Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger SR9 issues I must resolve

I'm betting your knuckle pain is caused by the Ruger's unfortunate safety design and placement. If you're EDCing a 2.0 compact, do you really need a dedicated HD gun that has a different manual of arms, point of aim, and "feel?"

If you feel like you HAVE TO have a dedicated "house gun," I'd suggest a 2.0 FS, or another 2.0 compact.

If you slide your hand down on the grip (away from the highest grip you can obtain), you're going to lose control over the pistol in recoil, not gain anything.

I'll echo the comments of many other members, and suggest this is a hardware interface issue, best corrected by finding new hardware.

The preponderance of opinions expressed in these posts recommend that I dispose of the SR9. I thank all who have commented.

In the past few years I have disposed of a large collection of handguns that began in 1948. Until I purchased the SR9 this past July, I had remaining only the two M&P pistols for EDC and the G27 car gun. The G27 has now been gifted to a friend.

After my next range session with the SR9, I will make my decision to retain or dispose of it.

Regardless, I do not intend to purchase any more handguns in the future because my ability to safely and
    properly handle them is rapidly diminishing. Owning and shooting firearms has been a great pleasure. But, all good things come to an end; and that end is in sight.

Quote Originally Posted by aimtrue View Post
    The preponderance of opinions expressed in these posts recommend that I dispose of the SR9. I thank all who have commented.

In the past few years I have disposed of a large collection of handguns that began in 1948. Until I purchased the SR9 this past July, I had remaining only the two M&P pistols for EDC and the G27 car gun. The G27 has now been gifted to a friend.

After my next range session with the SR9, I will make my decision to retain or dispose of it.

Regardless, I do not intend to purchase any more handguns in the future because my ability to safely and
    properly handle them is rapidly diminishing. Owning and shooting firearms has been a great pleasure. But, all good things come to an end; and that end is in sight.
    Ah, never say never! If the recoil of centerfires is getting to be too much, you just need to discover the wonderful world of the .22 LR. There are a large number of great .22s that should keep you plinking for a good long time. Best of luck!

I believe this thread has run its course.

One final comment from me.

Approaching ninety, things that play havoc with me I think would not affect younger men.

Bruising comes with my age not to those of younger years.

I have no doubt that the SR9 can be handled and shot with great results. It simply came to me late in life.

Site Supporter
    Thank you for your replies.

I agree that one should rid himself of a weapon that is too difficult to properly handle or one that produces bruises. Before I do so with my new SR9, I will adapt my handhold to grasp the grip lower and if that does not work, I will change the backstrap.

If these fail, I will simply dispose of the SR9.

Regarding carry guns, the SR9 is not my carry gun. It is my house pistol.

I have two 9mm M&P EDC pistols. Living in Arizona, the Shield is pocket carried in cargo shorts from May to October. The M2.0 Compact is carried on my hip from October to May.

The G27 has been my car gun since that model first came onto the market.
    Why not an M&P 2.0 5" for your house gun? That is a super nice, not expensive gun.

ETA: I can only hope that I am still actively shooting at 90. Good on you! If I am, I will, at a minimum, still be plinking with one of me .22 pistols. Which is where I started anyway.
    Last edited by Duelist; 10-02-2018 at 02:16 PM.

I would only make the final comment of, I wouldn't "dispose" of it if you enjoyed shooting it, rather retire it from the role you thought it would be good for.

I have a S&W 442 that's an absolute evil thing to shoot (especially in large round counts per session), but it's role isn't that of a range gun, but of deep concealment.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Aimtrue, if you've been collecting handguns since 1948, I for one would love to learn from your experiences and perspectives on the shooting culture over the decades. Maybe there are some lessons learned you could share in a general discussion thread?

zuplex, in response to your post, I have started a thread in the general firearms section of this forum.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ions-by-zuplex

I believe this thread has run its course.

One final comment from me.

Approaching ninety, things that play havoc with me I think would not affect younger men.

Bruising comes with my age not to those of younger years.

I have no doubt that the SR9 can be handled and shot with great results. It simply came to me late in life.
    90? Respect. Most of the time when guys are complaining about being old on forums they're in their 60's. Good for you to still be after it when most of your peers would be satisfied to be drinking Ensure and watching Matlock reruns. I hope you find a solution to your issues.

bruising

Are you using the "modern two hand method", where your support hand at a 45 degree angle down comes in and gives you a straight wrist? If not do it, if so, try and come to a "ready position", then as your extend the hands, "cam" the support hand down into the grip. Why, this should assist in tightening your shooting grip, and give you minimal "flip" on recoil. Also, ensure you have your elbows be shock absorber, these will give you better control, and that bruise on your knuckle (which is talking to you) should get better. Nothing new, just my opinion.

User Tag List