Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How's the kick on an M&P 340 with target wadcutters?

How's the kick on an M&P 340 with target wadcutters?

M&P 340 shooting federal 148 gold medal match wadcutters (or comparable from other manufacturers). Pretty much negligible recoil even on that airweight?

I only have 342s, but they're 2 oz lighter, so it's comparable. I wouldn't say that recoil is negligible, not like out of a k frame, but it isn't bad. It doesn't hurt, unlike, e.g., FBI loads. I don't have a problem shooting 100 in a range day, although usually I use steel J frames for practice.

Quote Originally Posted by scott View Post
    I only have 342s, but they're 2 oz lighter, so it's comparable. I wouldn't say that recoil is negligible, not like out of a k frame, but it isn't bad. It doesn't hurt, unlike, e.g., FBI loads. I don't have a problem shooting 100 in a range day, although usually I use steel J frames for practice.
    Using a full-sized grip or boot grip on that 342?

I've heard 2oz can make a reasonable difference in recoil once you get in the 11 to 14oz range.
    Last edited by Speederlander; 09-29-2018 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Speederlander View Post
    Using a full-sized grip or boot grip on that 342?
    LG 105s.

ETA: and 2oz can definitely make a difference. Both in recoil and carry. At that point you're talking ~15% of the weight, depending on the model.
    Last edited by scott; 09-29-2018 at 02:59 PM.

Recoil is not severe with my M&P 340 and Black Hills 148 gr HBWC. Not a factor for shooting 50 or 100 rounds. I have smooth wooden grips on mine similar in shape to the factory boot grips.

Anything +p is another matter entirely, possible but not fun anymore after the first five or ten.
    Last edited by Salamander; 09-29-2018 at 10:30 PM.

Site Supporter
    I use something close to that for work in my M&P 340: 150 grain DEWC over 3.5 Bullseye, which is a full power, standard pressure load. With boot grips, I find it easy to shoot ~100 rounds in that gun with no discomfort. Your factory wadcutters will be even easier.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

I actually enjoy shooting my 442 with LG305s with factory wadcutters. I haven’t tried it with smaller grips.

I shot all 3 of mine this weekend at the HiTS revolver round up with 148 WC,158 FMJ and 150 Buffalo Bore WC. Both WC were very pleasant. With a 2 handed clamped down hold the
    158s kinda hurt but nuttin that could not be managed. CYA Kinda Retro
    The Thin Blue Line is TOO Thin........Thug Life Must End

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Pipes View Post
    I shot all 3 of mine this weekend at the HiTS revolver round up with 148 WC,158 FMJ and 150 Buffalo Bore WC. Both WC were very pleasant. With a 2 handed clamped down hold the
    158s kinda hurt but nuttin that could not be managed. CYA Kinda Retro
    Those were the 340's?

I would have expected the BB would have been a level up from the other factory 148s.

Quote Originally Posted by Speederlander View Post
    Those were the 340's?

I would have expected the BB would have been a level up from the other factory 148s.
    SORRY MAN , YEAH THOSE WERE 340PDs
    The Thin Blue Line is TOO Thin........Thug Life Must End

User Tag List