View Poll Results: Dry fire "kit", ammo or reloading components?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • MantisX/laser target combo (or other dry fire "kit")

2 9.09%
  • More ammo

12 54.55%
  • More reloading components

8 36.36%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: $200 to spend - dry fire "kit", ammo or reloading components?

Question $250 to spend - dry fire "kit", ammo or reloading components?

I wasn't sure where to put this since it covers several areas but this seemed to be the best fit.

I've got a little mad money put aside and instead of throwing it at yet another handgun, I decided I need to get something helpful. She Who Puts Up With Me wants me to order something from Amazon but doggone it, it's not enough for free shipping so gee whiz, I've got the Dryfire Reloaded book in the cart as well.

The Mantis X has been on my radar for a couple months (and I've read some of the threads here) and one of the threads I read last night suggested pairing it with a laser target (at least that's how I read it). I don't get to the range more than once a month max, more like once a quarter so being able to practice in the garage or computer room is nice. Is there a better "kit" or separate components that can be put together got $200-250 than the Mantis and laser target combo? Something I can use for general marksmanship and keeping the rust at bay with striker and hammer fired pistols.

The next option is 750-1000 rounds of 9mm because more ammo is always good. Unless you deliver for FedUp...

Finally, I can always use more reloading components. I need to get the table built and press set up but that's not important right now.

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated, thanks!
    Last edited by awp_101; 09-28-2018 at 08:50 AM.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I am the person who used the two in conjunction with one another. I find I am using the laser way more then spending the time getting the MantisX out. Lasers can be had for around $40, although personally, I do like/recommend the LaserAmmo one because of the red tip if around other people. I use a 9mm where others could possibly see me shoot, and when I am by myself, I have a Laserlyte .40 in my other gun.
    I would skip the MantisX, and use the other part of your budget for either actual ammo or reloading stuff, if you want to start down that road.

Check eBay for MantisX. I bought one for around $80 used.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I voted for reloading components - that assumes you have reloading setup

More ammo is never a bad idea.

In fact I need to order a case.

So I voted more ammo.

Kidding (sorta). Never tried one of those dry practice thingies. I seem to have made progress sufficiently with just my handgun so far.

My shooting sucks so bad that my initial matches in USPSA (I think I have five now) mainly involve 1) not shooting myself 2) not shooting my RSO and lastly 3) trying to put two holes in the things (and only the things) that need two holes, quickly.
    Last edited by RJ; 09-28-2018 at 11:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post

In fact I need to order a case.

So I voted more ammo.

Kidding (sorta). Never tried one of those dry practice thingies. I seem to have made progress sufficiently with just my handgun so far.

My shooting sucks so bad that my initial matches in USPSA (I think I have five now) mainly involve 1) not shooting myself 2) not shooting my RSO and lastly 3) trying to put two holes in the things (and only the things) that need two holes, quickly.
    Do you have a proper timer? Example: Pocket Pro 2

Do you have Dry Fire, Reloaded, and some Dry Fire Targets (relatively inexpensive)

Do you have a Dry Fire Practice Schedule?

Training, Self-Directed Learning and Purposeful practice, starting with Dry Fire, then Live Fire validation of Dry Fire results will yield the largest benefit.

Geegaws like Mantis, (speaking generically, I've never used one) Laser Systems, etc. are vastly inferior to the above.

At some point you need ammo to practice, and a place where you can practice appropriately (not a lane at an indoor range). Getting more ammo to practice with, cheaper is never a bad plan but you won't get much value from it if you haven't laid the right foundation to maximize value from the expenditure.
    Last edited by GuanoLoco; 09-28-2018 at 12:33 PM.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

I voted reloading components but if time is an issue, buy ammo. Nothing can replace live fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post

Buy two of the same guns and stick with them until you are at least in the top 5 of your division in USPSA.

Get training from a good USPSA shooter that can show you what you need improvement on, and shoot at least 3-4 times a month.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    I wasn't sure where to put this since it covers several areas but this seemed to be the best fit.

I've got a little mad money put aside and instead of throwing it at yet another handgun, I decided I need to get something helpful. She Who Puts Up With Me wants me to order something from Amazon but doggone it, it's not enough for free shipping so gee whiz, I've got the Dryfire Reloaded book in the cart as well.

The Mantis X has been on my radar for a couple months (and I've read some of the threads here) and one of the threads I read last night suggested pairing it with a laser target (at least that's how I read it). I don't get to the range more than once a month max, more like once a quarter so being able to practice in the garage or computer room is nice. Is there a better "kit" or separate components that can be put together got $200-250 than the Mantis and laser target combo? Something I can use for general marksmanship and keeping the rust at bay with striker and hammer fired pistols.

The next option is 750-1000 rounds of 9mm because more ammo is always good. Unless you deliver for FedUp...

Finally, I can always use more reloading components. I need to get the table built and press set up but that's not important right now.

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated, thanks!
    I recommend the Mantis because it fills the opportunity gap between your monthly range trips.

The mantis provides feed back on your phone via the app so I would definitely do the Mantis over a laser target. If you have $ left I would definitely buy a shot timer over a laser target.

The only real limitation on the mat is is you are restricted to pistols and rifles with a rail.
    Last edited by HCM; 09-28-2018 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I recommend the Mantis because it fills the opportunity gap between your monthly range trips.

The mantis provides feed back on your phone via the app so I would definitely do the Mantis over a laser target. If you have $ left I would definitely buy a shot timer over a laser target.

The only real limitation on the mat is is you are restricted to pistols and rifles with a rail.
    Mantis also offers some magazine baseplate adapters. I have the Glock and the 1911 adapter. It allows the gun to fit in holsters, and you can practice draws, or use the system on guns without rails

https://mantisx.com/collections/all

A big part of the Mantis is that you can network with other matis users, by creating user-groups. Finding dry-fire motivation can sometimes be hard, but having other people that you can follow, and follow you keeps peer-pressure both high, and positive. It's some of the best money I've spent on shooting related stuff.
    Last edited by theJanitor; 09-28-2018 at 12:51 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    Mantis also offers some magazine baseplate adapters. I have the Glock and the 1911 adapter. It allows the gun to fit in holsters, and you can practice draws, or use the system on guns without rails

https://mantisx.com/collections/all

A big part of the Mantis is that you can network with other matis users, by creating user-groups. Finding dry-fire motivation can sometimes be hard, but having other people that you can follow, and follow you keeps peer-pressure both high, and positive. It's some of the best money I've spent on shooting related stuff.
    Agreed.

The ability to collect data during both dry and live fire and then compare and contrast them has been very helpful working with remedial shooters at work.

User Tag List