Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: San Diego CA RFI

San Diego CA RFI

San Diego California?

Anyone?

Mrs. Rich and I are going to spend a week there over Thanksgiving. I've been to Cali but mostly driving; from Sac up to Napa and then points North in the RV. Both of us like the water, and thoroughly enjoyed our brief drive along Big Sur and the coastline in the Airstream.

We have not made hotel reservations yet, just the flight. We plan to get a car to get around. We are likely to do Balboa Park/Zoo, the USS Midway, and the coastline, but any other things that are can't miss?

Thanks and appreciate any suggestions.

Rich

Brunch at the Hotel Del Coronado. You might catch a glimpse of a BUDs class frolicking in the surf on Yellow Beach to the south.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Brunch at the Hotel Del Coronado. You might catch a glimpse of a BUDs class frolicking in the surf on Yellow Beach to the south.

Okie John
    Cool! I forgot that was in that area. We will definitely check that out, thanks.

Site Supporter
    Agree with Okie John. The Del Coronado is a wonderful place.

LaJolla: The Cove and downtown.
    In the summer I love swimming the Cove. Don't know about November.
    Have a great many memories with my young kids there.

AleSmith Brewing Company. Great beer.
    take an Uber.

Site Supporter
    Nothing constructive to add, but when I think of San Diego, CA I think of....

I grew up in Coronado (I remember the day the bridge opened) so to me it's nothing special, but the Del is pretty neat. I went to college in La Jolla, and a visit there and seeing the cove might be worthwhile. A drive up the coast from La Jolla through the small towns (Del Mar, Encinitas, Solana Beach, Cardiff, Leucadia) would be another good option.

What I liked the most about San Diego was that you could have the beach, mountains, and desert. The escarpment (~5000 foot transition from desert to mountains) is pretty spectacular, so a drive out to Borrego Springs via Julian might be a good day trip. I had a truck and then a Jeep in high school, and I spent a lot of time driving, hiking, and camping all over the backcountry. However, I moved away a long long time ago, so things might be different now.

Coincidentally, I'll be in San Diego the next couple of weeks for business.

Ok we booked the Manchester Grand Hyatt at Market Place. Seems to be near where we wanted to be (translation: I was told to book this hotel )

Not sure we'll need a car just yet we might enjoy the city tour and take the bus or public transportation downtown.

Thanks all!

Depending on your tollerance for apps, Lyft and the scooter-sharing work great. I never rent a car in San Diego unless I need to go beyond La Jolla.

Non-millennials look ridiculous on scooters but it is very effective in the city.
    Last edited by TheRoland; 10-03-2018 at 08:26 PM.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post

Okie John
    Don't miss Ft Rosecrans National Cemetery while you are there. Amazing place. Think Arlington with incredible beauty all around. Beautiful and sobering.

Site Supporter
    It’s been a while but Karl Strauss Brewing was pretty good last time I was in town. Good food and good beer.

They have been around since 1953.

https://www.karlstrauss.com/visit/downtown-san-diego/

User Tag List