Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Glock Gen 3 versus Gen 4 triggers

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    he does show the difference with a hand held scale
    I understand what the guy in the video is attempting to show, but I'm saying that his use of a homemade trigger scale is at best - severely suboptimal. To measure the trigger correctly, you should be pulling the trigger straight back, the same way your trigger finger would, and it needs to contact the same point on the trigger every time. You can get wild variations in pull weights if you're not careful - especially with Glocks. I make a point to use a silver sharpie to mark my trigger face to make sure I can contact it in the same place between iterations, especially since some time can pass as you disassemble and reassemble.

I've spent a lot of time swapping trigger bars, connectors, and a ton of other parts in Glocks to get a better pull. IME - removing the dimple is does not make a noticeable difference if you properly lube the the contact point with the slide. I've swapped trigger bars with Gen3 guns and noticed less than a quarter pound difference. I've only extensively messed with (2) Gen4 19 triggers, so my sample size is only 2.

Does every piece add up? Sure, but I don't believe that dimple is what makes the trigger feel so much different when compared to a Gen3.
    Last edited by JV_; 03-06-2012 at 08:31 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    he suggested that I get the Guardian trigger package with a Gen 3 trigger bar.
    One thing to note about older trigger bars, compared to new ones (like Gen4 bars), they have a larger trigger spring hole (and groove) which helps with trigger spring life.

FWIW: I have a Gen3 37 trigger bar, and it has the new trigger spring hole/guide. I think it's something that they're doing to all new trigger bars, but I'm not sure. I know all of the Gen4s have the enlarged hole.

I just received the "Guardian" trigger from GlockTriggers. com. While it was for a Gen 4 17, I specified a Gen 3 trigger bar. This is their non-adjustable carry trigger, that uses all Glock factory parts.

My objective was to achieve a trigger in my Gen 4 that felt like a good, well shot in Gen 3 trigger. Quick answer is the trigger is just what I was looking for -- feels like a great Gen 3 trigger. Appropriate weight for carry and just the amount of roll I like. Based on a number of his trigger posts, my guess is TLG would love this trigger in his Gen 4 G17.

Site Supporter
    Great!

When you get a minute, can you take a look at the back end of the trigger bar, the part that engages the ledge on the connector, and see if it's the same profile as an OEM trigger bar?

Pistolero
    Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    ....... The trigger bars differ between Gen3 and Gen4 guns in one little area, the point that depresses the striker safety. The Gen4 guns have a dimple on it to prevent deflection. It adds a little bit of friction to the trigger mechanism, but I don't find it noticeable.
    Gen4 trigger bars differ in one other respect. The angle of the sear has been increased to ride up higher and a little more firmly against the striker lug.

Sorry, but I can't help. While I really wanted one, I never ponied up the money to try one for a high number of rounds. $125 for a trigger assembly crosses my threshold, I'll change my trigger habits to fit the gun rather than make the gun fit me.
    Me, too!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistolero View Post
    Gen4 trigger bars differ in one other respect. The angle of the sear has been increased to ride up higher and a little more firmly against the striker lug.
    I have the following trigger bars in my spare parts bin:

(4) Gen4 17
    (3) Gen3 19
    (1) Gen3 17

None of those trigger bars have any discernible differences in the part that contacts the striker.

Pistolero

(4) Gen4 17
    (3) Gen3 19
    (1) Gen3 17

None of those trigger bars have any discernible differences in the part that contacts the striker.
    I don't know what you've got? I do know that photos and descriptions of this change were announced on Glock Talk some months back. I saw the pictures; and I read the posted comments. What I am not going to do is go back to Glock Talk and search through months of posts in order to prove a point. Besides Glock, GmbH does so much screwing around with component parts - much of it undocumented and unannounced - that you could have anything, in whatever version number, in your spare parts bin.

I'll make a mental note of your reply; and, if I come across this information again I'll post to this thread.

Pistolero

(4) Gen4 17
    (3) Gen3 19
    (1) Gen3 17

Here! Because we don't know one another yet, and I'd like to get off on the right foot with you, I just had to look: http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1307456 Post #16.

As I said, I have no idea what you've got in your spare parts bin; but, it might not be what you think it is; and, THAT would be, 'perfect Glockola'.

Site Supporter
    It's talking about the bend where the spring attaches, not the bend "UP" that touches the striker. That's a big difference.

Yes, there is a new spring attachment point. It has a larger hole and a guide for the spring, both are supposed to increase spring life. The Gen3 bars have the larger hole too.

Site Supporter
    FWIW: If you want to compare the difference between a Gen4 trigger bar and an older Gen3 trigger bar, somewhat isolating the impact of the "dimple" (without getting out the dremel), you can get one of these (new spring loop/dogleg - no dimple):

The only caveat is that you can't get too fine with your comparisons because it's not exactly a precision part, and the variation between two similar models is sometimes noticeable. Some people go as far as buying a bunch and cherry picking the one that feels best.
    Last edited by JV_; 03-13-2012 at 04:52 PM.

User Tag List