Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Federal 45 HST 4in barrel velocities?

Federal 45 HST 4in barrel velocities?

Has anyone run the 230gr HST and 230gr HST +P load over a chrono from a 4-4.25in barrel? I'm thinking of ordering some HST and was curious what differences anyone has seen between the two out of a ~4in barrel. In the Lucky Gunner testing the difference from a ~3in barrel was only 20 fps or so. Thanks.

Site Supporter
    Federal's numbers from a 5" inch barrel are 890 fps and 950 fps.

Quote Originally Posted by scjbash View Post
    Federal's numbers from a 5" inch barrel are 890 fps and 950 fps.
    I know, but those numbers will be less from a 4in barrel. For example my pistol launches Golden Sabers at 800fps which are spec'd at 875 from a 5in. If the HST+P is averaging 890 fps and the standard pressure is averaging 860 fps there isn't much advantage to the +P. If the standard pressure only runs 820 and the +P is over 870, then the +P makes sense. I want to be in the target window of 870-920 fps.
    Last edited by Hot Cereal; 10-02-2018 at 11:42 PM.

The standard pressure .45ACP 230-grain HST was tested here

http://ballisticsbytheinch.com/45auto2.html

and registered 838 fps from the 4'' barrel and 789 fps from the 3'' barrel.

Unfortunately, the +P version was not tested.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Site Supporter
    Doc has tests from both loads on here but I think they're also from 5" barrels. This is a quote from him though.

HST’s tend to work best using heavier bullets (147 gr, 180 gr, 230 gr) at moderate velocities, with standard pressures.

Maybe that could change in a 4" barrel but I imagine it would have to be negligible, and from my experience shooting both I went with the round that's slightly easier to shoot over the one that may have a slight terminal ballistic advantage.

Then I ditched both for 9mm.

I’m pretty sure I chrono’d both these rounds in my G30. I’m away for a few days, but can look it up when I get home.

The latest .45 HSTs are hotter than the old ones and use small pistol primers. I chronoed the 230gr load at 885fps from a 4.7" barrel. Not sure on a 4" barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Galbraith View Post
    The latest .45 HSTs are hotter than the old ones and use small pistol primers. I chronoed the 230gr load at 885fps from a 4.7" barrel. Not sure on a 4" barrel.
    Did Federal change the spec?

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I’m pretty sure I chrono’d both these rounds in my G30. I’m away for a few days, but can look it up when I get home.
    Would be much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Cereal View Post
    Did Federal change the spec?
    The last batch that I bought was in 2015, it had large primers, and had an average velocity of 844fps from a Sig P220 4.4" barrel. The new HST which I think changed in 2016, uses a small primer and runs at 871fps from the same Sig P220 4.4" barrel.

I've noticed that Winchester also increased the velocity of their standard pressure .45acp Ranger Talon and Ranger Bonded loads to get closer to 900fps. Most likely the changes by Federal and Winchester are to improve the barrier penetration ability of their product.

I don't run gel tests, just 1gal water jug tests. The old .45 HST load would penetrate three water jugs, often pierce the 4th jug so that it leaked, and the bullet remain in the 3rd jug. I could do this test over and over again with the same results, and the 9mm 147gr HST and .40S&W 180gr HST penetrated to the same depth. However, this new .45 HST will penetrate 4 jugs and the bullet will remain in the 4th jug. The current 9mm and .40 loads do not penetrate that deeply. Out of a Sig P320 .45, the new .45 HST has rather mild recoil, so it has become my new duty/carry load. Here is a pic of the latest 9mm 147gr and .45acp 230gr HST loads:
    Last edited by Galbraith; 10-03-2018 at 08:22 AM.

User Tag List