Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dive Watch

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Fully funded with 17 days to go. Is anyone here getting one of these watches?
    Thanks for posting this... I’m one of the “anonymous” backers in the first 50. Needed a new watch and this looks like a good one that is in line with my ethos and background.

Quote Originally Posted by LJP View Post
    Thanks for posting this... I’m one of the “anonymous” backers in the first 50. Needed a new watch and this looks like a good one that is in line with my ethos and background.
    You are welcome. I am glad it helped. Now I am really hoping this turns out well.
    I am thinking of a more casual strap for this watch thats better than the Perlon strap it ships with. I'm not really a NATO strap fan. I have found some sailcloth straps that might go well with the Pearl Diver. Brady Straps also has some straps in other textures and materials. Here is the link.

https://www.bradystraps.com/Black_Sailcloth.php
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

The hour hand ruins it for me.

Close, but not *quite* my style. I'm going to continue lusting after the Lüm-tec C7 I can't afford.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Close, but not *quite* my style. I'm going to continue lusting after the Lüm-tec C7 I can't afford.
    Same, except I'm obsessed with a Sinn U1 I can't afford.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

$200 or $230 for a titanium diver with a Miyota movement is a good deal. At the full $500 I'm not so sure.

Dive Watch

Contemplating this one:

Citizen Men's Eco-Drive Promaster Diver Watch with Date, BN0150-28E https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016R90VBK..._LkJ1BbX2R7PB9

I had an original Citizen Aqualand a...few years ago. It was warranted until the year 2000. I sold it, but it was bomb-proof.

My need is for something sporty between my shooting /expendable watch (a Timex Ironman) and my daily work watch (Rolex Sub) at the less than $250 price point.

I am also thinking about getting back into the water (PADI DM, 55958, inactive) next year. (No mixed gasses, recreational Limit only. Need a unidirectional bezel that turns with gloves, and no-shit luminous hands. Also need a genuine rubber band. )

Used to be Citizen built solid time pieces for recreational SCUBA you could count on. But I’ve not looked at the dive watch market for many years.

Would these new Citizen models be gtg? Or are there any other brands worth considering?

Tia.
    Last edited by RJ; 10-28-2018 at 05:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Contemplating this one:

Citizen Men's Eco-Drive Promaster Diver Watch with Date, BN0150-28E https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016R90VBK..._LkJ1BbX2R7PB9

I had an original Citizen Aqualand a...few years ago. It was warranted until the year 2000. I sold it, but it was bomb-proof.

My need is for something sporty between my shooting /expendable watch (a Timex Ironman) and my daily work watch (Rolex Sub) at the less than $250 price point.

I am also thinking about getting back into the water (PADI DM, 55958, inactive) next year. (No mixed gasses, recreational Limit only. Need a unidirectional bezel that turns with gloves, and no-shit luminous hands. Also need a genuine rubber band. )

Used to be Citizen built solid time pieces for recreational SCUBA you could count on. But I’ve not looked at the dive watch market for many years.

Would these new Citizen models be gtg? Or are there any other brands worth considering?

Tia.
    I thought SCUBA divers used wrist-mounted dive computers now, and dive watches weren't really useful anymore?

Admittedly, I've only read this on watch blogs; I don't know much about diving.

Dive Watch

Quote Originally Posted by perlslacker View Post
    I thought SCUBA divers used wrist-mounted dive computers now, and dive watches weren't really useful anymore?

Admittedly, I've only read this on watch blogs; I don't know much about diving.
    Undoubtedly.

My last heavy diving was in the 90’s, and I used a Sherwood Source Console-mounted dive computer. I’m sure they are much much better (lighter / lower power consumption / lower profile / more refined N2-tissue models / more legible displays) these days,

If I got busy again I’m sure I would get a computer, but very likely one in a console hanging off the HP hose as before. It’s just a personal preference of mine to have a basic analog dive time reference on each dive, as a backup to the computer. Hence a watch with a unidirectional bezel.
    Last edited by RJ; 10-28-2018 at 07:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Undoubtedly.

My last heavy diving was in the 90’s, and I used a Sherwood Source Console-mounted dive computer. I’m sure they are much much better (lighter / lower power consumption / lower profile / more refined N2-tissue models / more legible displays) these days,

If I got busy again I’m sure I would get a computer, but very likely one in a console hanging off the HP hose as before. It’s just a personal preference of mine to have a basic analog dive time reference on each dive, as a backup to the computer. Hence a watch with a unidirectional bezel.
    I have a soft spot in my heart for these:

https://www.amazon.com/Seiko-Divers-...s=p_89%3ASeiko

I bought one in the Camp Pendleton PX about 35 years ago. It still runs. I think 8 batteries and three watch straps replaced, but she still runs.

I have no idea hoe many times I have beat the crap out of it. Been through dive school, many deployments and I have no idea how many shooting classes. Most of the paint on the bezel is gone, and the lume is pretty much non-existent now.

But a sentimental fave I'll never sell.

User Tag List