Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on transferable select fire options

The Mac 11/9 with a Lage upper would be my choice. One of my favorite shooting sub-guns.

My other choice (and the one I'd start with, if I were buying tomorrow) is a Sterling. Great gun, extremely reliable, super easy to shoot. Not super "modernizable" but still a really great gun.

When I finally settle in a place and start buying full autos, my three will be a Lage-equipped Mac, a Sterling, and a M712 Schnellfeuer.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    The Mac 11/9 with a Lage upper would be my choice. One of my favorite shooting sub-guns.

My other choice (and the one I'd start with, if I were buying tomorrow) is a Sterling. Great gun, extremely reliable, super easy to shoot. Not super "modernizable" but still a really great gun.

When I finally settle in a place and start buying full autos, my three will be a Lage-equipped Mac, a Sterling, and a M712 Schnellfeuer.
    Not all transferable Sterlings were created equal - a substantial number of them were built & registered as mixmaster guns using some STEN and some Sterling parts, frequently in STEN tubes (CATCO, etc). Such guns are sometimes called 'Stenlings'. Some run well, some don't. The ones that don't are frequently the ones found for sale, particularly at competitive pricing.
    There was a wave of Sterling SMG parts kits a few years back and many of the Stenlings were brought into full Sterling-SMG spec with those parts. But a few weird 80's/90's frankenguns linger in people's safes.

If you're considering a Sterling, ensure that it runs well on Sterling magazines and is not ammo sensitive, and was built with 100% Sterling parts on whatever registered tube it may have. If possible, get video of the weapon doing a couple of consecutive mag dumps on cheap ammo before committing to buy.

There are only a few original M712's on the registry - even the FA conversions to C96's bring big $$$$$.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    Not all transferable Sterlings were created equal - a substantial number of them were built & registered as mixmaster guns using some STEN and some Sterling parts, frequently in STEN tubes (CATCO, etc). Such guns are sometimes called 'Stenlings'. Some run well, some don't. The ones that don't are frequently the ones found for sale, particularly at competitive pricing.
    There was a wave of Sterling SMG parts kits a few years back and many of the Stenlings were brought into full Sterling-SMG spec with those parts. But a few weird 80's/90's frankenguns linger in people's safes.

If you're considering a Sterling, ensure that it runs well on Sterling magazines and is not ammo sensitive, and was built with 100% Sterling parts on whatever registered tube it may have. If possible, get video of the weapon doing a couple of consecutive mag dumps on cheap ammo before committing to buy.

There are only a few original M712's on the registry - even the FA conversions to C96's bring big $$$$$.
    Absolutely on both points. A very good friend of mine is a big NFA collector. Anything I wanted to buy, I'd have him inspect. He's been collecting machine guns for about 25 years now and is pretty well versed in what is good and bad. Which I suppose brings up a valid point, if you're looking for your first full-auto piece, finding a buddy or a trusted individual to inspect the gun you want to buy is a good idea if possible.

Not really having much in the way of people to check stuff out for me, I’m definitely leaning away from dropping that kind of coin at this point...I guess that’s exacerbated by not really knowing get what I want (at least, within my budget - I’d like an m-16 set up in a Car-15 configuration).

Looking like the plane is a better long term plan - have fun assembling the kit, and build hours less expensively than renting, plus, I could do some backcountry camping, and add floats in the future....

Ah, the tortures lf having expensive interests....

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan_S View Post
    Not really having much in the way of people to check stuff out for me, I’m definitely leaning away from dropping that kind of coin at this point...I guess that’s exacerbated by not really knowing get what I want (at least, within my budget - I’d like an m-16 set up in a Car-15 configuration).

Looking like the plane is a better long term plan - have fun assembling the kit, and build hours less expensively than renting, plus, I could do some backcountry camping, and add floats in the future....

Ah, the tortures lf having expensive interests....
    Get the plane. Machine guns are a lot of fun, but they're a one-trick pony.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    Get the plane. Machine guns are a lot of fun, but they're a one-trick pony.
    Or, you could do this:
    -Find a range that rents machineguns
    -Buy a case of ammo
    -Shoot it all

That would probably scratch the machinegun itch without paying tens of thousands of dollars.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Or, you could do this:
    -Buy a case of ammo
    -Shoot it all

That would probably scratch the machinegun itch without paying tens of thousands of dollars.
    So I've hesitated to comment on this thread, as I don't own any NFA items, and never have.

However, the reason I DON'T own any NFA items is that of exactly what Joe in PNG just said. I did get to play with some full auto toys while working for my Rich Uncle, and in later, civilian life had a period where I could have financially swung a FA gun. During that period, I rented a couple of times, and got to shoot friends FA guns a few more and was reminded that the new kinda wears off pretty quick.

Buying a full auto firearm is a giant pain in the ass. I would suggest that before you drop that kind of money, that you find a way to rent or otherwise get trigger time on the exact thing you want to buy, and then you'll have a pretty good idea of whether the juice is worth the squeeze.

The first few mags through an MP5/Thomspons/Whatever are pretty cool. After that there's a point of diminishing returns, IMO.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Cool

Oh, an airplane is the other option? Hell yeah, dump the gun and get the plane. My buddy has a Cirrus SR22. It is nice! It has a turbo, touchscreen controls, luxury car-like leather seats, and AC. I think it even has airbags and its own parachute! If you think a MG is a money suck (convert money into smoke/noise); a plane is a black hole. Just hearing about costs for hanger, maintenance, fuel, licensing, etc made me a little queasy....but it is so fucking cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    So I've hesitated to comment on this thread, as I don't own any NFA items, and never have.

However, the reason I DON'T own any NFA items is that of exactly what Joe in PNG just said. I did get to play with some full auto toys while working for my Rich Uncle, and in later, civilian life had a period where I could have financially swung a FA gun. During that period, I rented a couple of times, and got to shoot friends FA guns a few more and was reminded that the new kinda wears off pretty quick.

Buying a full auto firearm is a giant pain in the ass. I would suggest that before you drop that kind of money, that you find a way to rent or otherwise get trigger time on the exact thing you want to buy, and then you'll have a pretty good idea of whether the juice is worth the squeeze.

The first few mags through an MP5/Thomspons/Whatever are pretty cool. After that there's a point of diminishing returns, IMO.
    I put a half a case of Wolff through a Glock 18 some years back. Pretty much cured me of the full auto bug.
    Would I shoot a machine gun again? Sure, but I'm not going to seek one out and spend my own money to do so.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Or, you could do this:
    -Buy a case of ammo
    -Shoot it all

I’ve had the chance to have fired a variety of full autos.

AK, Galil, MP5, M16, Thompson, BAR... I can make a call and go play with a BRP.

But, I’ve been less and less interested in semi-autos, and more interested in bolt guns.

Anyway.....

We’ll see...

User Tag List