Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger SR9 issues I must resolve

Ruger SR9 issues I must resolve

The Ruger SR9 I purchased in July is not my EDC. It is my bedside protector. Although I have not yet gotten completely comfortable handling it, I do think it is a well-made quality pistol. So far I have shot 400 rounds. The pistol has been accurate and without mechanical failure. It is easy to field strip, clean, lube and reassemble.

Photo attached.

That said, I have two issues to resolve.

First, a surprise to me is its sharp recoil. Using the same 124gr ammunition, this full-size pistol’s recoil is much sharper than either of my smaller and less weighted sub-compact pistols (9mm Shield or .40 Glock 27).

So far, I have not yet developed the ability to quickly regain alignment on target after the SR9’s recoil. Undoubtedly, I will achieve this ability with repetitive practice.

The SR9 has good balance and sight radius length. These attributes enable me to be quite accurate up to 20 yards. My eyes do not allow for consistent accuracy at farther distances. This is the reason that I employ a carbine along with the SR9 for home protection.

7 yard double tap target atatched.

The second issue I have with the SR9 is my hand location on the grip. I hold the pistol high on the grip as I do with my other pistols. However, holding the SR9 this way, the top of my right thumb knuckle becomes bruised shooting a number of magazines. Next time at the range, I will lower my hand position on the grip. Hopefully, this will remedy the problem. If not, I will change the backstrap and see if this helps.

As previously stated, the SR9 is not my EDC. Thus, the two unresolved issues I have with it are not impediments to its use as my bedside protector.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by aimtrue; 10-01-2018 at 09:17 AM.

Life is too short and guns that run are too plentiful to suffer with one that bruises you.

I own all kinds of handguns, some hurt like hell to shoot very much, those are "range toys"

Betting my life on a handgun...you can damn well bet it is one I shoot very well and does not hurt me.

I say sell it off and move on.
    Guns are just machines and without you they can do no harm, nor any good

I’m with Pat, why keep a gun that you don’t like? Sell it, buy something you like. With that being said however, if you want to fix the SR9, the first thing to do is remove the magazine disconnect and the trigger will improve greatly. Second thing I’d do is remove that stupid ass safety.

From your post, it looks like you have at least three makes/models of defensive pistols. I'd thin that down (especially of one of the pistols is painful to shoot) and focus on the one that you shoot best.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    I agree with Okie John. Do you want a collection or a battery of using / carry guns. Pick a platform. I think that is one of the great attributes of Glock. A Glock 17, 19 and a 26 is very flexible system that you can match to wardrobe and purpose. Use common mags and holsters. A 17 for at home, a 19 to carry and a 26 for backup with an Alessi or Richie ankle holster with a 17 mag for a reload is very close to a do it all for urban carry

Thank you for your replies.

I agree that one should rid himself of a weapon that is too difficult to properly handle or one that produces bruises. Before I do so with my new SR9, I will adapt my handhold to grasp the grip lower and if that does not work, I will change the backstrap.

If these fail, I will simply dispose of the SR9.

Regarding carry guns, the SR9 is not my carry gun. It is my house pistol.

I have two 9mm M&P EDC pistols. Living in Arizona, the Shield is pocket carried in cargo shorts from May to October. The M2.0 Compact is carried on my hip from October to May.

The G27 has been my car gun since that model first came onto the market.

Site Supporter
    Gripping the gun lower is going to make recoil management even more difficult. Since you're carrying M&P's I suggest selling the Ruger and buying another 2.0C. That would put you on one platform for everything and give you a replacement carry gun if your current 2.0C goes down.
    Last edited by scjbash; 10-01-2018 at 11:25 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by aimtrue View Post
    Thank you for your replies.

I agree that one should rid himself of a weapon that is too difficult to properly handle or one that produces bruises. Before I do so with my new SR9, I will adapt my handhold to grasp the grip lower and if that does not work, I will change the backstrap.

If these fail, I will simply dispose of the SR9.

Regarding carry guns, the SR9 is not my carry gun. It is my house pistol.

I have two 9mm M&P EDC pistols. Living in Arizona, the Shield is pocket carried in cargo shorts from May to October. The M2.0 Compact is carried on my hip from October to May.

The G27 has been my car gun since that model first came onto the market.
    I agree gripping the Ruger lower is going to make the gun harder to shoot.

How are you gripping the gun. Can you have someone take a photo of your grip ? It could be a grip issue or it could just be you are not compatible,e with the SR-9. There are too many good options on the market today to fight a gun that beats you up.

In my experience there are two classes of guns:

Guns as fighting tools and guns as a hobby / shooting for fun. They are not mutually exclusive but it is important to distinguish one from the other.

You have a S&W Shield and M&P Compact 2.0 which seem to work for you. So why not stick with the S&W “system” and get an M&P as a house gun as well ? A system of similar guns you are familiar with has advantages. Your training and familiarity carry over and can act as a spare if one of the guns is stolen, broken, take into evidence after a defensive gun use etc.

Two ways you could go. Most logical would be a second, identical M&P 2.0 Compact. Alternatively, if cost is an issue PD trade in M&P’s in 9mm and .40 cane be found online for < $300.

Homesty the Ruger SR-9 has issues and even in the budget gun category there are better choices like the S&W SD-9.

Another option, given your G27 would be to replace the Ruger with PD trade in Glock 22, gen 4.

One question - if you EDC a handgun, why also have a car gun ?
    Last edited by HCM; 10-02-2018 at 12:53 AM.

How to put this...

Having to remember which software language you need to speak to your handgun when it's 0 dark 30 and you're woken from a sound sleep by a bump in the night, doesn't seem like a properly stacked deck for a successful outcome. I would think the weapon you're most familiar with and can run properly with as little active thought as possible (in terms of the mechanics of shooting) so that as much brain function can be tasked to decision making when under a compromised mental state, seems to me to be the more intelligent choice.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Site Supporter
    A few years ago I bought a Beretta 84F. I think they are beautiful pistols, and I could shoot it about as well as anything else I owned for a mag or two. However, the frame mounted safety really beat up the base of my right thumb. While I still liked the gun, I hated shooting it, so I sold it. I have no regrets. Shooting well is difficult enough without being unnecessarily handicapped by a pistol that doesn't work for you.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

User Tag List