Thread: Who's Who in Shotgun Smiths?

Who's Who in Shotgun Smiths?

A buddy reached out to me and asked about a project to have internal choke threads cut in a plain barreled UTAS XTR 12. I don't know nuthin' bout nuthin' when it comes to shotguns, so I figured I'd ask here who might be a good choice for such a project.

Thanks in advance.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    A buddy reached out to me and asked about a project to have internal choke threads cut in a plain barreled UTAS XTR 12. I don't know nuthin' bout nuthin' when it comes to shotguns, so I figured I'd ask here who might be a good choice for such a project.

Thanks in advance.
    This is not a complex task and any decent gunsmith should be able to manage it unless there are challenges specific to the UTAS shotgun.

I had a plain Mod choked single-shot barrel modified for Rem chokes 18 years ago. It wasn't cheap, but cheaper than buying a new barrel pre-configured with removable chokes.

Chris

Oils and Lotions SME
    I have had good work done by Wilson Combat. Vang Comp also has an excellent reputation. I've seen a bunch of their work, but I haven't sent them anything yet.
    Hokey religions and ancient lubricants are no match for a good Group IV PAO

Owner 360 Performance Shooting

As long as there is sufficient meat in the barrel to thread for chokes, any competent gunsmith (or probably just a machinist) should be able to do that job for less $150 (not counting the cost of the choke tubes). Winchoke is probably still the most common choke thread pattern out there.

But if he really wants someone good to do it, for whatever reason, Briley remains one of the best in the business.

I had Karl Sokol of Chestnut Mountain Sports cut and re-thread a vent rib 870 barrel some years ago. Turned out well.

Site Supporter
    Well recommended with reasonable prices and turn-a-round:

Mike Orlen Gunsmithing
    79 Salem Street
    Amherst, Ma 01002

Ph 413-256-1630

Another vote(s) for Wilson Combat and Vang Comp/ . Excellent work.

User Tag List