Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Leaked: HK VP9B - Button Mag Release

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    No (excessive) offence to those that have done it but you really have to fuck up to pull the trigger on the VP9 instead of dropping a magazine. I have fucked up a lot of things shooting handguns but that has not once been one of them.

I have however seen many NDs due to people having no clue what they're doing.
    You do know, don’t you, that perhaps the strongest shooter on the HK team did precisely that, leading to a DQ in a match?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Dang, George..I hope he wasn't using a Serpa holster as well....

Yeah, give me an opportunity for a cheap line and I'll take it...

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    You do know, don’t you, that perhaps the strongest shooter on the HK team did precisely that, leading to a DQ in a match?
    So we have a sample of one now at least.

I wonder how many people have shot themselves in the legs with Glocks? Must mean they're defective, they could really use a safety lever.
    Last edited by Peally; 10-03-2018 at 01:34 PM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

I don’t see this as a big deal.

I think the trigger guard release on the p30/vp9 is actually faster and prefer it to thumb.

Also I use my middle finger to hit the release on p30/vp9. Works the fastest and is the most reliable way for me.

I am not carrying a HK anymore but never found the trigger guard release to be a hinderamce.

I find it curious that many who advocate for the trigger to be in hard register against the slide, except when shooting, are OK with using the trigger finger to release the magazine. In USPSA, a disproportionate percentage of ND’s are with PCC shooters, almost invariably when they hit the trigger and not the magazine release when executing a fast reload.
    I use my "social" finger to snag the mag release, regardless of paddle or button. Maybe that works better at preventing oopsie boomies.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

I can easily see how one could inadvertently squeeze off a round using the dominant trigger finger to actuate the mag release on a VP9/P30/HK45 etc. Hell I came close to hitting the trigger a few times (empty gun) when I tried to do it. It’s a lot easier (and safer) for me to use the middle finger to drop the mag with my P30.

Folks coming from the more common button release to the paddle generally tend to look at it and go “This is so dumb and counter-intuitive, who did this?” I know I did when I first fiddled with the VP9. For those who take the time to learn it and appreciate it for its innate ambidexterousness, the paddle release makes sense and has its attractiveness.

However, think of where we are with firearms design these days: keep it so simple a caveman can do it. When the vast majority are making button releases, very few are going to take the time to invest in training on a different system. It’s like striker vs TDA to a degree, which one is easier to work with and teach on for the non-dedicated shooter? Plus, add in the increased potential to ND by using one’s trigger finger to hit the mag release that’s closer to the trigger and one can understand why some would be hesitant to look at HKs.

The important takeaway right now is at least there’s options between the two. I could see them maybe axing the paddle as standard if variant B gets more sales. You’d likely still have the paddle as an option for the “purists”.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

I am glad that HK offers a paddle release for those that prefer them. I will be even gladder if HK also offers a button release, and has engineered that button release, as I have heard, so it uses existing P30/VP9 magazines.

I work hard at shooting a range of pistols, have worked hard on multiple model HK pistols, and have found that the paddle release stands between me and the reload speed I see with button release pistols. I would love to see some links of people doing 1.20 and faster reloads with paddle release HK pistols, so I can see what I am doing wrong.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I would love to see some links of people doing 1.20 and faster reloads with paddle release HK pistols, so I can see what I am doing wrong.
    The secret sauce is you're not going fast enough

My bottleneck on reload speeds is remembering to reach for the mag on my belt with a sporty purpose (and not missing the magwell). You have a lot of time to get the mag out of the gun before it conflicts with something and causes you time (IE the new mag hitting the old one).
    Last edited by Peally; 10-03-2018 at 06:06 PM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Site Supporter
    I am glad that HK offers a paddle release for those that prefer them. I will be even gladder if HK also offers a button release, and has engineered that button release, as I have heard, so it uses existing P30/VP9 magazines.

I work hard at shooting a range of pistols, have worked hard on multiple model HK pistols, and have found that the paddle release stands between me and the reload speed I see with button release pistols. I would love to see some links of people doing 1.20 and faster reloads with paddle release HK pistols, so I can see what I am doing wrong.
    So you are saying there is one of these in your future?

Quote Originally Posted by Guinnessman View Post
    So you are saying there is one of these in your future?
    To go along with the one (or more) of everything else he has?

User Tag List