View Poll Results: Dry fire "kit", ammo or reloading components?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • MantisX/laser target combo (or other dry fire "kit")

2 9.09%
  • More ammo

12 54.55%
  • More reloading components

8 36.36%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: $200 to spend - dry fire "kit", ammo or reloading components?

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    Doing Dry Fire correctly WORKS. It takes a fair amount of effort to learn how to do it well. It took a long time before my dry fire was "honest" enough so that my live fire times and accuracy started looking like by dry fire times.
    The “correctly” part is the hard part for a lot of people, I think. It’s easy to lazily dry fire, it’s hard to be honest with yourself when a rep was shit. I still struggle with the temptation of “well that was good enough” even if I know I didn’t have my sights or my grip was fucky or whatever.

But when done correctly, it really works. Back from 2011-2014 I was a sponsored shooter and I rarely dry fired because I had free ammo, and I got pretty decent, knocking on the door of USPSA Master. Since 2014 I’ve hardly shot because I have been really busy. So this year I got back on a regular dry fire program, coupled with a once a week range session. Working fundamentals 3-4 days a week in dry fire with a 200-250 round focused range session each week all of a sudden has me shooting 4.55 FAST drills again, and I’m all “shit wait when did that happen.”

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    I was doing the reload, I had just forgotten to do a slide lock reload in live fire.
    Understood, thanks!

@nwhpfan thanks I didn't know about the tape on the breech trick. I was thinking the trigger had to be reset for each "shot" for the practice to be effective and I just proved to myself it didn't. I just realized I push left when pulling the trigger on the Shield and it only gets uglier from there... I hadn't considered taking the sound and fury out of the equation either.

@JohnO, thanks I'll watch that video in a bit.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I like using a tie wrap. Cut off part of the clasp so there is just an “L” shape at the end. Run the arm of the L down the barrel and use the bottom of the L between the barreel and the breech face. Simple, easy, reliable, doesn’t move around or get in the way of te sights.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by GuanoLoco; 10-01-2018 at 10:33 PM.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

I agree with others to spend your money on ammo/reloading components.

All of the dry fire aids/trainers are gimmicks in my experience. I would not use a SIRT over your actual pistol unless you are training force on force. As a dry fire tool, the SIRT is no bueno for the majority of dry fire. It will significantly diminish your ability to call your shots in live fire. I like the SIRT for diagnosing trigger issues on new or struggling shooters or for training shooting on the move.

If you're shooting a Glock, another trick to get the trigger to move is to use a cut off piece of a thick rubber band (the kind used around stocks of broccoli). Cut it into about a 3/4" length and insert it in the breach face. You can insert it flush with the top of the slide so it doesn't obscure your sights.
    Last edited by Gio; 10-03-2018 at 11:22 AM.

Site Supporter
    I voted for ammo. If you had your press set up and ready to go, I probably would have voted for components even though 9mm is now to the point of offering diminishing returns for the time expended to reload unless a well run progressive loader is employed.

User Tag List