Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: M1 Garand first time

The Garand is a softie...

People normally complain about the weigth, not the recoil.

The Garand is noticeably softer shooting then the 1903s, neither are bad in field positions. 1903 sporters with recoil pads and well designed stocks are very nice shooters.

Shooting off a bench, most people hunch over into the gun with the gun way lower than their shoulder when sitting straight up. Its much nicer shooting from a bench of you get the gun on level with your shoulder so you arent leaning into it.

The Garand has very good sights, and adjust to fairly long range. The 1903s have long range sights but arent as nice as the Garand sights. 03-A3s have better sights than the older 1903s, but still behind the Garand and only go to 800 yards. All are fun to shoot at longer ranges where you can see your hits.

Used to be tons of the Korean ammo coming in, I think it dried up. The Greek was pretty good also.

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    The Garand is a softie...

People normally complain about the weigth, not the recoil.
    It was definitely heavy.

That is why I found new respect for the guys that hauled it around.

My buddy that brought it was trying to set it up like the one his Grandfather carried in Europe.

He also said that his Grandfather told him that he had "hauled one all around Europe and never wanted to hold that heavy bitch again" when given the opportunity to get one years ago.
    Last edited by Crow Hunter; 10-03-2018 at 02:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    The Garand is noticeably softer shooting then the 1903s, neither are bad in field positions. 1903 sporters with recoil pads and well designed stocks are very nice shooters.

Shooting off a bench, most people hunch over into the gun with the gun way lower than their shoulder when sitting straight up. Its much nicer shooting from a bench of you get the gun on level with your shoulder so you arent leaning into it.

The Garand has very good sights, and adjust to fairly long range. The 1903s have long range sights but arent as nice as the Garand sights. 03-A3s have better sights than the older 1903s, but still behind the Garand and only go to 800 yards. All are fun to shoot at longer ranges where you can see your hits.

Used to be tons of the Korean ammo coming in, I think it dried up. The Greek was pretty good also.

I was shooting off an improvised "bench" which was a front bag sitting on top of a rolling garbage can and I am nearly 5'11'' so it was kind of uncomfortable to start with.

I was definitely leaning over it. That garbage can and front bag isn't tall enough for that but we were just in the field below my brothers house and it was too wet/muddy to go prone.

When I shot it free hand it wasn't painful, it was just noticeable. The blast more so than the recoil. Of course, as I get older I don't like to get kicked like I used to.

I'm a fan of mine, I'm a twig and the weight never bothered me, but the soft recoil is greatly appreciated.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Dad was an USAF Chaplain's assistant in Libya during the Cuban Missile Crisis, and everybody got issued M-1's at that time, including the Chaplain himself.
    Somehow, a bet developed regarding the Chaplain could still strip a Garand blindfolded. He actually could, but nobody could remember how to put the thing back together again.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Whether or not one considers the Garand a soft shooter depends upon one's context. If you come from the AR15/Mini14 world then I can understand the feeling that it's a bruiser.

I used to shoot the M1 in competition and while it certainly has more recoil than a .223/5.56, it's noticeably softer than a bolt action like the 1903 on the left. The M1 could be fatiguing over a days shooting due to it's weight, but the recoil isn't much of a factor. A 1903 in original configuration can be a thumper over the course of an afternoon. The original "S" stock, like the one pictured here, is a bit shorter than most would consider optimal and the butt has more drop than a modern rifle. What this really amounts to is a 20th century bolt action mounted to a 19th century stock better suited to blackpowder rounds. This results in more felt recoil than a more ergonomic design, like the later "C" stock used on the '03, which featured a pistol grip incorporated into a longer stock, essentially the design used on the M1. For me, an afternoon at the range with the '03 usually consists of 25-30 rounds, before the fun factor starts to go. Due to arthritis in my right shoulder this one has become an occasional to rare shooter.

Shoot the 1903 and the M1 side by side and it becomes obvious what a quantum leap forward the latter was.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 10-03-2018 at 05:19 PM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Forget the garand, that FAL is the sex...

On topic, I also found the garand to be a soft shooter. More of a push vs a thump, kind of like a .45 vs a .40... I actually really liked it the one time I shot one.

Off topic again, one rifle I was suprised to find was not at all fun to shoot was the G3. I used to jones for one of those bad, and then I actually shot one and any jonesing was nipped in the ass right quick... each shot feels like you're getting punched in the cheekbone and ergonomically, I think it's somehow worse then then AK. It's an accurate, reliable rifle, but definitely not for me.

Deer hunting in VT, 5 days sleeping in the mud and snow
    Name:  KIMG0005.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  52.3 KB
    15 rounds, 100 yards, unsupporte
    Name:  Resized_20170125_093048.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  65.4 KB
    Name:  Resized_20170125_093020.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  57.3 KB
    Name:  Resized_20170125_093809.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  29.0 KB

Unfortunately the receiver cracked and broke my heart. I just don't have the money to replace it.
    Name:  15263410549802083226913-544028.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  28.5 KB

M1s really are a special rifle. I would be perfectly happy if it was my only center-fire rifle.
    Last edited by 03RN; 10-04-2018 at 08:41 AM.

User Tag List