Thread: O/U Fianchi with Fiber Optic front site

O/U Fianchi with Fiber Optic front site

Howdy all

I have been forcing myself to become a better shot with my new O/U 12 gauge.
    Not sure why I am not as good as I was with my 870 pump...
    Could it be the fiber optic front site?
    Maybe because it's a lighter gun?

Kinda frustrating when I was a pretty good shooter with the 870.
    Definitely bagged more pheasant.

I even bought a auto thrower for clays, I'm not giving up without a fight!

By-the-way, thanks for adding me to the forum...
    I'm from a little town, Florissant, in Colorado at 9,000 ft.
    Firefighter is my job up here.

Doug

Site Supporter
    Shooting shot guns well is largely about how the gun fits you since your eye is basically the rear sight. This video does a better job of explaining it than I can. Have you tried patterning it to see where the shot is going and how it is distributed?

Last edited by EricP; 09-27-2018 at 04:47 AM.

Wingshooting is all about form and the fit of the gun. Going from a pump to an O/U is a drastic change due to inherent LOP and overall length changes. I would watch the video above as well as some others and get that fit dialed in. Then get the reps in.

The gun weight is also a factor due to muscle memory but that swing will come in time.

FWIW, I have a Franchi Instinct SL 20ga and it is my favorite long arm I have ever had but I needed to sign up for some wingshooting lessons at first when I was transitioning from pump bird guns. I do have an Orvis pad on it and so am maxing out the LOP for my frame.
    Last edited by PNWTO; 09-27-2018 at 01:34 PM.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    I needed to sign up for some wingshooting lessons at first when I was transitioning from pump bird guns.
    There's really no replacement for having someone who knows what they're doing watch you in person so you can fix whatever is wrong.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Awesome video, you can teach an old Doug new tricks.

Quote Originally Posted by EricP View Post
    Shooting shot guns well is largely about how the gun fits you since your eye is basically the rear sight. This video does a better job of explaining it than I can. Have you tried patterning it to see where the shot is going and how it is distributed?

Site Supporter
    Are you looking at the bead? Can always take the fiber optic off if it's pulling you off the pigeon.

I have a Franchi 20 guage-- I like it but I've heard more experienced shooters than me say that the comb is lower than other (more expensive) OU's.

I always like Phil Bourjaily's stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Walkafire View Post
    Howdy all

I have been forcing myself to become a better shot with my new O/U 12 gauge.
    Not sure why I am not as good as I was with my 870 pump...
    Could it be the fiber optic front site?
    Maybe because it's a lighter gun?

Kinda frustrating when I was a pretty good shooter with the 870.
    Definitely bagged more pheasant.

I even bought a auto thrower for clays, I'm not giving up without a fight!

By-the-way, thanks for adding me to the forum...
    I'm from a little town, Florissant, in Colorado at 9,000 ft.
    Firefighter is my job up here.

Doug
    Very good advice given.

A few things to consider:

How many rounds have you shot with your new O/U as compared to the ole 870?
    Everyone seems to think a new O/U will improve their shooting ability, and it may, however you must put in the time.
    Proper fitting is great, how ever, as mentioned in the video, consistent mounting is required, as well as consistent fundamentals.

Is proper fitting really required for hunting or recreational clays? There have been many good ole boy's that have killed a lot of birds, both clay and real with a good ole 870 right out the box.

If your at the level where consistently breaking 99 birds vs 98 makes the difference with win at a shoot, then fitting may help, it not there is probably many other things you can do to improve.

A final thought, pistol shooting screws up my clay shooting, because I tend to focus on the front sight. Shooting is all about fundamentals and the mental game.

Site Supporter
    Ideally you would not be seeing the bead. I don't know why the gun would have a fiber optic bead which makes it a front sight. I too have tried switching from an 870 to an o/u. With a Citori, I shot over the target. Also, I tended to swing it too rapidly. As has been said, fit is important, but most of us can't or won't spend the money to pay for stock adjustments. Shooting the o/u on paper by pointing and not
    aiming, you'll get immediate feedack. If you can shoot skeet with the o/u after you check poi on paper, you will soon accomodate the new shotgun.

I think fit makes a bigger difference than just 98 vs 99/100 targets. You can certainly do good work with a stock gun that doesn't fit perfectly, but it takes less effort to get more with a gun that fits. It isn't always too expensive either; I had a superposed fit to me for only ~200 bucks 8 or 9 years ago (hair shorter, little bit of cast on), and a 11-48 fit to my girlfriend for about the same. Just get in your reps, go out and break clay, and ask the folks at the local club who they recommend locally for stock work. Have them watch your form too; sometimes problems are obvious to a third party. Practice is definitely the most important part though. Use that auto thrower and burn up a case of ammo every week or two and you'll get up to speed fast.

User Tag List