Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Still thinking about a J frame...

Still thinking about a J frame...

So I have been thinking about picking up a J frame for some time now. I feel it would enhance my students learning and show a wider variety of options to them. I also do not own a revolver, which is kind of criminal. I have a slightly used G26 with NS that never ever gets shot as well as a Sig C3 1911. I think a straight up trade would fly with the LGS for either one. The 1911 was purchased for the same reason I am trying to justify the J frame.... Everyone needs a 1911 right..... yeah, not so much. So the question is which pistol should I think about trading? The only potential problem that some will undoubetly point out is that I would need to stock an additional caliber. Not so much of a problem as my father loads for .38, so no issue there. Thoughts?
    Taking a break from social media.

No question about it, sell / trade the Sig C3 & use the funds for a J Frame & ammunition.
    Last edited by Kyle Reese; 02-28-2012 at 09:54 PM.

J frame should be in the $350-$400 range. I would think a straight trade for a C3 would be a pretty ugly deal for you.

If you have a local forum I would guess someone would give you a 642/442 and couple hundred bucks for a C3.

Quote Originally Posted by bofe954 View Post
    J frame should be in the $350-$400 range. I would think a straight trade for a C3 would be a pretty ugly deal for you.

If you have a local forum I would guess someone would give you a 642/442 and couple hundred bucks for a C3.
    I used to trade my guns in at the LGS and didn't realize how bad the deals were until I sold an unwanted gun through a forum. This is a much better way to go and you will get far more bang for your buck. For example Bud's would give you $475 (maybe more at an LGS but, probably not much) for the C3, or you could put it on a forum for 700 or a J-frame and cash. Just my .02, and I don't think you need a 1911, you either want one or you don't.

If your going with a J Frame as a teaching tool an all steel M-36 or M-60 might serve your need's better than an alloy framed model. Also, don't rule out the Ruger SP-101 for learning to use a revolver, it's weight make's a big difference in shooting a lot of rounds. I'm a S&W J frame fan but Ruger has impressed me with the LCR and SP-101.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    If I was buying a small revolver for teaching or to use as a loaner gun, I'd go with a steel gun as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    If I was buying a small revolver for teaching or to use as a loaner gun, I'd go with a steel gun as well.
    Absolutely. I have been carrying one sort of J frame or another, every day, since 1978. Sometimes for back-up, sometimes for primary (only, but those days are over with), but always.

The AirWeights and AirLites are NOT fun to shoot, and in fact can intimidate the heck out of a new shooter. I had to qualify with them at least once a year, sometimes more. In 1992, I scored a M-640 to use for that purpose; I was carrying a new-issue M-642; and haven't looked back. I still use that M-640 to practice with.

Purists, of course, scoff at this sort of thing, insisting one MUST use the same gun/same load to get any meaningful training out of a practice session. BS. I even know a few of this type of guy... and I shoot a lot more than they do.

Anyway, the steel gun is definitely the smart move for a trainer/demo piece. The difference in recoil between it and an alloy (AirWeight) gun is substantial. The difference between it and a scandium (AirLite) gun is startling.

I no longer currently own a j frame but I'm thinking hard about a LCR instead if I'm to fill that small niche.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

My mother selected an LCR as her "house gun" after my dad passed. She liked the way it fit her hand better than any of the others we tried.

I was somewhat underwhelmed with her choice, but it was HER choice. I put 100 rounds of standard pressure target ammunition through it, and ten JHPs, as a reliability check. No problems, of course (it IS a Ruger, after all), but it "loosened up" considerably. I'm referring to the fit between the yoke and the frame, cylinder lock-up, etc. The gun still works; but it rattles when you shake it.

Another thing... I read all these folks waxing euphoric about the DA trigger. Its nothing special. Definitely a bit lighter than your average J frame, but certainly not any smoother. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and all of that, I suppose...

Add all of this to the fact that the LCR is measurably a bit larger than a non-magnum J frame, and color me not impressed. I will certainly admit to a bit of bias toward J frames, but facts are still facts. I'm not concerned, because the next time that gun is fired will be if she has to use it, and I have no doubt it will work at that time. But the fact that it became quite loose after 100 wadcutters makes me wonder...

FWIW, I am more "not impressed" with S&W's polymer frame snubby revolver. Jeez, what an abortion THAT is.

Yet, I carry a plastic semi-auto, so I have nothing against polymer per se.

I suppose my point to all of this is, unless you just WANT the features of the LCR, you'll probably be better off with a standard non-magnum J frame.

The LCR feels better because it has a bigger grip. The jframe is durable as hell. I agree that you should go all steel as a loaner. My 642 isn't fun. I shoot it because it is a tool that I use. I shoot my other stuff for fun.

User Tag List