Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: San Diego CA RFI

I highly recommend renting a pair of street bikes at:
    San Diego Bike Shop
    619 C St, San Diego, CA 92101

Then ride down to the Midway and take the ferry across to Coronado. Either do the full loop below, (download it into your phone's Google Maps app) or just ride down the strand bike path and back up to Coronado. Either way ride around Coronado on bicycle.

https://www.sandiego.org/articles/bi...e-bikeway.aspx

The entire path is very level and if you budget several hours plus lunch in Coronado you will have a great time.

You can also bike up and down the shore around your hotel. The boardwalk on Pacific Beach, Mission Beach and Mission Park are very pleasant level places to bicycle.

If you like seafood and or mexican food eat at:
    Oscar's Mexican Seafood on Emerald in Pacific Beach.

Your hotel is in a great location. Definitely, use Yelp. There are a lot of great independent restaurants in Little Italy and the Gaslamp. I recommend using Uber, especially at night. Anywhere in Little Italy and Gaslamp District to your hotel will be about $7 each way.

If you have time, the USS Midway museum is worth visiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Ok we booked the Manchester Grand Hyatt at Market Place. Seems to be near where we wanted to be (translation: I was told to book this hotel )

Not sure we'll need a car just yet we might enjoy the city tour and take the bus or public transportation downtown.

Thanks all!
    Last edited by John10-19; 11-14-2018 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Last one is hobby related: the Lenny Magill Glock Store is 9.6 miles North of the hotel up towards Miramar. Is it worth a visit?
    If you rent a car it's worth a trip, but probably not if you are just planning on an Uber. It's a pretty large showroom and the employees are friendly and knowledgeable. The indoor range is sweet but spendy.

San Diego CA RFI

Thanks all.

We arrived safely last night and checked in to the Hyatt.

Had a quick bite at the Brew30 bar at the hotel. Apparently we are across the street from the bar where the singing scene from Top Gun was filmed?

We are planning to start the week by taking a loop on the Old Town Trolley to get a feel for the city. Early picks look like the Seaport Village, Maritime Museum, Midway, the Foxtrot submarine, and the Star of India.
    Last edited by RJ; 11-19-2018 at 10:43 AM.

I went to high school in Coronado, its gorgeous and definitely worth spending a few hours there. I can't remember where the bar from Top Gun is but I do remember hearing that it burnt down. The pool from the graduation scene is on North Island, though it was a little run down when I worked there years ago.

San Diego CA RFI

We’ve enjoyed the couple days so far. Just some reactions:

Monday we left the Embarcadero on an enjoyable all day Old Towne Trolley Tour. After motoring past Horton Plaza, we went over the bridge to Coronado for a drive by the Hotel Del.

We then went through Balboa Park (wow) and saw Dog park. After going through Little Italy, and seeing the Hill from Top Gun, we ate lunch in Old Town at Casa de Reyes, then had a walk around before touring back to the hotel.

I noticed a real absence of cars and traffic downtown. Gas is $4 a gallon, which might be why lol. And Lots of electric Razors.

And: The Weather.

Oh. My. God.

No humidity and 68°F. Holy cow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RJ; 11-20-2018 at 05:36 PM.

Today’s activity centered on the USS Midway. We ordered online and skipped the line with a good discount. The Midway is awesome; like going back in time.

The highlight of my day was that we opted to try the electric scooters:

From the Hyatt to the ship and back cost a total of about $5.

These scooters are everywhere, apparently a new craze here in urban cities on the west coast.

We opted to try the Bird brand, a startup by a guy who left the Lyft brand for scooters for hire.

After a simple app download, register your credit card, using one is fairly painless. You use the App to find one, beep it to unlock it, and away you go.

They go up to 15 mph, and you can take them anywhere.

We plan to use them tomorrow to get up to the Maritime Museum, which for us is about a 1.5 mile one way.

Highly recommend eating some tacos at Puesto, which is right next door to you. I'd consider it basically mandatory given how close it is; they basically started the "high end" taco trend.

In the other direction, you're maybe 3 blocks from the Gaslamp district, which has some great places to eat, too. I've wanted to try The Dive SKC, which is a steam-cooker seafood place, but can't vouch for it personally.

The maritime museum has some great exhibits (like the ship used to film Master and Commander and looks like they have a replica 16th century galleon now too) and you can take a harbor cruise on a swift boat for something like $10...that was definately the best part of the several weeks I spent in San Diego, although I am a total maritime history nerd. Lucha Libre taco shop was a close second.

Had a great time Wednesday exploring the many ships of the Maritime Museum. We rode the scooters again; they are a lot of fun to ride lol.

The HMS Surprise:

A Russian Foxtrot Submarine:

We ate lunch at Puesta, the Taco place. Very good!

Today was quiet due to the holiday, so we took the Green Line Trolley up to Fashion Valley Mall to see a movie. That went well; $2 for a card and the fare was only $5. Trolley was very clean:

Tonight we had a nice Date Night Dinner at Sally’s near the Embarcadero. Very enjoyable.

Tomorrow is our last day here, so we’ve rented a car, and are going exploring up the coast, perhaps to have lunch in La Jolla and explore the area a bit more before flying home Saturday.

San Diego CA RFI

Rented a car today and drove up the I5 towards Oceanside.

Had a very agreeable lunch at the 333 Pacific restaurant, near Oceanside Pier. Our table view:

Stopped at the Macy’s at La Jolla Village for the Mrs. to explore Black Friday, then headed to near Miramar and The Glock Store.

Besides the obligatory T shirt I got a OEM Extended Slide Stop Lever and an Extended Slide Lock.

Headed home to Tampa tomorrow. We thoroughly enjoyed our trip.

Thanks to everyone for the input, I really appreciate it.

Last edited by RJ; 11-23-2018 at 05:50 PM.

User Tag List