Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI: Moving to the Mountains of NC/VA

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Franklin is pretty hot and humid during the Summer.
    Aaannnd scratching Franklin off the list.... Seriously, if we are going to uproot our entire lives, we are at least going to work toward a more comfortable clime. At this point, I will trade a little deeper winter for a little cooler summer. Realizing that there is no perfect set-up; but given the heat and humidity I have endured all of my life, I am willing to have it average out.

Hey, so, is deer hunting a thing in VA? What about duck hunting? Southern Alabama is a good ways off the flyway, but we still get some birds coming to visit most winters. And we chase both local and out-of-town wood ducks here which is my favorite. Please tell me that there are huntable woodies in VA/NC.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    Hey, so, is deer hunting a thing in VA? What about duck hunting? Southern Alabama is a good ways off the flyway, but we still get some birds coming to visit most winters. And we chase both local and out-of-town wood ducks here which is my favorite. Please tell me that there are huntable woodies in VA/NC.
    Lots of huntable public land in VA (national forests and wildlife management areas). Public land deer harvests have been declining these last few years due to increasing coyote and black bear populations, but still remain high on private land. Still, if you're patient and have good skills, hunting on public land is still good.

ETA: What this means is that in a public land deer camp where we'd (3-4 people) have 3-5 deer hanging in trees after a few days, we might have 1 or 2. However, we're getting older and less interested in spending all day up in the woods (I'm the youngest at 45). Deer camp is becoming more social and less hardcore hunting. CWD is becoming a problem too.

I don't duck hunt, so I can't help you there.

Chris
    Last edited by mtnbkr; 09-26-2018 at 07:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Lots of huntable public land in VA (national forests and wildlife management areas). Public land deer harvests have been declining these last few years due to increasing coyote and black bear populations, but still remain high on private land. Still, if you're patient and have good skills, hunting on public land is still good.

ETA: What this means is that in a public land deer camp where we'd (3-4 people) have 3-5 deer hanging in trees after a few days, we might have 1 or 2. However, we're getting older and less interested in spending all day up in the woods (I'm the youngest at 45). Deer camp is becoming more social and less hardcore hunting.
    Sounds a bit like Alabama, except our deer population seems to be increasing, not declining. And no bears to speak of here. Thanks.

Site Supporter
    Sounds a bit like Alabama, except our deer population seems to be increasing, not declining. And no bears to speak of here. Thanks.
    I don't know that the deer population is necessarily declining, but they aren't as thick on the ground on public lands. 10 years ago, I would have to shoo them out of my way or could merely set my tree stand up overlooking a well used trail, some rubs, or even a large collection of deer poop at be certain one would walk past my stand if I managed to sit there for a couple hours. These days, you have to do more scouting and sit in your stand or ground blind for longer period of time. This is all on public grounds, the deer seem just as thick on private property, but I don't have hunting access on privately owned land. Just north of us in WV, it seems to be "easier" based on what my friends there report.

As for bears, they've definitely increased. I didn't see a live bear in the wild from the mid 90s until a couple years ago, then started seeing them all the time it feels like. One year, I saw more bears than deer in the local WMA I hunt. My F2F encounters with coyotes have increased, but not to the extent of the bear encounters.

Chris

Stay out of VA. HORRIBLE state. NC and TN are FAR better options. Out of those two I would choose TN. Cheaper cost of living compared to NC.

I’ve lived in all three states and would choose TN again in a heartbeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nightstalker865 View Post
    Stay out of VA. HORRIBLE state. NC and TN are FAR better options. Out of those two I would choose TN.
    Would you mind elaborating on the issues with VA?

Oh, I have two specific questions. First, the majority of houses we are looking at do not have air conditioning; just heating. I am assuming really hot days are few? Down here, A/C is a must have. Any comments on the lack of A/C?

Second, are termites a concern in NC/VA/TN? Was wondering since a lot of what we are looking at has log cabin construction.

Would you mind elaborating on the issues with VA?
    TAXES.....TAXES.....TAXES.

Your life will be controlled by NOVA. That’s where the bulk of the population is and it’s pure BLUE.

Trust me, if you want that small city feel, find something up in the tri-cites area in TN and enjoy your life.

I love Western NC as well, but they have much higher taxes than TN.

As for the ac question, I would not live in this area without ac. It’s hot and HUMID during the summer months.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by nightstalker865 View Post
    Stay out of VA. HORRIBLE state. NC and TN are FAR better options. Out of those two I would choose TN. Cheaper cost of living compared to NC.

I’ve lived in all three states and would choose TN again in a heartbeat.

I've lived in all three as well (was born in NC, lived there till I was 8, went to college there, and travel back regularly to visit family). I have no desire to move back. I could stand living in Western NC, but don't see it significantly different than Western VA or Eastern TN. The rest of the state is purple and turning bluer every year.
    I lived in TN for 6 years and have returned as a tourist to the mountains a number of times. I like the state, but at this point in my life, it's too far from my aging parents and inlaws.

I wouldn't call VA horrible per se. The state has 3-4 distinct regions that are totally unlike each other.
    SW VA & Shenandoah Valley (mountains): This is the region that would most likely appeal the OP and average PFer. Solidly "red".
    Central and SE VA (Richmond and surrounding region): This is the region I'd consider "old Virginia" or the Virginia outside people think of when they think of Virginia. Purple turning bluer.
    Northern VA (DC metro area): This is where I live. Mostly blue, overcrowded, and fast paced. I only live here for work and do not intend to remain after retirement (some 20 years away). This is the portion of the state I'd agree is "horrible".

Unless I decide to move north to WV, I'll likely try and retire to SW VA or the Shenandoah Valley.

Chris

Oh, I have two specific questions. First, the majority of houses we are looking at do not have air conditioning; just heating. I am assuming really hot days are few? Down here, A/C is a must have. Any comments on the lack of A/C?

Second, are termites a concern in NC/VA/TN? Was wondering since a lot of what we are looking at has log cabin construction.
    If you have the luxury of living high (3,500' minimum) and have decent shading, a lot of folks make do without A/C (or just window units, perhaps) as our summer temps aren't too bad and the hottest part of the day only last a few hours. In this part of the world, it's all determined by altitude. If you want to stay cool in the Summer you gotta get high and there are no towns/cities of any size above 4,000' in NC, so urban living is out.

Termites are a major issue in most parts of the South. Wood boring Carpenter Bees are also a HUGE issue with most wooden structures.

This site may prove helpful in your decision making:

https://www.freedominthe50states.org/
    Last edited by 41magfan; 09-27-2018 at 07:10 AM.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

User Tag List