Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HK VP40 Update

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    Man that's making me want to shoot mine. It's been a while. I almost took it yesterday, but shot my USP compact instead.
    Enablement is a major feature of this site...

Best, Jon

Sooo... in a moment of weakness I drooled just a bit too hard over an LE model VP-40 in Flat Dark Earth... not sure if I just made a mistake or it will be a happy accident. Either way, this puppy is heading my way... what do you guys think who have used these extensively? I am no stranger to .40, have P30L and USP Full Size so no worries there.

Quote Originally Posted by Thy.Will.Be.Done View Post
    Sooo... in a moment of weakness I drooled just a bit too hard over an LE model VP-40 in Flat Dark Earth... not sure if I just made a mistake or it will be a happy accident. Either way, this puppy is heading my way... what do you guys think who have used these extensively? I am no stranger to .40, have P30L and USP Full Size so no worries there.
    I think it's a damn good gun. If it had a gadget I'd very possibly be using mine as an EDC

In my experience, they're pretty bulletproof, unless the previous owner dinked around and did a detailed disassembly; then there's a possibility that the eccentrically shaped (and secured) HK braided trigger return spring was separated from its attachment point(s) and not properly re-secured.

Unless you know the at least approximate roudcount, I'd immediately replace the recoil spring assembly and all magazine springs; probably overkill, but pretty inexpensive and prudent, in my opinion. There is a possibility that the RSA in it is the older (weaker) red-colored OEM one, the current one (silver) is the same used with the VP40.

You could have it sent to HK Customer Service to have them go through it, which might not be the worst of ideas either, but I don't know what they'd charge.

Best, Jon

It is brand new, so no worries there... the only worry is I will like it and have to get rid of something else to warrant keeping it!

In that case, no problems. Despite a slightly deeper receiver tang, I still use the same backstrap and side panel setup as on my P30L, so whatever yours is you might want to start with that as your initial setup. And your magazines will interchange with you P30L too-Score! And personally, I'm quite satisfied with the OEM tritium Meprolight sights that come with the LE variants, for both day and low-light use.

Images on arrival, or it didn't happen...

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    I think it's a damn good gun. If it had a gadget I'd very possibly be using mine as an EDC
    My concern for a VP for EDC would pretty much be limited to if I used appendix carry (which I personally don't). Otherwise, I'm good with it, obviously with prudent gunhandling and holstering skills and practice with the specific weapon. Unlike the P30, the Picatinney rail that protrudes past the muzzle can induce re-holstering stumbles; I've found it highly beneficial to use holsters with a slightly splayed mouth lips and a full sweatshield (on both OWB and IWB holsters) (which acts as a sort of guiding skid when holstering).

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    My concern for a VP for EDC would pretty much be limited to if I used appendix carry (which I personally don't). Otherwise, I'm good with it, obviously with prudent gunhandling and holstering skills and practice with the specific weapon. Unlike the P30, the Picatinney rail that protrudes past the muzzle can induce re-holstering stumbles; I've found it highly beneficial to use holsters with a slightly splayed mouth lips and a full sweatshield (on both OWB and IWB holsters) (which acts as a sort of guiding skid when holstering).

Best, Jon
    Exactly. I do carry appendix, otherwise like you, I'd be satisfied well enough to carry it, if I was able to conceal it non-AIWB, which I've never had any luck with guns of that size.

I have owned a VP9 so I'm familiar with the platform, that being said the trigger scared the living hell out of me as a carry gun. Back then, a couple years ago, I was pretty much AIWB or nothing... but I've since been using strong side more often and in this role I feel a lot more comfortable carrying that type of trigger. Just not sure though how comfortable I feel with IWB at 3:30 though, I mean it is my understanding that most of the risk would be upon holstering rather than presenting right?

Quote Originally Posted by Thy.Will.Be.Done View Post
    I have owned a VP9 so I'm familiar with the platform, that being said the trigger scared the living hell out of me as a carry gun. Back then, a couple years ago, I was pretty much AIWB or nothing... but I've since been using strong side more often and in this role I feel a lot more comfortable carrying that type of trigger. Just not sure though how comfortable I feel with IWB at 3:30 though, I mean it is my understanding that most of the risk would be upon holstering rather than presenting right?
    I would say so, if you've got trigger finger discipline. But that being said, I have a harder time looking a gun into a holster strong side than I do AIWB.

User Tag List