Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: M1 Garand first time

Quote Originally Posted by VT1032 View Post
    Off topic again, one rifle I was suprised to find was not at all fun to shoot was the G3. I used to jones for one of those bad, and then I actually shot one and any jonesing was nipped in the ass right quick... each shot feels like you're getting punched in the cheekbone and ergonomically, I think it's somehow worse then then AK. It's an accurate, reliable rifle, but definitely not for me.
    The only G3s I've fired are real HK .mil ones. While a bit harder kicking than a M1/M14/FAL, for me they are not uncomfortable at all. Maybe I was used to steel butt mausers and anything else is just tame

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    The only G3s I've fired are real HK .mil ones. While a bit harder kicking than a M1/M14/FAL, for me they are not uncomfortable at all. Maybe I was used to steel butt mausers and anything else is just tame
    It wasn't so much the straight back recoil, it was more the way your cheek weld interacted with the stock. Teeth rattling is the the adjective I would use to describe it. The actual recoil wasn't horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by VT1032 View Post
    It wasn't so much the straight back recoil, it was more the way your cheek weld interacted with the stock. Teeth rattling is the the adjective I would use to describe it. The actual recoil wasn't horrible.
    My experience was the same, with a pre-ban HK91. The ergos seemed completely wrong for me and the experience was unpleasant.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

My first gun. Neuman's Gun Shop on Grand River. Paid $20.00 a week and picked it up on my 18th birthday.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    My first gun. Neuman's Gun Shop on Grand River. Paid $20.00 a week and picked it up on my 18th birthday.
    Oh, yeah: $200.00.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

The M1 Garand is one of my loves. I grew up watching all types of movies and TV shows where it was routinely seen. The first time I got to hold one was in 1984 when a friend got one from the CMP. After that, I was seriously hooked. Over the years, I've acquired two at gun shows and one from the CMP, all in .30-06.

When shooting from a bench, it's all about the pressure curve of the ammo. I found this out the hard way....the very hard way. One afternoon, after I had acquired that first example, I went to the range to sight it in. Not really knowing anything other than it was .30-06, I took both 150gr. and 180gr. SP ammo from Remington with me. I loaded up the first clip with the 150gr., inserted it and chambered a round, then touched it off. It was a really good thump but nothing I couldn't handle. However, the group really sucked. So, I loaded up the 180gr. rounds. When I touched it off, I thought a huge knife had popped out of the cleaning rod compartment and stabbed me in the shoulder. It didn't take but a couple more rounds and I was through for the day.

Since then, I've learned a lot more about that beautiful sweetie. First, the ammo must be loaded with a medium burning powder. IMR-4895 and IMR-4064 are two of the standards, if you reload. I found out I could have seriously damaged my rifle or even badly injured myself by using the ammo I did in that first one. The reason being that the op rod can be bent, or even broken, by the use of the wrong powder.

Second, to help tame what recoil there is, an adjustable or ported gas valve/screw are great investments. I've settled on the ported version from Garand Gear. The web site shows pressure testing done with various brands and weights of factory ammo. You can find the information on the left side of the home page. I'm including the link below. Believe me when I say the difference is amazing in dropping the felt recoil.

http://www.garandgear.com/m1-garand-ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    This is what I use in my Garand. Happy with it so far — shot a few CMP competitions (200 yards) at our local club and even an NRA midrange prone match (600 yards) and no complaints.

As soft as the recoil is from an M1, the M1D feels noticeably softer due to the fact that it weighs a ton.

I have collected and used a lot of milsurps over the years. The M1 has always been my favorite.

The Garand is the rifle heroes carried to war to fight for Truth, Justice and the American Way. The enemies of our Great Nation trembled at the mere mention of the M1 Garand. It was so powerful that John Wayne carried one. It was so mighty, my father carried one during his stint in the Marine Corps.

Dad was in his den cleaning his DCM Garand when he opened up the butt plate and pointed to the two holes where the cleaning gear was stored. HE said "son, do you know what these are called?" I shook my head.

Dad settled back in his chair and said "Let me tell you a little story.

One day, long ago in a distant land known as Perris Island, our DI grabbed up one of our Garands, opened the buttplate and pointed to the holes in the stock.

"Do any of you ladies know what these holes are called?" No one knew. We racked our memory. We dug out the manual and pored over every page. No one could find the answer.

"That's alright, girls," the DI purred softly. "I'll tell you. But first, a little exercise. Grab your helmet liners and your rifles and- FALL OUT!!"

We grabbed our gear and scrambled out of the barracks and formed up outside. The DI had us hold our rifles with the buttplate resting on our helmets and ordered us to run in place. He got us to run faster and get our knees higher and higher as that damned Garand with its steel buttplate pounded our heads. As we being beat to death by our own rifles, the DI grinned and once again pointed to the two holes in the buttstock and in great detail, told us what they were called. I'll never forget it.

Dad stopped, lost in memory and I waited for him to go on.

"So, what are they called?" I asked impatiently. "You do remember, don't you?"

Dad turned to me. "Of course. They're butt wells, son. After having it pounded into my head, I'll never forget they're called butt wells."
    Last edited by MistWolf; 10-11-2018 at 09:49 PM.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

User Tag List