Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Combat" or "Target" sights?

"Combat" or "Target" sights?

Just thinking about the sights on the different guns I have, all are service/combat type guns, no real target guns in the mix. My 1911 probably has the most basic sights, I painted the front sight florescent orange, but even before doing so, I tended to shoot it the most accurately. It's strictly a range toy, though, not a carry piece. The one slated for that duty is a new to me CZ P-07 Duty. It has tritium night sights, although the lamps are pretty dim, and the white outline is pretty small, so I struggle with them a bit. That said, a few non-sight related changes, and that pistol is becoming a rock star, although I'm still not that happy with the sights. I'm now getting why this is such a highly regarded carry pistol. But I digress.

So my question is, what features make a sight system target vs. combat? And what features are most critical in a combat sight? On the one hand, I've seen folks claim that a defensive pistol should always have night sights, while others say what use is seeing the sights if you can't see, and more critically identify, the target? Three dot setups have become ubiquitous over the years, but I don't find them that effective for me. The orange painted front sight on my 1911 is very fast to pick up, at least in daylight, and stands out nicely against the plain black rear sight, although the notch could probably be a bit wider and deeper.

So I guess what I'm really asking is what's the best setup for an EDC? I realize it's at least partly subjective, but as I'm planning on changing the sights on the CZ anyway, I thought I'd see if there was a consensus on "best" among the gunfighters on this forum. Thanks!

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by daved20319 View Post
    So my question is, what features make a sight system target vs. combat?
    Adjustability - e.g. most target sights are user click adjustable.

And what features are most critical in a combat sight?
    Other than providing a good sight picture for the user, durability and non-adjustability.

On the one hand, I've seen folks claim that a defensive pistol should always have night sights, while others say what use is seeing the sights if you can't see, and more critically identify, the target?
    I don't have night sights, I'm not sure that it has hampered me that much as of yet, but, I could be wrong. Gio had a nice thread about low light and night sights and I think settled on his preference for them. Gabe White seems to prefer a FO front and has a few great posts on vision and sights.

Three dot setups have become ubiquitous over the years, but I don't find them that effective for me. The orange painted front sight on my 1911 is very fast to pick up, at least in daylight, and stands out nicely against the plain black rear sight, although the notch could probably be a bit wider and deeper.
    I find 3-dot sights distracting and much prefer a serrated back blade. I like a good visibility front sight, that said, you get used to seeing what you get used to seeing after a while, so some of it is just wiring your brain and teaching it what to look for.

So I guess what I'm really asking is what's the best setup for an EDC? I realize it's at least partly subjective, but as I'm planning on changing the sights on the CZ anyway, I thought I'd see if there was a consensus on "best" among the gunfighters on this forum. Thanks!
    YMMV, but I like non-adjustable flat black rear sight with a nice sight picture. I like a certain type of sight picture so much that I convinced Wilson Combat to produce them for the Beretta 92 series guns.

Good luck - hope that helps?

^ great find, really.

Thanks, guys, that does help. So Les, could you point me to the sights you got WC to produce, and do you know if something similar is available for the CZ P-07? I'm still floundering a bit, and some more direction would be very helpful. Thanks!

Dave

Thanks, guys, that does help. So Les, could you point me to the sights you got WC to produce, and do you know if something similar is available for the CZ P-07? I'm still floundering a bit, and some more direction would be very helpful. Thanks!

Dave
    Here is the rear sight he designed.

https://www.langdontactical.com/wils...are-notch-305/
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Also the target sights usually have the front post appear to be only slightly narrower than the notch in the rear so, in theory, they are more accurate. Combat or action shooting sights usually have more light showing on either side of the front post because it is a bit narrower or the rear notch is a bit wider.

Dave
    I have a P-07 and prefer similar sight setups that Les does. I have Dawson Precision Competition FO front/blacked out rear sights on mine. I very much like them.

https://dawsonprecision.com/copy-of-...r-optic-front/

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

I've played with most every sight set that the big name trainers produce and the thing that sticks out having talked to them is that anything you shoot at in combat is a target and you need to be able to see the sights.

You can pretty much guess a trainer's age by looking at the sights they make.

In my mind, "target" sights are black on black, preferably serrated, with an adjustable rear. "Combat" sights are fixed, with high visibility front (some contrasting color ring) and some mechanism to make them more visible (FO, tritium, etc).

What's most suited to daily carry? I'd ask, what do you expect to do with your EDC pistol - shoot paper, or defend your life? That answer should dictate what "type" of sights your pistol wears.

On the question of FO vs tritium; rear dots versus plain rear, "opinions are like assholes - everyone has one, and most of them stink." What works for me might not (and clearly DOES not) work for others. I PREFER a high visibility high contrast front tritium equipped sight, with no-"ring" rear tritium dots. For me and my eyes, these work the best through a wide variety of lighting conditions, especially when paired with a weapon light and/or handheld light.

User Tag List