Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trigger Finger Placement

Trigger Finger Placement

J-Frame noob here. Where do you position your finger on the trigger? I’m finding I have a lot more control by wrapping my finger around the trigger in regards to stacking and stability. However it feels counter intuitive because of how I shoot a striker fired pistol.
    Name:  57F9D363-0DC4-4389-877D-8B1D630E28AC.jpg
Views: 662
Size:  22.5 KBName:  8B820EF2-D857-4836-8E64-473840F7CBC4.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  20.4 KB
    Last edited by 23JAZ; 10-02-2018 at 10:32 PM.

Looks like your finger placement is on the first cress which is correct. At the range you can try Claude Werner's dummy drill which is fire 1 open cyl and spin then close, repeat until you get 5 dry fires in a row. Good luck
    CYA Mike
    The Thin Blue Line is TOO Thin........Thug Life Must End

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Pipes View Post
    Looks like your finger placement is on the first cress which is correct. At the range you can try Claude Werner's dummy drill which is fire 1 open cyl and spin then close, repeat until you get 5 dry fires in a row. Good luck
    CYA Mike
    Great tip, thanks Mike.

That looks like my j-frame finger placement. Totally different from how I shoot an SFA auto.
    Last edited by Irelander; 10-03-2018 at 08:03 AM.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

It is different and it should be!

Do you drive a manual transmission the same way you drive an automatic? Sure, they both have a steering wheel and some pedals, but there are subtle differences, and that’s ok!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Get your grip right, let the finger hit where it's going to hit. I want my wrist neutral and in line with the forearm bones so the gun points straight without fishing for the sights and recoils/settles as near to perfectly vertical as possible. If you are torquing your wrist around to get more or less finger on the trigger, that's going to cause more issues than it fixes IMO. As long as it's *somewhere* near the first joint of the finger, I'm fine with it. If I can barely get my first pad on it or I'm so deep in the trigger my finger is hitting my off hand (the more normal issue with small guns) changing the grip out becomes the next step.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    That's the way I shoot J frames and also small autos like G42/43. Otherwise I get the front sight twitch to the right.
    Adam

As BBI said - get the gun sitting in the pocket of the hand right first - then worry about the trigger. If you're canting the gun over sideways for more or less trigger finger, you're doing it wrong. If, when you get the gun in the hand properly, you can't stroke the trigger well, swap the grips out and dry-fire.

Site Supporter
    You might find Grant Cunningham's Book of The Revolver useful. He does a good job discussing finger placement and bore alignment with your forearm. It's a real good "new to revolvers" book. Available through Amazon tab in header row above.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    As BBI said - get the gun sitting in the pocket of the hand right first - then worry about the trigger. If you're canting the gun over sideways for more or less trigger finger, you're doing it wrong. If, when you get the gun in the hand properly, you can't stroke the trigger well, swap the grips out and dry-fire.
    That picture is where my finger naturally falls on the trigger. It feels perfect and I have the best control of the trigger in that position. I was just wondering if there was a better way of doing it that my noob self didn’t know about.
    Thanks for all the great input everyone!
    Last edited by 23JAZ; 10-03-2018 at 05:55 PM.

User Tag List