Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HK VP40 Update

HK VP40 Update

After spending the majority of 2017/2018 to date with my HK P30L with V1 Light LEM and my upgraded Beretta 92D DAO, this month I campaigned my Gen4 G22 and HK VP40 in IDPA matches. I performed adequately with the Gen4 G22, but had one of, if not the best personal IDPA match performance of 2018 with the VP40 yesterday.

The heavy-slided VP40 does a superb job of taming the .40, and the gun just flat-out balances beautifully, which pays some huge benefits particularly in strong- hand and weak-hand shooting. The deeper-than-P30 tang helps here too, as does empirically sorting out the best backstrap and side panel configurations for you as an individual.

Mine has the Meprolight tritium sights, which give a very usable day and night sight picture, particularly given the decent amount of light bars between front and rear sights when aligned. Ergonomically, the VP provides for an exceptional natural index and control throughout the shooting process. The "comma/dot" stippling pattern on the grip area seems to provide a more than adequate gripping surface, despite the slightly grippier "sandpaper" texture on the P30's grip areas; the VP pattern is less "grabby" on garments as well; I like both textures, but particularly for concealed carry the VP texture is slightly preferable to me.

What don't I like?

Well, the HK trigger break is perceptually softer than that of a Glock, and the reset is a bit longer. The shorter triggerpull distance combined with the soft break characteristics has me very carefully assessing the VP as a duty/threat management pistol; it's clearly eminently shootable, but I'm still a bit wary for duty use. I may try to contact the Phenix City, Alabama PD, who actually issue the VP40 and see what their experience and feedback has been, as they've had it as duty-issue for over a year at this point.

The VP lower is particularly complex, especially compared to a Glock; there are some 63 individual components that comprise the VP, compared to some 52 for the hammer-fired P30 and around 34 for a Glock. HKs in general, and the VP specifically are exceptionally well architected and manufactured, with high-quality components, but that's a lot of working parts for a SFA pistol. Other than field-stripping, and possibly disassembling the slide, for me, it'll be an HK Armorer kind of scenario for anything involving a more detailed disassembly. I'm particularly not thrilled with the trigger return spring's location and attachment, it seems vulnerable to being dislodged if you're not careful when brushing out GSR from the frame area where its located, but personally and anecdotally I haven't experienced or heard of any actual incidents of the gun being deadlined because of it (from sloppy detailed frame disasssembly/reassembly and inattention to detail in precluding it being separated from the triggerbar, yes, but from merely cleaning, no). So I'm probably needless obsessing a bit regarding it operationally.

I also wish that the Picatanny rail's forward lip did not extend beyond the muzzle line profile the way it does; it can induce re-holstering stumbles with the lip catching on the holster edges, but with my Olen holsters with their mouth profile and extended sweat guard successfully acting as a sort of re-holstering skid I've surmounted this speedbump.

A minor irritant is that to successfully separate the slide from the receiver when field-stripping, you need to concurrently push down on the slide when moving it forward off the frame after actuating the take-down lever, but in reality after you've done it successfully and remember to do it it's not a big deal.

So-another great pistol. I plan on running it in next month's IDPA match(es) to confirm my results, and then carefully assess it for suitability as a duty pistol. It is just flat-out fun to shoot, an attribute I rarely accord to a .40 pistol. I also like its user-friendly ergos, not just for myself, but also potentially for my wife, in the event that I need to hand the pistol over to her, particularly while hiking; I like the .40 as a viable wilderness defensive cartridge, as we've discussed in particular detail here on p-f (thanks, GJM).

In the past year, use-wise my VP40 took a distant second-seat to my P30L; that may change...

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 09-23-2018 at 05:57 PM.

Hammertime
    The VP9 I had was great shooting, but the grip was just enough more rectangular in the rear compared to a P30 to really irritate my thumb MP joint. I was shocked because the difference is pretty minimal.

My VP40 is quite easy to shoot and I'm fond of it. If I wasn't switching to hammer fired defense guns I'd shoot it a lot more. Every time I think of trading it out for another hammer gun... I just can't do it. Pretty sure I'll have it for a long while even though it won't get heavy use.

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    The VP9 I had was great shooting, but the grip was just enough more rectangular in the rear compared to a P30 to really irritate my thumb MP joint. I was shocked because the difference is pretty minimal.
    The VP40's deeper tang for me evens things out, and I think it may provide for slightly more control.

It'll be interesting to shoot them both in the same session to establish a comparison.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 09-23-2018 at 10:13 PM.

Were you using factory .40 ammo?

When I was going through my HK phase, I went from a P30L to a VP9, very briefly. I felt the VP9 kicked worse than the P30L, and didn’t like the placement of the slide release (I have the shorter release on my P30).

Good to hear the VP40 is working out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Were you using factory .40 ammo?

When I was going through my HK phase, I went from a P30L to a VP9, very briefly. I felt the VP9 kicked worse than the P30L, and didn’t like the placement of the slide release (I have the shorter release on my P30).

