Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: .500 S&W lever-action rifle

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    What would a .460 S&W lever gun do that a .444 Marlin lever gun wouldn't?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quick comment on retina issues. I spent years shooting heavy caliber rifles to .458 Lott and .460 G&A. At a Randy Cain AK class about six or seven years ago, I shot a bazillion rounds of 7.62x39 out of an uncomfortable stocked AK. The first night, I had flashes in my right eye. Checked when I got home and fine, although told the flashes may be a precursor to a torn retina. Then a year later, woke up in our remote cabin 100 miles from town, with a torn retina in my right eye. Really took a year to get through, required a special issuance FAA medical, and I still have floaters in that eye. Retina issues are no fun, and I suspect but can’t prove decades of recoil contributed to this for me.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Building on GJM’s post, it is too easy to fail to really see you are doing damage until the damage is done and is difficult or impossible to fix. Other examples would include Rex G’s hands from shooting high caliber handguns, and my own knees from 30’years of running while failing to realize that my arches were collapsing, messing up the ability of my feet to properly do their job and support my knees.

Not saying not to do what you enjoy or not to take risks. Just be aware and proceed carefully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

While "because it is cool" is a good answer, I am struggling to see why I would choose a .460 S&W or .500 S&W instead of a .35 Remington Marlin 336 or .45-70 Marlin 1895. The latter have a benefit of being much less expensive and are well proven.
    Last edited by farscott; 09-27-2018 at 08:21 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    While "because it is cool" is a good answer, I am struggling to see why I would choose a .460 S&W or .500 S&W instead of a .35 Remington Marlin 336 or .45-70 Marlin 1895. The latter have a benefit of being much less expensive and well proven.
    Agree. Though, I could see a 460 if you already had a 45Colt or 454Casull as the non-brass components would be the same. While I haven't looked into it, I bet you could even load 460 using 45Colt dies (might not fully size the brass down to the bottom though). For similar reasons, I'd be inclined to try 445Supermag if I wanted more punch without buying more reloading gear and components.

Otherwise, yeah, a 45-70 would work just as well and you can buy ammo at WalMart if necessary.

Chris

Why can't I have a cool dentist that shoots?
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    What would a .460 S&W lever gun do that a .444 Marlin lever gun wouldn't?
    Share ammo with your backup pistol, duh
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Name:  meme.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  77.6 KB

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Well, that's why I have an 1894 and not a 444.

But even there, the best all-around bullet for the long gun is probably different than the best all-around bullet for the one with a spinny magazine.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 09-27-2018 at 09:28 AM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

https://www.magnumresearch.com/bfr-big-frame-revolver/
    Last edited by Bigghoss; 09-27-2018 at 10:19 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

User Tag List