Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .500 S&W lever-action rifle

.500 S&W lever-action rifle

If bigger is better......

I just saw an article in the fall 2018 issue of Outdoor Life about a lever-action rifle in .500 S&W. The author claims that it picks up 400 fps in the 18-inch barrel compared to the 10.5-inch revolver, based on his own chronograph tests.

http://www.bighornarmory.com/catalog...h-500-sandw-2/

That's a gorgeous rifle but I can't swing $2500. I'll have to settle for .45-70 if I need that kind of power.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Name:  BE0A6257-FDCB-42A1-8F17-D6CECB794F9B.jpeg
Views: 680
Size:  43.9 KB

Site Supporter
    My Henry lever action .44 Mag has hefty recoil with factory ammo. This lightweight rifle in 500 S&W would hurt. As already stated get a heavier 45-70.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    My Henry lever action .44 Mag has hefty recoil with factory ammo. This lightweight rifle in 500 S&W would hurt. As already stated get a heavier 45-70.
    The Big Horn Model 89 weights 7lbs 10oz. A Marlin 1895G (guide gun) weighs 7 lbs flat.

I’d use it. I like guns that beat the crap out of my shoulder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Looking at Sportsman's Warehouse, I see a listing of Marlin 45-70 rifles in a chart. One version weighs 7.5 lbs and two weigh 8 lbs, but most do weigh 7 lbs. Sherman, I owned a Win Model 70 in 458 Win Mag and would develop a headache after firing it 6 or 7 times with factory ammo.
    Recoil was bouncing my brain around inside my cranium. And I used to shoot a short barrel 10 ga pump shotgun with buckshot and slugs. All these were fun activties but not anymore.

If Henry makes one in single shot, I'll buy it.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    If Henry makes one in single shot, I'll buy it.
    No need to wait. This is right up your alley.

https://www.tcarms.com/firearms/inte...unter-katahdin
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    I suggest caution with guns that beat up one’s shoulder. I have read about detached retinas being more common in people who regularly shoot guns that beat up their shoulders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

User Tag List