Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Federal FC #1 Available?

Federal is just trying to get ahead of future ammunition control laws.

First, by shutting down 50-round boxes of HST to non-LE and now parceling out #1 Flite Control in just enough volume to make everyone think they have a chance, but don’t.

I know this post is meant to be tongue-in-cheek and I’ve been a big fan of Federal and especially HST for years now. But this is kind of chapping my ass. I already switched to Hornady for buckshot, if I can actually get Winchester Ranger pistol ammo and slugs reliably, I may quit ATK totally.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post

First, by shutting down 50-round boxes of HST to non-LE and now parceling out #1 Flite Control in just enough volume to make everyone think they have a chance, but don’t.

I know this post is meant to be tongue-in-cheek and I’ve been a big fan of Federal and especially HST for years now. But this is kind of chapping my ass. I already switched to Hornady for buckshot, if I can actually get Winchester Ranger pistol ammo and slugs reliably, I may quit ATK totally.
    Federal is trying to make money by limiting who gets ammo at the "discounted" LE price. When googling some ammo I saw that Bud's has a "qualified professional" program. I'm too lazy to comply so I'll just buy ammo from other manufacturers. I have less than a case total of FC 00 and 4 buck, but that's probably sufficient for the rest of my given that I rarely ever shoot it. If I can't get more, I'll test another brand through various choke tubes til I get the pattern I want.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post

Same here. But in all honesty all the major manufacturers have been doing this for years. Ever since they all decided to package their same old stuff in new pretty retail packaging at 20 or 25 count boxes and charge the same for them as they had always charged for the 50 counts. That's how long its been going on. It's just recently that they (FED and Speer) decided to crack down on online sales and implement a tracking system on them. They all vary on how strict they are, or at least varied in the past.

Several years back in one of the big ammo shortages I found a stockpile of 9mm +P Critical Duty at a LGS. It was the only 9mm I had seen on a shelf anywhere in a long time. Sign said 2 box limit. Price was about $38 per. Said I'd take 2 boxes. He said "great, let me see your CLEET card". Told him I didn't have one and he said he couldn't sell it. Went on to explain that if Hornady caught them selling to non-LEO or non-military they would never get any more to sell. They were occasionally doing "spot" buys at the time unless he was just blowing smoke.

So I called my buddy who is a state trooper and asked if he would. He stopped by on his way home from work, in his full uniform. He was a member of the range there, a regular, and they all knew him. His wife was a former employee there too. They were there a couple times a week usually. They made him show his CLEET card. Not bullshitting at all...

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    They made him show his CLEET card. Not bullshitting at all...
    Was the dealer obliged to write down some sort of number for a logbook documenting the sales of said ammo, by any chance? If so, I could see them wanting to see a badge number or whatever sort of identifier could be on that CLEET card, whatever it is.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Was the dealer obliged to write down some sort of number for a logbook documenting the sales of said ammo, by any chance? If so, I could see them wanting to see a badge number or whatever sort of identifier could be on that CLEET card, whatever it is.
    In Oklahoma CLEET is the Council on Law Enforcement Education and Training which is a state agency. I'm pretty sure, but not certain, that every sworn officer in the state has an ID from CLEET. It kind of goes with the badge is my understanding.

From seven yards with my 1301

From 15 yards with the 1301

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Bringing this thread back to life!

SGAmmo has a couple different makes of cheapo #1 buck available, S&B and Rio IIRC. I ordered a box of the S&B to see how it patterns.

Quote Originally Posted by perlslacker View Post
    Bringing this thread back to life!

SGAmmo has a couple different makes of cheapo #1 buck available, S&B and Rio IIRC. I ordered a box of the S&B to see how it patterns.
    I've shot the Rio out of a Cyl bore and was not impressed at all, however that changed when I shot it out of a 14" Vang Comp'd barrel and more impressive yet when using a Mod choke from the 21" Turkey barrel. I guess every shotgun is truly a law unto itself...

I haven't read the entire thread, but what about the Remington Express 12-gauge 2¾'' #1 Buckshot (16 .30-caliber pellets each weighing 40-grains at 1,250 fps) as an option to the Federal #1 Buck shell being discussed here? My retiring agency has issued the Remington load since long before I hired on there and they have had exceptional results with it in the field.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    I haven't read the entire thread, but what about the Remington Express 12-gauge 2¾'' #1 Buckshot (16 .30-caliber pellets each weighing 40-grains at 1,250 fps) as an option to the Federal #1 Buck shell being discussed here? My retiring agency has issued the Remington load since long before I hired on there and they have had exceptional results with it in the field.
    I'm probably speaking out of turn here, but from my experience it's not the fact that it's #1 buck but the FliteControl wad that is the significant part of the equation here. Several folks make #1 Buck, only Federal makes the FC wad...

User Tag List