Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: San Diego CA RFI

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Brunch at the Hotel Del Coronado. You might catch a glimpse of a BUDs class frolicking in the surf on Yellow Beach to the south.

Okie John
    Or you can have a delicious breakfast with BUDs guys at Marie Calendar's on Coronado on the weekend.
    Last edited by LittleLebowski; 10-04-2018 at 05:32 AM.
    #RESIST

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    The B-39 at the Maritime Museum was awesome, if you like that sort of thing. I went on a weekday and spent about two hours crawling around down there. No clue what anything did, but it looked neat.

Name:  9937_10100477475392534_984937917_n.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  94.1 KB

Name:  483475_10100477475312694_1687066699_n.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  80.5 KB

Don't try to walk from the waterfront to Balboa park, because there is evidently no way for pedestrians to get across the highway. The park seemed nice from a distance, though.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

In'N'Out. The Torrey Pines Gliderport is pretty cool to go watch people jump off of cliffs. Colimas or Johnny Manana's Mexican food in Oceanslime.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    The B-39 at the Maritime Museum was awesome, if you like that sort of thing.
    Well it's not a work-related trip () but I will definitely check that out...
    Last edited by RJ; 10-04-2018 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Or you can have a delicious breakfast with BUDs guys at Marie Calendar's on Coronado on the weekend.
    And drink with them at https://www.mcpspub.com/

10/10, would do again.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    Rich,

San Diego has always been one of my favorite stops as a pilot. The Aero Club is a great place to stop by for a cocktail. It used to be the meeting place for engineers and pilots after a long days work. The Whiskey selection there is huge!

From there go over to El Indio or Lucha Libres for Mexican food. I give the edge to Lucha Libres because of the old school Mexican Wrestler decor and their huge, delicious burritos.

From there go to Little Italy, and hit the Ballast Point Tasting Room. The food is awesome, and they have all of Ballast Point’s offerings on tap.

Still hungry? Go down the street to Filippi’s for some Italian! Great food with an old school Italian feel.

The Gaslamp Quarter has a ton of bars and restaurants. It’s hard to go wrong there.

Over in Ocean Beach, go grab a coffee in the morning, and go hike thru Sunset Cliffs park. Then take Sunny Days up to Dog Beach for some fun with other happy K9’s.

At this point, you should be hungry again, so go to the OB Noodle House Bar 1502 for some Pho and their delicious spicy garlic wings. Wash that down with their happy hour specials and you will be a happy camper.

Stone Brewing World is another great stop as well.

The USS Midway is a must see attraction along with the zoo. Old Town is worth a look as well! Enjoy your trip.

Leaving Sunday, looking forward to the trip.

Couple questions?

Mrs. wants to make a reservation for Thanksgiving Dinner next Thursday We are downtown at the Grand Hyatt. Are there any good local places in walking/cab distance distance from the hotel?

Or I guess we could take a Uber; but I must be like one of three people in the US who have never used Uber lol.

Last one is hobby related: the Lenny Magill Glock Store is 9.6 miles North of the hotel up towards Miramar. Is it worth a visit?

If not this trip I may try and check it out when I’m next in SD. I have a system going in at MCAS Miramar next year, so there is a pretty good chance I’ll be out there for work anyway.

Just back from attending a wedding so time for sightseeing was limited. We were also entertaining a two year old so that drove what we did. We hit the Midway Friday afternoon and it was great. We didn't get to see the whole ship but we all had a blast. Sunday, we spent time in Old Town (our hotel was there) and at Belmont Park. Good food and entertaining as well.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Site Supporter
    1. We enjoy the people watching at Ocean Beach and dive bar hopping there - warning homeless and smelly hippies abound
    2. Little Italy has some great food, walk around and do an appetizer wine crawl or eat at Buon Appetito
    3. Gaslamp has a great nightlight, Donovan's Steak and Chop House might be a good (pricey) thanksgiving meal
    4. Blue Water Seafood Market and Grill has awesome food, but I recommend calling ahead and picking up to go, line goes out the door and place is small, fills up fast
    5. Napizza in Little Italy has good, wood fired and kind of gourmet pizzas
    6. Craft and Commerce in Little Italy is a great cocktail bar
    7. Mitch's Seafood has some amazing fish tacos and you can grab it and sit on the harbor and eat if it's nice out (it's always nice out)
    8. Old Town is pretty cool, food everywhere, but pretty touristy. Fun, but better authentic Mexican or other cuisine can be found IMO

Keep in mind I'm 31 with a wife in her mid 20s and I know you are a couple years older so our priorities may be different

San Diego CA RFI

Just got back from San Diego on Friday. Only had two full days, so my ability to tourist was limited. We stayed at the Hilton right on the harbor, next to Petco Field.

We took the Old Town Trolley tour. It’s about $40 per person, and takes about two hours. But it gives you a good overview of the town, and the ability to hop on and off the trolley all day. New trolleys arrive every 20-30 min.

We got off and walked around Coronado. Waded in the pacific, walked on the beach. And we had some whiskeys in the Navy Seal bar that Chris Kyle erroneously claimed to have punched our Jessie Ventura. Coronado is nice.

Would have loved to spend a day in Balboa Park too. Lots of museums there.

I would need a good 3-5 days to see it all.

We did have an “incident” I may post in another thread. Walking out of a bar in the Gaslight district. We had just enjoyed dinner (me, my wife and my 21 year old son). Walking around Gaslight district is typically crowded streets. But one particular block was near empty, but you could see the following block was very well trafficked. We were walking back to the hotel, and were crossing the well lit but empty block. “MOOOOVE” was screamed into my ear from less than a foot behind. I fully admit I jumped. I spun and shirtless guy shoved between my son and I, and stomps past. I mention the “shirtless” because it was in the high 50s with the wind chill. About 5’7”, zero% body fat, appeared to be homeless and on a strict pharmacological diet. Now, he did not mug us, threaten us or do anything more than scream at us from behind squeeze between us. In the end, I had a height/weight advantage, and a G26. But the whole thing caught me totally off guard as I strolled and chatted with my family. I was in total sheep mode. My wife was upset, and insisted we call a Lyft. My son and I were good with walking more, the wife was right I suppose.

Overall, I enjoyed the visit. Even with weird homeless dude.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Gadfly; 11-13-2018 at 09:07 PM.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

User Tag List