Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: M1 Garand first time

M1 Garand first time

Even though I have been into guns for decades and handled dozens of them, I had never, up until yesterday, actually fired an M1 Garand.

A buddy of mine brought over his 1944 Springfield Armory shooter (not collectors grade). He really sucks at sighting things in so he wanted me to sight it in for him. It was a very nice shooting rifle, but geeze it was heavy. And it kind of hurt to shoot from the bench too. After sighting it in, I shot the remaining rounds on my hind legs which made it quite a bit more comfortable. I do have a nice M1 bruise.

Which brings up a question. Where is a good place to get M1 Garand spec rounds? He said he is having trouble finding rounds. Any leads?

Also, I have even more respect now for those guys that hauled around that M1 in combat. I know why they had such confidence in the "stopping power" of the M1. It definitely fires with authority. It feels like you are firing the thunderbolts of Zeus or something. I used to own a 30-06 Abolt for years that never felt quite like that. I also owned a M1A for many years but I didn't really enjoy shooting it as much as I did that Garand (and I don't remember it kicking quite as hard . It just didn't have that aura I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post
    Even though I have been into guns for decades and handled dozens of them, I had never, up until yesterday, actually fired an M1 Garand.

A buddy of mine brought over his 1944 Springfield Armory shooter (not collectors grade). He really sucks at sighting things in so he wanted me to sight it in for him. It was a very nice shooting rifle, but geeze it was heavy. And it kind of hurt to shoot from the bench too. After sighting it in, I shot the remaining rounds on my hind legs which made it quite a bit more comfortable. I do have a nice M1 bruise.

Which brings up a question. Where is a good place to get M1 Garand spec rounds? He said he is having trouble finding rounds. Any leads?

Also, I have even more respect now for those guys that hauled around that M1 in combat. I know why they had such confidence in the "stopping power" of the M1. It definitely fires with authority. It feels like you are firing the thunderbolts of Zeus or something. I used to own a 30-06 Abolt for years that never felt quite like that. I also owned a M1A for many years but I didn't really enjoy shooting it as much as I did that Garand (and I don't remember it kicking quite as hard . It just didn't have that aura I guess.

I've always thought the M1 was a soft shooter...for perspective, try a 1903 Springfield if you get the chance.

For ammo, first place to look is the CMP

Also, here is some made by Federal:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/95...l-metal-jacket

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    I've always thought the M1 was a soft shooter...for perspective, try a 1903 Springfield if you get the chance.

For ammo, first place to look is the CMP

Also, here is some made by Federal:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/95...l-metal-jacket
    I had a Browning Abolt II in .30-06 that I used as a deer rifle for years. I think it weighed right at 7.5 lbs with the lightweight scope and rings that I had on it. It wasn't what I would consider pleasant to shoot from the bench. I would guess the 1903 would probably be at least as bad, probably worse since it didn't have a nice recoil pad on it like my Abolt.

It doesn't help that I am 5'11" and only weigh 137 lbs. I don't have the inertia I used to have.

If he wants to shoot modern ammo I would suggest an adjustable gas plug. Schuster makes one.
    "Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein

The Federal ammo works fine. I have one of the adjustable gas blocks and it works...OK I guess but the Federal is a buy-it-and-shoot-it easy solution.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Site Supporter
    I never understood the benefit of the M1 Carbine until I shot it side by side with a Garand. The first time I fired an M1 Garand I was around 10 or 11 and I got through 5 clips before it finally bit my thumb. After I got it to stop bleeding I went right back to shooting, with a big stupid grin on my face. Made very short and easy work of a 10" square gong at ~200M from a standing position, and rang that gong with authority.

It's easy to fall in love with a Garand, that's for sure. which is why it's on my short list of 'I need one just because 'Merica' second only to a 1911 at this point. Sadly my 'adult responsibilities' and 'existing guns that need ammo' plus the 'this is a sensible/useful gun to own' priorities keep beating that 'merica' list to my available funding.

Edit - the Greek Surplus ammo runs beautifully in M1's, if you can find any more of it.
    Last edited by JRB; 10-01-2018 at 02:34 PM.

When I went through basic training at Ft. Leonard Wood in 1960 (with the M1) our drill sergeant would ask if anyone had never fired a rifle before. For those that said yes he told them to hold the butt about a half inch from their shoulder so the recoil wouldn't be so hard. Got a few laughs out of that one.

I need to stop messing around and find me a decent Garand. I would just get an adjustable gas plug and run modern ammo. I have an M1 carbine that was a lend/lease to Israel, cool piece of history.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

"Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    I've always thought the M1 was a soft shooter.
    I've only shot one once, and only 2 or 3 rounds, but that was my impression. I remember thinking that I'd happily shoot it all day long.

User Tag List