Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Leaked: HK VP9B - Button Mag Release

I find it curious that many who advocate for the trigger to be in hard register against the slide, except when shooting, are OK with using the trigger finger to release the magazine. In USPSA, a disproportionate percentage of ND’s are with PCC shooters, almost invariably when they hit the trigger and not the magazine release when executing a fast reload.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I find it curious that many who advocate for the trigger to be in hard register against the slide, except when shooting, are OK with using the trigger finger to release the magazine. In USPSA, a disproportionate percentage of ND’s are with PCC shooters, almost invariably when they hit the trigger and not the magazine release when executing a fast reload.
    Perks of being a left-eyed shooter in the Army is that I got really good at using my left hand on the right-side selector, and I use my right thumb on the magazine release.
    Not good for a gun-games fast reload, but I never lose magazines or have SERPA-like ND's either... which I have seen, regrettably.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    HK had an old mantra that was something to the effect of 'buy 1000 of them and we'll build you whatever you want'.
    On a European LE contract they reversed the safety on the USP so that 'Fire' was in the up position, 'Safe' was in the down position, and decock was down from 'Safe'.

So while it occasionally produces silly stuff - that mantra gave the world the MP5/10, and I'm pretty darn tootin' okay with that.

It'll be interesting to try a VP9 with a button release.
    That wasn't a European LE contract per se (although they may well have been used for that also), but for the German Bundeswehr/German armed forces contract, the USP 9 V8, or the P8. I strongly suspect that it just might be their single largest USP contract and continuing contract. Similarly, the Norwegian police contract was probably single-handedly responsible for the creation of the P30L (with absolutely zero complaints from me).

I don't have any issues with the paddle, and actually quite like them. That said, I'm fine with HK making a button magazine release version. I suspect that in the long run agencies choosing an HK VP over a SIG P320 will be much, much better served with the HK selection, regarding the intrinsic quality of the guns and in the tailorability of the HK grips via the multiple backstraps and side panels included with each individual pistol.

Hopefully (and to echo GJM's question) both variants will use the same magazines-anyone definitively know yet?

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 10-03-2018 at 12:15 PM.

I've never thought of HKs for serious use. Mostly because of the paddle release. Didnt want to relearn what I have down.

-Cory
    Last edited by Cory; 10-03-2018 at 12:20 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    That wasn't a European LE contract per se (although they may well have been used for that also), but for the German Bundeswehr/German armed forces contract, the USP 9 V8, or the P8. I strongly suspect that it just might be their single largest USP contract and continuing contract. Similarly, the Norwegian police contract was probably single-handedly responsible for the creation of the P30L (with absolutely zero complaints from me).

I don't have any issues with the paddle, and actually quite like them. That said, I'm fine with HK making a button magazine release version. I suspect that in the long run agencies choosing an HK VP over a SIG P320 will be much, much better served with the HK selection, regarding the intrinsic quality of the guns and in the tailorability of the HK grips via the multiple backstraps and side panels included with each individual pistol.

Hopefully (and to echo GJM's question) both variants will use the same magazines-anyone definitively know yet?

Best, Jon
    Thank you for the correction - I remembered reading all about that variant but I'm surprised I mixed up the Bundeswehr with European LE.

Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post
    I've never thought of HKs for serious use. Mostly because of the paddle release. Didnt want to relearn what I have down.

-Cory
    Cory, it's actually pretty simple, with a close to zero learning curve. The HK magazine release paddles (especially the larger ones on the newer HKs, such as the P30s, VPs and HK45 and 45C) are exceptionally well placed and easy/natural to use. And I've had no difficulties in switching back and forth with button-release pistols after using my HKs.

I think the paddle releases actually require a bit less hand motion/wrist torquing to activate than do many button magazines require.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    Thank you for the correction - I remembered reading all about that variant but I'm surprised I mixed up the Bundeswehr with European LE.
    As I recall, the Bundeswehr specified it due to decades of muscle memory and institutional use/training built up associated with the P1/P38 safety lever operation.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    No (excessive) offence to those that have done it but you really have to fuck up to pull the trigger on the VP9 instead of dropping a magazine. I have fucked up a lot of things shooting handguns but that has not once been one of them.

I have however seen many NDs due to people having no clue what they're doing.
    Last edited by Peally; 10-03-2018 at 12:39 PM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Cory, it's actually pretty simple, with a close to zero learning curve. The HK magazine release paddles (especially the larger ones on the newer HKs, such as the P30s, VPs and HK45 and 45C) are exceptionally well placed and easy/natural to use. And I've had no difficulties in switching back and forth with button-release pistols after using my HKs.

I think the paddle releases actually require a bit less hand motion/wrist torquing to activate than do many button magazines require.

Best, Jon
    I also tend to release magazines with my dominate (Right) hand middle finger. I don't think a paddle will work well for that.

-Cory

Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post
    I also tend to release magazines with my dominate (Right) hand middle finger. I don't think a paddle will work well for that.

-Cory
    I experimented with that, along with using my strong hand thumb; both were viable (at least for me), but I naturally seem to defer to using my strong hand index/trigger finger with HK magazine release paddles.

Best, Jon

User Tag List