Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9mm performance from long barrel

9mm performance from long barrel

I am looking at several options for a travel pack rifle that I can take interstate in my car (so no SBR). An AR pistol is one option, but there are several issues with these that concern me. My 16” AR carbine is another option, but it’s bigger than I wanted in this role and is rather expensive.

Two other options I am considering are the Beretta CX4 Storm in 9mm and the Aero Survival Rifle in .357 SIG.

The Beretta is a known quantity while the ASR is just an idea I’ve read about on-line.

With this in mind, what is the effectiveness of Federal’s standard pressure 147gr HST (my current carry load in my G26) when fired from a 16” barrel at 50, 100 and 150 yards? Is this a viable self defense round from this long a barrel at this range?

If it isn’t, would a +P round, either 147gr or 124gr be any better?

If no 9mm will be effective at this range from a 16” barrel, I may start looking at .357 SIG out of the ASR in the same role.

I know a rifle caliber is better than a pistol caliber, but the PCCs would be easier to carry than my carbine, and avoid the issue of unintentionally shouldering a brace-equipped pistol. They also offer a few other advantages that may make them a viable choice, but only if the round is effective at long range.

Site Supporter
    See http://ballisticsbytheinch.com

To answer your question, you will not get rifle ballistic efectiveness from a pistol round at distance associated with rifle shooting. We had a thread on carrying long guns during interstate travel. Some of us were not comfortable doing so when leaving the southern or western states. Two factors were magazine capacity and legality of loaded weapons in vehicle. The thread dealt with long guns because they were more likely to be legal than handguns in some states.

May I give an opinion that you didn't ask for? When traveling between states, I cannot see a valid reason to shoot at another person who might be 75 to 150 yards away from you. Doing so could very well send you to prison. This same statement might apply to us even at home. I urge you to rethink your need. Perhaps orthers here can chime in.

Site Supporter
    If you can find and vet a sub2000 that takes GLOCK magazines, that would be my pick. Not because it is the most awesome or whatever, but because it folds up and shares magazines with your carry pistol.

But truly? My travel long gun is a 20g 870 youth model. Waiting on a tube extension.
    Last edited by Duelist; 10-04-2018 at 12:26 AM.

My earlier research on this after buying an MPX carbine was that the lighter plus P loads gained a couple hundred FPS, subsonic 147s not very much.

A Glock 34 with an RMR perhaps?

14.5" .300BLK?
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    My travel long gun is a 20g 870 youth model. Waiting on a tube extension.
    Good plan.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I’ve seen 147 grain ammo lose velocity when fired from carbines. Not sure about HSTs in particular.

Standard 115s and 124s pick up speed, +p really picks up speed, 147s tend to be about the same speed as when launched from pistols.

Light fast bullets tend to get faster, I've seen some designs blow up instead of expand during close range testing in water and gelatin.

I run 124gr +P Gold Dots in my sub2000.

FWIW, with a 9mm Colt SMG I've hit targets out to 200 yards using the iron sights.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Federal 9BPLE +P+ is my choice in an AR9 for defensive purposes. It does fragment its jacket from a 16" barrel, usually, but the bulk of the slug (~100-grains) will push through 18-20" and usually tumble in there too.

The one downside to a long gun, a genuine long-gun, is when you travel through states that do not allow loaded long-guns to be carried in a vehicle. In this scenario, an AR9 pistol could be better, because it allows you to keep the gun loaded, as long as the state allows loaded handguns. Illinois, for instance says, "No loaded guns. Unless you have a valid Concealed Carry License from your home state, in which case a loaded pistol is okay." In that scenario, one could have a loaded AR pistol but not a loaded AR carbine.

I guess I'm less worried about shouldering the brace than having a usable gun accessible. A cheek weld will get you pretty close, period. I can't imagine the cops showing up on the scene and going, "Did you shoulder this braced pistol?!"

If one carries a Glock, a Glock-mag fed AR pistol would be hard to argue with as a <200 yard gun, loaded with +P rounds in 115-124 grains. They make an STI mag fed PCC now, but only in carbine format, I need one setup as a pistol to match my STI...that'd be sweet...

I have an AR pistol in 9mm with a 7" barrel and a KAC flash can on it. Winchester Ranger T 127 +P+ clocks 1306 at 10 feet.

Personally, I'd look hard at 10mm if you are talking true carbine use at 50 yards and out. I built mine for inside the house type work.

User Tag List