Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: Federal FC #1 Available?

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    It's been pretty well hashed over that there were issues in a lot of guns with a stray pellet or two from the 1B, and it seems Federal was not able to sort that out. So I'm not expecting it to be produced again. Eight pellet works and doesn't have the stray pellet issue.
    I've got a small stash of #1 that I'm keeping just for HD because it's just so devastating but I was unaware of the previous discussions regarding strays.
    That being said, I did notice the possibility when I patterned my 1301T...

Even at 10 yds you can see one pellet from each shell is starting to go its own way.
    At 25 yds I got one very low flyer from the first shot but the second shot stayed relatively tight. So yeah, some inconsistency is definitely a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    #1 FC is by far the best shot load available for LE and self-defense.
    I was not aware that Federal had eventually offered the #1 Buck in a FC load. I could not find such a load on Federal's LE site when I looked today, it looks like it was discontinued in 2018.. I still have about 450 rounds of Winchester's RA1200, and prefer that load's pattern size over Federal's LE132 00 load for home defense use.
    NOTE: Keep in mind that SALES are what drives manufacturing, regardless of what is a better/lesser load. Also, keep in mind that in LE use, 00 Buck is going to be better at penetration than 1 Buck, all else being equal... so barrier penetration would not be as good with 1 Buck, and that matters.
    Last edited by Glock17JHP; 10-06-2021 at 09:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    It's been pretty well hashed over that there were issues in a lot of guns with a stray pellet or two from the 1B, and it seems Federal was not able to sort that out. So I'm not expecting it to be produced again. Eight pellet works and doesn't have the stray pellet issue.
    I know exactly how to make it work and it would likely work better than FC. But alas, it would be a non-starter for Federal because it wouldn't work well in cylinder bores, it would be basically a slug in them. It would actually take a very tight choke constriction which isn't standard or common in LE, it would be more costly to buy, and factoring the reason @Dan Lehr stated with police shotguns largely on the wane? Well, it would go over exactly like a lead zeppelin on the marketing/sales front.

On the plus side Remington and Winchester both have good buffered #1 buck loads. They can be found pretty easily compared to anything FC right now and unbuffered S&B buck is seemingly everywhere. I've bought Win and Rem several times in the last 6 years at quite reasonable pricing when FC was hard to find. It works for me as it's strictly a close range load (for me) but FC is markedly better at distance.

Only in-stock I could find at this time

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    I know exactly how to make it work and it would likely work better than FC. But alas, it would be a non-starter for Federal because it wouldn't work well in cylinder bores, it would be basically a slug in them. It would actually take a very tight choke constriction which isn't standard or common in LE, it would be more costly to buy, and factoring the reason @Dan Lehr stated with police shotguns largely on the wane? Well, it would go over exactly like a lead zeppelin on the marketing/sales front.

On the plus side Remington and Winchester both have good buffered #1 buck loads. They can be found pretty easily compared to anything FC right now and unbuffered S&B buck is seemingly everywhere. I've bought Win and Rem several times in the last 6 years at quite reasonable pricing when FC was hard to find. It works for me as it's strictly a close range load (for me) but FC is markedly better at distance.

Only in-stock I could find at this time
    Just be careful to pay attention to velocities when choosing buckshot for home defense/self defense... LE loads are lower velocity than hunting loads.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock17JHP View Post
    Just be careful to pay attention to velocities when choosing buckshot for home defense/self defense... LE loads are lower velocity than hunting loads.
    True, but you can find lower-velocity hunting loads.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    True, but you can find lower-velocity hunting loads.
    Good to know ! ! ! Most buckshot loads I see that are for hunting are closer to 1325 fps. Thank you for that info.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Thanks, I got a case as well.

This will be interesting to test in my many scatterguns. I'll hopefully have the Form 1's back on two more SBS's in about a month. I'll be interested in how in compares across the Remington 870, Mossberg 590A1 and Browning Auto-5 whippit. All of them will have 14" barrels and full chokes.

Then compare it with the 8-pellet and 9-pellet Flite Control loads.
    How did they work out? I am thinking of building up a Remington 11 whippit. I stopped by Cotton Branch Custom and looked at guns and options and I don't see how I can resist it...

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    This.

I've seen exactly one gun that shot 9 pellet better than 8 and it wasn't spectacular with either.

In the 1301 performance of 8 pellet fight control ranges from good to amazing:

Attachment 46664

This client in a JDC class last year had purchased an LTT 1301 and was using 8 pellet Federal Flight Control with it. We shot at 10, 15, and 25 yards. What you see in that target is the combination of all those patterns. At 25 yards his pattern was still so tight that pellets didn't leave the 9 ring of a B8 target.
    I've now seen 3 barrels that shoot low-recoil 9-pellet tighter than they do the 8-pellet stuff. Interestingly enough, all of them were Mossbergs, 2x 500s and a 590. Hell, my VEPR shoots the Hornady stuff tighter than 9-pellet FC, which is an anomaly if ever there was one.

But my 870s, both Vanged and non-Vanged, seem to prefer the 8-pellet stuff. Interestingly enough, while taking Tom Givens' shotgun instructor class last month, I was unable to source any 8-pellet and didn't want to dip into my reserves, so I shot a mix of high-test and decaf 9-pellet FC buck. The low-recoil stuff tended to throw that 9th-pellet flyer ever other shot or so, not terribly far, but enough that it was noticeable compared to past performance of that barrel with 8-pellet. The high-test stuff, though... I don't think I'd want to use it out of M'Bogo past about 18 yards or so. At 15 during the practice runs, I was routinely dropping those flyers close to the edge of the Q-target bottle. Dad actually dropped a point on the qual because he grabbed a box of HV by mistake and had a flyer leave the bottle.

Also I've seen similar performance out of 1301s, Tim. Landfair had one at a class a few years back that was almost as good as that one with the 8-pellet stuff. Really outstanding patterning.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

Update from Federal Rep on #1 Buck FC

At 15:54 in the below video, Dan from Federal talks about why a few of their most popular (with people like us) products have been hard to find, including 12 gauge 8 pellet 00 FC as well as #1 FC. Apparently they were unable to consistently reproduce the performance they originally obtained with their first run of #1 buck, spreadwise. The good news is that they haven't forgotten about it and we might see it again in the future.

https://youtu.be/qYra4eIxU4I?si=3XRGEanEOBzk-hYI
    "I need your help. I can't tell you what it is, you can never ask me about it later, and we're gonna hurt some people."

User Tag List