View Poll Results: Dry fire "kit", ammo or reloading components?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • MantisX/laser target combo (or other dry fire "kit")

2 9.09%
  • More ammo

12 54.55%
  • More reloading components

8 36.36%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: $200 to spend - dry fire "kit", ammo or reloading components?

I hope you enjoy the class as much as I did.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    I hope you enjoy the class as much as I did.
    Thank you, I appreciate it.

I plan to. I have no illusions about pins or what not, but I plan to listen a lot and try and internalize the feedback. Plus I will have a set of objective metrics as a baseline going forward.

The class is coming at a good time for me, as I’m trying to refactor my Dry Practice regimen anyway. I’ve put my current thoughts into my Training Journal and plan to relook at it after the class.

After that I plan to reboot my program with an overarching goal of making C class in my next five Classifiers (plus have fun in matches of course.). Since it’s about to go into Winter here in FL, my match frequency will go up since it won’t be REALLY FREAKING HOT out from Oct-Apr.

Does the OP have a shot timer? I'd bet not. Get one of those, either a Pocket Pro 2 or Pact Club Timer III.

What gun is the OP using?

I’d suggest that you don’t know what modern dry fire is and can do.
    And you’d be correct which is why I’m asking questions. I don’t know what I don’t know but I do know that what I thought I knew is quite possibly wrong, outdated or both.

I’ve got Stoeger’s Dryfire Reloaded and Skills and Drills ready to be ordered this weekend. Maybe even the combo pack that includes the reduced size targets because why not. @Rich_Jenkins, which dry practice book are you considering?

No shot timer yet. Been waiting to see the new product that’s been teased in the Gear forum (IIRC).

Initially most practice will be done with a Shield and possibly an M&P9c.
    Last edited by awp_101; 09-28-2018 at 11:09 PM.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Good for you.

Nothing is free here. many small, regular sessions are better than excessively long sessions where you lose focus. And you can hurt yourself - tendinitis, cuts, blisters - be careful.

Think of it like learning to play a musical instrument. It takes time, repetition and persistence. What can happen though is the development of myelin, or so-called “muscle memory”. With practice, things like draws, indexed sight pictures, driving the sights to any spot you look at, transitions, reloads, movement etc. can become smooth, efficient, and fast.

By testing your newfound dry fire skils in live fire exercises, you can slowly learn to weed out the ways in which you may cheat your dry fire. Things like a weak grip, poor trigger pull, or sloppy sight picture suddenly become apparent when you test in live fire, and this learning can be fed back in to your dry fire.

NILIF - Nothing In Life Is Free. But improvement will be yours if you take the time to learn ... how to learn and then practice with purpose.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    And you’d be correct which is why I’m asking questions. I don’t know what I don’t know but I do know that what I thought I knew is quite possibly wrong, outdated or both.

I’ve got Stoeger’s Dryfire Reloaded and Skills and Drills ready to be ordered this weekend. Maybe even the combo pack that includes the reduced size targets because why not. @Rich_Jenkins, which dry practice book are you considering?

No shot timer yet. Been waiting to see the new product that’s been teased in the Gear forum (IIRC).

Initially most practice will be done with a Shield and possibly an M&P9c.
    Don’t wait on the shot timer.

Buy one now - upgrade later.

Buy via brownells for the warranty.

http://timer.dryfire.ninja/

Thats the timer I use for DF loaded on a laptop.

DF reloaded is great. Steve Andersons book is good but dont think you need both at this point. Seeklanders book is extremely comprehensive but overwhelmed me.

Bens books and DF kit plus the above timer app are a great start to DF.

This is a DF safety routine thats helped me.
    1. I have a dedicated DF pistol when possible.
    2. DF gear is stored separately from EDC and other firearms.
    3. I triple check that DR gun is unloaded before starting every DF practice.
    3. Observe all 4 safety rules.
    4. I've got one dummy mag and two other mags loaded with dummy rounds dedicated for DF.

Agree that timer for LF very helpful tool. Anything you pick up along the way please share. I'm still learning and got a long way to go.

Have fun!
    Last edited by Cheap Shot; 09-29-2018 at 01:01 PM.

Ok, Dry Fire Reloaded is ordered! I spent a couple hours listening to his podcast yesterday but I can’t say I got anything out of it yet besides a few chuckles. Then again, it may only be geared to comp shooters and I’m not getting the info being presented?

Nothing is free here. many small, regular sessions are better than excessively long sessions where you lose focus. And you can hurt yourself - tendinitis, cuts, blisters - be careful
    The plan right now is 15-20 minutes each evening. My wife goes to bed before I do so I’ve usually got an hour or more to myself each evening. I’ve already got carpal tunnel and tendinitis and my hands stay torn up from work so it’l Be what it’ll be.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Don’t wait on the shot timer.

Buy one now - upgrade later.

Buy via brownells for the warranty.
    Thanks for the reminder about the Brownell’s warranty!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheap Shot View Post
    http://timer.dryfire.ninja/

Thats the timer I use for DF loaded on a laptop.

DF reloaded is great.

Anything you pick up along the way please share. I'm still learning and got a long way to go.

Have fun!
    Thanks, I plan to and if I learn anything earth shattering I’ll pass it along!
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

The top is my duty gun, the bottom is my dry fire gun.

I have the ability to practice dry firing in my backyard up to 25 yards, which is the maximum distance for our qualification.

User Tag List