Thread: 38 Special- Early 90s style

38 Special- Early 90s style

Found these in an ammo can recently. The Treasury loads are 1987. The Corbon 1991, the Thunder Zap is 1989, not sure about the other two. Can’t say much of this is relevant today except maybe 1000 FPS FBI load from Corbon.

Name:  C4C0B14B-CDE4-47F3-B9B0-618B6D7ACF19.jpg
Views: 951
Size:  88.5 KB

Site Supporter
    We didn't know what we didn't know on ammo back then. The light was starting to shine through and there's now no excuse to get sucked in by gimmick ammo.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

The tubular and Thunderzap rounds may be of some value to ammo collectors.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    We didn't know what we didn't know on ammo back then. The light was starting to shine through and there's now no excuse to get sucked in by gimmick ammo.
    Back in the day when 'expert's' articles in Guns & Ammo were taken as gospel...

I still have some of that Corbon 1000fps LSWCHP. IIRC, it was a ballistic duplicate of the RCMP’s load, which was itself a hotter FBI load done at their request. Sort of like their uploaded federal 9bp (xm9001). At any rate, I like that Corbon. It smacked bowling pins with good authority from a 4" model 64 (proof that I was there in the late 80s/early90s, I guess).
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I am demented enough to covet all that ammo. (Particularly the PMC and Thunderzap)

Then I'd have the dilemma of throwing away money or "testing" it on various objects.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    The tubular and Thunderzap rounds may be of some value to ammo collectors.
    Thanks, have to find an ammo collector forum!

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    Back in the day when 'expert's' articles in Guns & Ammo were taken as gospel...
    Or at least a full color advertisement. I remember the PMC ad , back cover if I’m not mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    I still have some of that Corbon 1000fps LSWCHP. IIRC, it was a ballistic duplicate of the RCMP’s load, which was itself a hotter FBI load done at their request. Sort of like their uploaded federal 9bp (xm9001). At any rate, I like that Corbon. It smacked bowling pins with good authority from a 4" model 64 (proof that I was there in the late 80s/early90s, I guess).
    Yes it is a good idea. I knew Peter Pi in those days and he felt the commercial FBI loads were too slow, particularly in a snub. The 115 was a Sierra 9mm projectile he had custom sized, again trying to duplicate 9mm performance on a snub revolver. They made a lot of noise if I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    I am demented enough to covet all that ammo. (Particularly the PMC and Thunderzap)

Then I'd have the dilemma of throwing away money or "testing" it on various objects.
    I think I shot a water jug with the tubular, and a sand bucket. The Thunderzap is left over from the Second Chance Subway event.
    Last edited by Norville; 10-04-2018 at 07:01 AM.

I saw a place online that was selling that PMC ammo for $10 a round.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    I saw a place online that was selling that PMC ammo for $10 a round.
    Were they actually selling any? I think the box is half full.

Quote Originally Posted by Norville View Post
    Were they actually selling any? I think the box is half full.
    I have no idea if it was selling or not. I don't remember where I saw it. It was some obscure place I have never seen before.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

User Tag List