Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI: Moving to the Mountains of NC/VA

RFI: Moving to the Mountains of NC/VA

I am currently a redneck, but I aspire to become a hillbilly... I have lived my entire life on the coast of Alabama/Mississippi. I plan to retire within the next five years or so and me and the wife are looking to move to the mountains. Specifically, we are researching the western ends of North Carolina and Virginia (although eastern Tennessee is in the running as well). This next thing might sound a little silly, but it is true. We are both tired of the day in/day out heat and humidity of living in the deep South and are looking to escape that to some degree. That said, we are not inclined to move to a place where winter is overly long or harsh (we briefly considered Montana/Wyoming/Idaho, but dismissed that due to the winters).

We have been looking at properties online and have a bunch bookmarked. We are also taking a week next month to go check out some areas and some of these properties. A few of the criteria we have set are, looking for some elevation, nice views, privacy, outdoor sports/things to do, and just a nice place to live. Definitely leaning more rural than in-town, but we also have the elderly in-laws coming with us, so reasonable access to medical care is a consideration. More specifically, I *think* we would like to be situated in, or adjacent to, a national forest if possible.

With all that in mind, I understand I am in a state of not knowing what I don't know about living at elevation in these areas. I am wide open to any input anyone has with regard to snakes in the woodpile or just pro tips for moving to any of the areas. Things like restrictions or considerations that might come with owning property inside a national forest. Things to consider when buying a house on the side of a mountain. Areas to avoid. Areas to look into. Places where people might tend toward being clannish; or places where folks are pretty friendly. Some of the places that look good on paper are Bryson City, Little Switzerland, Bakersville, Banner Elk, Grayson/Laurel Bloomery, Bland, Narrows, and Vesuvius. Basically the I-80 corridor (more or less) up to the top of Virginia.

We are not in a hurry to do this and want to get this right. We have a decent, but not crazy, budget to work with. We plan on taking some trips through these areas during the coldest, and hottest, parts of the year to get a feel for what that is like. I know this whole post/RFI rambles a little, but that sort makes the point that, again, I am open to hearing anything anyone has as far as finding a good location to settle down in. I am *really* looking forward to retirement and would like to get this right. Thanks in advance.

RFI: Moving to the Mountains of NC/VA

Paging @blues

I spent 4 days recently in Watauga County (Blowing Rock / Boone) just visiting the area. I’ll post some thoughts later today but it was just a quick trip for a family reunion.
    Last edited by RJ; 09-26-2018 at 05:44 AM.

Watching with interest. My horizon is a little further out, and I’m trying to look at areas I hadn’t considered.

I have noticed an increasing amount of interest in “the mountains of NC,” for the past several years. So, if buying, buy a big-enough piece of land, so it will still feel remote when the area gets loved to death by other like-minded folks. If there is a nice view that is dependent upon that hillside/mountainside remaining undeveloped, buy the whole hillside/mountainside, to the top.

Actually, this principal applies just about everywhere. We live on flat Gulf Coastal prairie, but our neighborhood is being changed by folks who knock-down the bungalows, and build McMansions, surrounded by high fences. We are about to lose our morning sun, and have to live with a view of an eight or ten feet of solid fence. The plants that attract the butterflies and hummingbirds, along the east side of our house, are going to fail to thrive, or die, if we do not move them. We are wondering whether to knock-down our bungalow, and build a modest multi-story house, or move to, well, somewhere like the mountains of NC or TN.

ETA: Take a look at the entire tax situation, and chose the state that is best for your individual situation. A few years ago, I drove to Piedmont, AL, to pick up a Bloodhound, from a lady who was downsizing her dog operation, after a move to AL, from FL, for tax reasons. (She had retired, and was also retiring from canine SAR volunteer work.) If I recall correctly, she and her husband carefully considered several states in the region, and chose to move to the mountains of northern AL.
    Last edited by Rex G; 09-26-2018 at 08:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    Some of the places that look good on paper are Bryson City, Little Switzerland, Bakersville, Banner Elk, Grayson/Laurel Bloomery, Bland, Narrows, and Vesuvius. Basically the I-80 corridor (more or less) up to the top of Virginia.

We are not in a hurry to do this and want to get this right. We have a decent, but not crazy, budget to work with. We plan on taking some trips through these areas during the coldest, and hottest, parts of the year to get a feel for what that is like. I know this whole post/RFI rambles a little, but that sort makes the point that, again, I am open to hearing anything anyone has as far as finding a good location to settle down in. I am *really* looking forward to retirement and would like to get this right. Thanks in advance.
    You've got the right idea. You need to visit the areas and get a feel for the culture, the weather, the seasons.

For example, for several years before moving to NC we'd come up on motorcycling / hiking trips primarily in the Smokies.
    We stayed in Bryson City many times because we'd use the Deep Creek entrance to hike many of the longer trails in the National Park.

When it came time to start looking for homes, I realized quickly that Bryson City, as great as it was for access to hiking and water sports, was a pretty dead town for restaurants, social activity and shopping. Not wanting to handle retirement, a new home and cause my wife to file for divorce all in short order, I rethought the process and we looked at small town living elsewhere.

We settled into a home a few miles outside of a nice small town which had the amenities that Bryson City didn't have. A small college, nice library, music festivals, pubs, restaurants, nearby access to national and state forests, waterfalls, as well as reasonable cost of living, health care etc.

4WD comes in handy on steep, windy roads which may include gravel, mud, clay etc.

Winters aren't too bad, depending on elevation. We're at about 2500'. The higher elevations will be colder and get more snow in winter than we do. Some years we get none...some we get a few feet.

We're also in a rainy part of the state, as much of western NC tends to be.

If you find the right spot, I don't doubt you'll find it a good place to live.
    Last edited by blues; 09-26-2018 at 08:46 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    We are wondering whether to knock-down our bungalow, and build a modest multi-story house, or move to, well, somewhere like the mountains of NC or TN.
    C'mon up, Rex. We'd love to have ya.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    We settled into a home a few miles outside of a nice small town which had the amenities that Bryson City didn't have. A small college.
    Yea? Are they hiring? Because I'd stab someone for a job near mountains and a place where I could have 5-10 acres of paradise.

I'm not sure about the neighbors though.

I'm proud to say I spent 4 years getting an education in the area. Appalachian State University, class of '97.

Boone, Banner Elk, Blowing Rock, Seven Devils, Foscoe and West Jefferson are all places worth looking at, depending on your tastes and desired budget. Truly beautiful country up there. And, if need be, an easy drive down 421 puts you right in Winston-Salem if you need "big city" stuff, for whatever reason.

Vehicles with 4WD or all-wheel drive (specifically Subarus) are common. There's a reason for that.

Good luck in your hunt. Good people up there.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Yea? Are they hiring? Because I'd stab someone for a job near mountains and a place where I could have 5-10 acres of paradise.

Not sure you can put up with them or they with you?

I'll shoot you a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post

App State in Boone and UNC Asheville are two options. My institution provides staffing at several hospitals in Boone and greater Asheville. All of my partners working at those sites love both areas although they are different. Asheville is a lot more granola.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

User Tag List