Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .380 Hydra Shok Deep available

.380 Hydra Shok Deep available

A new production run has landed -- check Ammoseek for several sellers, with more likely to follow. I've already added to my stash of what is quite arguably the best .380 load ever made.

I just ordered two boxes form Midway. They have a two box limit.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Site Supporter
    I just ordered 100 rds from OutdoorLimited. Better per-round price shipped ($1.53 ea).

Has anyone seen any more independent calibrated ballistic gel testing on it out of a 3"ish barrel?

I did find this (but the link to the test/article is broken these days) - https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....Ballistics-Gel
    Last edited by cosermann; 01-11-2024 at 11:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cosermann View Post
    Has anyone seen any more independent calibrated ballistic gel testing on it out of a 3"ish barrel?
    https://youtu.be/eU4tHk72EdQ?si=ng-HBSkJHmX64PkJ

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mac View Post
    quite arguably the best .380 load ever made.
    "The skinniest kid at fat camp"

Quote Originally Posted by cosermann View Post

I did find this (but the link to the test/article is broken these days) - https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....Ballistics-Gel
    The following is a summary of that post.

Test Gun: Ruger LCP
    Barrel length: 2.75 inches.
    Ammunition: Federal .380 ACP 99gr Hydra-Shok Deep.
    Test media: 10% Vyse Ballistics Gel.
    Distance: 10 feet.
    Chronograph: Caldwell Ballistic Precision Chronograph G2.
    Five shot velocity average: 873fps
    BB Calibration: 3.5 inches.

Starting off with the first round in bare gel, it penetrated to 14.5 inches. It expanded to .51 inches and had a recovered weight of 99.8 grains. No velocity was recorded. The second round's velocity was 783fps, and it penetrated to 14.75 inches. It also expanded to .51 inches and had a recovered weight of 99.8 grains.

Now the two rounds through the heavy clothing. Round one had a velocity of 869fps and penetrated to 15 inches. Its recovered expansion was uneven at .52 by .49 inches. The recovered weight was 99.8 grains. The second round had a velocity of 886fps and penetrated to 16.25 inches. Its recovered expansion was .49 inches, and it had a recovered weight of 99.7 grains.

Finally, I decided to try it in four layers of denim. I don't normally test in denim but instead, prefer to use the FBI heavy clothing. The four-layer os denim is a standard created by the IWBA as an alternative and harder test than heavy clothing. People seem to mix up the two different testing methods.

Out of fairness to Federal, it should be pointed out that Federal does not claim this bullet will perform to the FBI penetration and expansion standards in a denim test.

Shooting the first round in the denim-covered gel, the bullet had a velocity of 822fps and penetrated to 17 inches. There was no expansion and the recovered weight was 99.5 grains. The second round's velocity was 859fps, and it penetrated to 14 inches with an expansion of .53 by .47 inches.

We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

It was the testing that 5pins did (and another I can't find at the moment) that validated Federal's claims for me, and led me to start buying this stuff whenever it pops up on the market.

Edit to add: I got higher velocities from an LCP than 5pins did in his test: 903 average, with 926 average from a G42. Here is Federal's press release, in which they mention it performed consistently in barrel lengths from 2.75 to 3.5:

https://media.vistaoutdoor.com/press...lained_FNL.pdf
    Last edited by Joe Mac; 01-11-2024 at 06:55 PM.

Got a "free shipping on qualifying orders over $99" from Midway today, and thought of this thread ( "Sure, I can get to $99 even with a two box limit!" ). Nope: added it to the cart, and the .380 specifically came up as ineligible for it (other calibers did not).

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gater View Post
    Got a "free shipping on qualifying orders over $99" from Midway today, and thought of this thread ( "Sure, I can get to $99 even with a two box limit!" ). Nope: added it to the cart, and the .380 specifically came up as ineligible for it (other calibers did not).
    Palmetto State Armory has it cheaper with no noted limit. I just bought 4 boxes.

Once shipping is figured in I found it was maybe a couple of bucks more than some of the other outfits I don't have an account with...so I just went with them.

I've been carrying 90 grain Sig Elite in my LCP. Eager for the upgrade.
    3/15/2016

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Don't own a .380, but if I did this is what I would load it with.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List