Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Federal FC #1 Available?

I would definitely buy a case.

I’m in for a case.

Also in for a case

Site Supporter
    I'm in for a case. Thanks for volunteering to co-ordinate, Tom.

Site Supporter
    I'll take a case as well.

EDIT: Assuming a case is 250 rounds. Thanks, Tom, for trying to make this happen.
    Last edited by pangloss; 10-08-2018 at 08:07 PM.

Site Supporter
    FWIW, I heard back from my POC at Federal/Vista. The word was, "No ETA on any new production runs" for LE132-1B, but I didn't ask about any minimum orders for a production lot.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

Quote Originally Posted by ragnar_d View Post
    FWIW, I heard back from my POC at Federal/Vista. The word was, "No ETA on any new production runs" for LE132-1B, but I didn't ask about any minimum orders for a production lot.
    Well, that’s better than “We’ll never run it again “

Isn't there an equivalent load made by another manufacturer. With DocGKR's ammo recommendation list, there are more than one recommendation for each caliber. Or is Federal's FC#1 the chosen one?

Site Supporter
    Hornady is the only other option in a flight control type wad, and I don't believe that they offer a #1 buck option. When I couldn't find any #1 buck I went with FFC low recoil 00 8 pellet. It patterns very well out of my gun. I would advise people to be wary of 9 pellet the likelihood of fliers seems to go up substantially with the extra pellet.

I have heard enough good things that I would buy a case #1 to try out.
    Last edited by Nocturnalis Discipulo; 10-09-2018 at 01:02 AM.

Site Supporter
    Whether birdshot or buck shot pellet deformation causes fliers. I've observed these methods used to reduce deformation: reducing pellet number; placing granular buffering material among pellets; using a plastic wad to protect pellets from bore; and using harder shot, especially plated shot. Sometimes more than one of these strategies will be used at the same time. Going the other direction, some buckshot shells have no plastic wad and no buffering. These examples are most likely to produce fliers because no steps have been taken to reduce pellet deformation. S&B buck shot is the biggest offender that I have seen in this regard. I would hesitate to say that all 9 pellet buckshot shells will produce fliers because there are premium offerings designed to pattern well. There are also 23/4 inch shells containing 12 pellets. These have magnum in their designation. They have terrible recoil. Although I never tested these, logic says that this version would have more deformation along with more fliers. I have a 24 inch 835 Mossberg barrel that fits my 590a1. From the factory it's over bored in order to give better patterns. This barrel with a Trulock improved cylinder choke tube gives excellent patterns with regular buckshot. Because the bore is slightly larger in diameter, less deformation occurs. Oddly this combination does not exceed performance seen using the cylinder bore 18 inch barrel and Fed Flight Control buckshot. I think that if I put a cyl choke tube in the overbored barrel, then it might exceed the 590a1's original barrel when using the Flite Control ammo.

User Tag List