View Poll Results: Dry fire "kit", ammo or reloading components?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • MantisX/laser target combo (or other dry fire "kit")

2 9.09%
  • More ammo

12 54.55%
  • More reloading components

8 36.36%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: $200 to spend - dry fire "kit", ammo or reloading components?

The Mantis is a gimmick designed to separate people from their money and not teach them anything they couldn’t learn with disciplined dry fire.

Buy ammo.

I say buy ammo components. I get the luxury of shooting at home so I tend to blow through ammo quick. Plus it’s fun experimenting and trying to create the perfect round. Every time I get an urge to by the latest and greatest piece of kit I just dump my money into ammo components. Nothing beats actual live fire training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    The Mantis is a gimmick designed to separate people from their money and not teach them anything they couldn’t learn with disciplined dry fire.

Buy ammo.
    I bought it because I'm not disciplined with my dry-fire training, and record keeping in general. Nor am I good with self-evaluation. It has been a good motivational tool for me. I've made a few grip changes that I don't think I could have figured out with two trips to the range (fees and 150 rounds of ammo costs me over $100 here), so it's paid for itself already.

How other people use and benefit from the system, is not for me to assume

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    I bought it because I'm not disciplined with my dry-fire training, and record keeping in general. Nor am I good with self-evaluation. It has been a good motivational tool for me. I've made a few grip changes that I don't think I could have figured out with two trips to the range (fees and 150 rounds of ammo costs me over $100 here), so it's paid for itself already.

How other people use and benefit from the system, is not for me to assume
    When I’m not ranting about it, I recognize that for people at the developing end of the skill spectrum, there’s value in the MantisX because it can help with things like that. But once you get to say, USPSA B-class or so, the juice isn’t really worth the squeeze, because it’s not teaching you things you can’t self-diagnose at that point.

Yeah. I’m about as far away from B-class as one can be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have any 'experienced' shooters (USPSA A Class+ as an example) used the Mantis X and assessed it to be worthwhile vs. not worthwhile?
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

First off, thanks everyone for the information and contributions so far.

I don't compete and have only a minimal interest due to time and budget constraints but I AM interested in improving as much as I can from a concealed carry perspective.

I'm one of those who have shot for years (over 30) but I'm just now starting out on the road of being a shooter as opposed to someone just blasting rounds down range. I can tack a target to my wall and dry fire at it all day but other than smoothing out the trigger and working out my trigger finger, I don't get a lot of other benefit I can make use of because I don't know what it's telling me. As DocGKR says, "facts matter, feelings lie". I THINK this is where something like the Mantis or laser target would provide the feedback I need until I can make the next range trip.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    First off, thanks everyone for the information and contributions so far.

I don't compete and have only a minimal interest due to time and budget constraints but I AM interested in improving as much as I can from a concealed carry perspective.

I'm one of those who have shot for years (over 30) but I'm just now starting out on the road of being a shooter as opposed to someone just blasting rounds down range. I can tack a target to my wall and dry fire at it all day but other than smoothing out the trigger and working out my trigger finger, I don't get a lot of other benefit I can make use of because I don't know what it's telling me. As DocGKR says, "facts matter, feelings lie". I THINK this is where something like the Mantis or laser target would provide the feedback I need until I can make the next range trip.
    I’d suggest that you don’t know what modern dry fire is and can do.

Example: Try doing well on the Gabe White Standards or the FAST drill oe an El Presidente drill or whatever without dry fire, and with a constrained ammo budget. Compare results to somene who understands what dry fire is and can be.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post

Get training from a good USPSA shooter that can show you what you need improvement on, and shoot at least 3-4 times a month.
    I’m spending the weekend with this Dood. I hear he can shoot.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-and-30th-2018

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    Do you have a proper timer? Example: Pocket Pro 2

Do you have Dry Fire, Reloaded, and some Dry Fire Targets (relatively inexpensive)

Do you have a Dry Fire Practice Schedule?
    Thanks for the feedback.

I perhaps wasn’t clear. I meant, I do my Dry Practice with my pistols, mainly my G19.5. Not with a separate training device.

But I try and fit it in around life. It does not come first, second or third. I’m ok with that.

Timer - Yes, a PocketPro 2.

Stoeger’s books - I have skills and drills and Practical Pistol (reloaded). I’ll look into HMFIC’s Dry Practice Book. That looks interesting.

When I said I suck at USPSA, I meant I just made it into D class at 32%. On the other hand, I’m 59 and can’t see the front sights real well. I’ve also never had any specific instruction except for a Tom Givens class and a Frank Proctor 1 day last summer.

Tomorrow I’m heading to Lakeland FL to spend two days with Gabe. I hope to learn a lot.

User Tag List