Thread: Beretta 92 Grip Screw Broken

Beretta 92 Grip Screw Broken

I was installing a new set of LOK grips on my 92 last night and apparently I had applied a little too much torque on one of the screws and snapped it in half. Unfortunately the remaining bit of screw in the frame is flush with the threaded part that it’s screwed into. What’s the best way to remove it so I can get a fresh screw in there?

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Site Supporter
    Try using a vibrating electro-marking tool held at an angle. If screw loosens, then use tool to turn it. A left hand drill with very small bit might turn the screw. With this drill, using a left hand bit might be even better.
    Also using a hair dryer to heat the frame will allow expansion to work in your favor. One last trick would be epoxying a small bit to the screw and backing it out.

You might drop penetrating oil on the screw.
    Last edited by willie; 09-25-2018 at 07:22 PM.

I've had this happen with a Beretta screw (actually, two to be precise). I bought a small tap from my local hardware store for a few dollars and the broken screws came quickly out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    I've had this happen with a Beretta screw (actually, two to be precise). I bought a small tap from my local hardware store for a few dollars and the broken screws came quickly out.
    This seems like a much simpler and less expensive process. I’ll see what I can find here in the next day or two.

This will work if you have a drill press or can handle a handheld drill with some precision. The process requires a small hole drilled in the fastener to be removed and then threading in the extractor. https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/0312160

If you're using hex head screws be smart and replace them with slotted screws once you get it out. This is far too common with hex heads and the primary reason why I don't use them.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    If you're using hex head screws be smart and replace them with slotted screws once you get it out. This is far too common with hex heads and the primary reason why I don't use them.
    Nah, they’re slotted head screws. The problem in this case is that the head is no longer attached anywho. It’s just the tip of the threaded part that was left behind in the frame.

User Tag List