Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
I'll readily admit that I have never heard of Bolt Thrust prior to this conversation. Thanks for the info. I'm still curious if there's any data or anecdotal examples of the lever actions having problems with the .500 cartridge. As far as I know, those aren't mass produced rifles but semi bespoke offerings from small custom shops. I'd suspect that the use of modern materials would help with strengthening the actions.

This is all speculation on my part of course.
To be honest, I don't know. We're speculating based on what has been observed with production guns. I suspect there aren't a lot of these guns out there and the ones that are in the wild don't get shot a lot, so there won't be many (any?) reports of premature wear or outright failure. Of course, upgraded materials may also mitigate the risk.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
Metallurgy to include proper heat treating criteria ideally would match or exceed requirements for rifles chambered for rounds with high bolt thrust. For example, some report that lower quality lever action Rossi(Taurus)1892 clones chambered for .454 Casull are made on a separate line using metallurgy to handle this round in an action not considered strong.
Entire possible this is the case. I don't know enough about gun engineering to know if a materials change will offset the physical design.

Chris