Good to hear the VP40 is working out for you.
    I only shoot factory ammunition in all of my guns. With the VP40 at the match, I preponderantly shot Sellier & Bellot 180 gr FMJ, but also some Blazer Brass 165 gr. Zero issues with either, and while I haven't chrono'ed with either, the S&B has a reputation of being on the warm-ish side.

The P slide release shelf is not as protrusive or as extended as the P30's, and initially was a cause of some concern on my part, as I normally use the slide stop/release as a slide release when reloading from slidelock, but in reality the part has caused no issues when utilized as a slide release-it's just large enough. It's a stamped component, and does look "cheap" compared to the P30's more massive release, but that's an aesthetic, not an operational concern, it's perfectly viable (from both sides) in actual use.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 09-24-2018 at 07:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    I only shoot factory ammunition in all of my guns. With the VP40 at the match, I preponderantly shot Sellier & Bellot 180 gr FMJ, but also some Blazer Brass 165 gr. Zero issues with either, and while I haven't chrono'ed with either, the S&B has a reputation of being on the warm-ish side.

The P slide release shelf is not as protrusive or as extended as the P30's, and initially was a cause of some concern on my part, as I normally use the slide stop/release as a slide release when reloading from slidelock, but in reality the part has caused no issues when utilized as a slide release-it's just large enough. It's a stamped component, and does look "cheap" compared to the P30's more massive release, but that's an aesthetic, not an operational concern, it's perfectly viable (from both sides) in actual use.

Best, Jon
    Very cool shooting full power loads in IDPA. Hats off to you.

I should have mentioned, I replaced the slide stop on my P30L with that of a P30S. The "safety" model has a shorter slide stop, very similar to that of a 1911. Even with the factory slide stop, I tended to have less issues than I did with my VP9, but the shorter slide stop ensured no failures to lock back due to inadvertently riding it.

Thanks for the write up, Jon. I wonder how you would do with a 9mm VP instead of .40? We used to think nothing of shooting .38 wadcutters for practice/qualification and switch to more powerful rounds for duty.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Duffy View Post
    Thanks for the write up, Jon. I wonder how you would do with a 9mm VP instead of .40? We used to think nothing of shooting .38 wadcutters for practice/qualification and switch to more powerful rounds for duty.
    Tom, I suspect I be a bit faster with the 9mm VP9. Even with the heavier slide of the VP40, from another test that I read where the writer had a VP9 and then tested the VP40, she found the VP40 to be a bit more effort to shoot fast and accurately, where the 9mm VP9 was a significantly more effortless proposition. Here's the review (which I thought was objective and pretty well written):
    https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...eview-hk-vp40/

That said, I'm pretty committed to the VP40, and haven't come up with a truly compelling reason to concurrently purchase a VP9 (unless it was something my wife wanted). The VP40 nicely tames the .40, and I like the combination of the VP40 and the .40 cartridge for hiking (as well as for urban defensive needs). For more serious wilderness trips, I would go the Glock route, either with my Glock Gen4 G22 in .40 or my G21 in .45 ACP, if only because the Glocks are significantly easier to do a detailed disassembly if ever needed in the field (e.g., if the entire gun was ever immersed in mud or water and the internal components needed to be cleaned and dried).

While I've never actually NEEDED to do such a detailed disassembly in the field, Mr. Murphy's head tends to pop up when you are far away from a clean workstation and/or higher echelon support....

Best, Jon

A minor thing that bugs me about the VP series is I'm truly scratching my head as to why HK decided to name the series "VP" for the US market, and "SFP" in Germany. The most frequent answer that I've seen is that "VP" stands for "Volks Pistole," or "People's Pistol," or "Value Pistol" conjuring up the images of desperately cobbled-up, last-ditch dirt cheap and easy to manufacture German pistols of questionable functionality, durability and reliability produced in the last gasps of the Third Reich. It's almost as if HK is disdainfully turning up their noses at the stench of having to make a pistol if not specifically aimed for, at least market-priced in competition with what they perceive to be mass-market pistols for the lowly plebeian masses-i.e., those whiny Americans bubbas (ok, Hans, will give 'em what they want and price it accordingly so they'll buy it to go with their jacked-up pickup trucks for the mud races, but we'll name it so the TRUE HK cognoscenti will know that it's our other pistols that have The Moral High Ground). (But for other TRUE HK users that we're marketing to and hope to win contracts from we'll give it a much more professional name-the SFP, or Striker-Fired Pistol...) A small part of me really wishes that HK had just named the darn things "SFP 9" or "SFP 40" and called it good....

Ironically, my understanding is that the VP9 slides are a bit heavier and more durable than the SFP slides, as those foolish Amerikiners are more predisposed to firing +P cartridges...

I'm not sure if the VP40 is significantly marketed anywhere else but for the US market, but it is on HK's German/European website as the "SFP40."

Ok, rant off. HK loves us, and we don't suck.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 09-24-2018 at 12:14 PM.

User Tag List