Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DA/SA or LEM/DAO, which is better for preventing NDs?

DA/SA or LEM/DAO, which is better for preventing NDs?

I know the best safety is the one between my ears, but we all make mistakes. Is a DA/SA less prone to NDs when holstering/unholstering, or is a DAO trigger like HK's LEM a safer? Why? Would appreciate everyone's feedback. Thank you!

DA/SA will be marginally safer than the LEM. A 10lb DA trigger weight is significantly more difficult to pull than a 6lb LEM trigger if we are talking about objects entering the trigger guard during reholstering. The DA/SA has a more distinct hammer than the LEM if you are relying on hammer movement to let you know that something is amiss.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Stupid question alert, but isn't the LEM also available on HK's striker guns? Are there any DA/SA guns with a concealed hammer that one couldn't put their thumb on?

Quote Originally Posted by beenalongtime View Post
    Stupid question alert, but isn't the LEM also available on HK's striker guns? Are there any DA/SA guns with a concealed hammer that one couldn't put their thumb on?
    No, LEM is not available on the VP guns.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    No, LEM is not available on the VP guns.
    Thank you (I think I was mixing up some models as some hammer appear bobbed by the photo's).

So either or even the C/D models of the Beretta's, shouldn't matter and just get into the thumb over the hammer habit.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HammerStriker View Post
    I know the best safety is the one between my ears, but we all make mistakes. Is a DA/SA less prone to NDs when holstering/unholstering, or is a DAO trigger like HK's LEM a safer? Why? Would appreciate everyone's feedback. Thank you!

I think they are close enough in first shot safety as not to matter. There are other items I would consider in regard to which is the overall best for safety and ability to shoot well.

Hopefully someone will link Dagga Boy's post about this.

I put a NY1 trigger in both my G17 and G26. It's not a DA press or an LEM, but it does add a little extra take up and makes the SCD even more positive in function. The reason I will not get a Gen 5 is I find the trigger a little too easy to manipulate and there is no NY1 option for the Gen 5.
    Last edited by TheNewbie; 09-24-2018 at 03:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    DA/SA will be marginally safer than the LEM. A 10lb DA trigger weight is significantly more difficult to pull than a 6lb LEM trigger if we are talking about objects entering the trigger guard during reholstering. The DA/SA has a more distinct hammer than the LEM if you are relying on hammer movement to let you know that something is amiss.
    I thought the FBI or sumbody did a study and determined that trigger travel, not trigger weight was more instrumental in reducing NDs, which is why LEM and DAK exist?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    I thought the FBI or sumbody did a study and determined that trigger travel, not trigger weight was more instrumental in reducing NDs, which is why LEM and DAK exist?
    I've heard that too. I think the DAK is a great trigger that should have been improved a bit and put into a polymer platform.

DA/SA requires more training, and commitment. With DA/SA, you have to remember to decock. Also, you need to prevent Hollywood wannabes from manually decocking their pistols, which has been cause for more than a few mishaps.

Any firearm with a longer trigger travel will help in reducing NDs. When it comes to holstering, a firearm with an exposed hammer can help make an ND almost impossible when the user rides the hammer with their thumb.

There’s a good argument that not needing to de-cock with a DAO/LEM provides less margin for error compared to TDA.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

User Tag List