Thread: rmr zero on shotgun

rmr zero on shotgun

Hello,
    I have a 14 in Mossberg 590 with a Vang comp'd barrel and recently got the Scalawar mount with the Trijicon RMR to put on it. I have searched through the shotgun forum and am not having any luck finding the answer so I apologize if this has been addressed somewhere already. At what distance would you zero the RMR for? Also should you zero it with buckshot and search for a slug that patterns well out to a distance at that zero? or zero it at 100 yards with slugs and search for a buckshot load that has good accuracy with that same zero? the primary use of this shotgun is home defense and patrol duties.
    Thank you for your time

Last edited by Lon; 10-03-2018 at 11:34 PM.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Site Supporter
    I zero any shotguns used for duty at 50 yards with slugs because my qual course has 50 yard shooting. The buckshot I use (federal flight control) also seems to do fine at 25 and in with that zero. At 50 it is also ok staying on the body but that will be dependent on the slugs and buckshot you use as well.

For a straight up home defense gun I would zero it at 25 yards as there is no where in my house I would ever shoot that far and the zero is good for shorter distances as well.

I really find that a 50 yard zero with my slugs of choice coincide with my buckshot zero.

Thank you for the replies and advice. Sounds like 25 or 50 will be the way to go

I challenge anyone with a smooth barrel to post groups depicting the drop between a 25 and 50yd slug zero, lol

I use 50 because windage errors are much easier to see at 50. Many times I've corrected a 25 yard initial zero on the 50 yard line with regard to windage with slugs.

User Tag List