Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HEY! OLD GUYS! (and gals!)

I'd visit an ophthalmologist just to rule out something serious but unlikely like glaucoma. That said, presbyopia is the hands down most likely thing. I think almost everyone gets it eventually.

I'm not sure what kind of shooting you're talking about. For e.g. Bullseye AKA Precision Pistol, people just use red dots, usually the tube type like ultradots. They work every bit as well as iron sights, and the geezers can stay competitive until, eventually, their hands get shaky. That's usually looong after the eyes go. I expect hunting would work the same.

For defensive type shooting, I dunno. The micro red dots solve the presbyopia problem, but come with their own problems. Different sights might help, e.g. I found that XS Big Dots helped over conventional irons, but unfortunately it keeps getting worse; now I can't really see them very well either :-(. But it's worth trying some different ones - fiber optics help some in bright light (and in low light Lasergrips etc work well, with the usual caveats).

The bottom line is that I now put dots or scopes on all my rifles, and my defensive pistol accuracy just isn't as good as it once was. If it's any consolation, if you have the other basics - grip, trigger control, ... -down, you can still probably shoot a lot better than most folks even when the sights are fuzzy.

And to answer the question you actually asked :-), I don't think there are any exercises or whatever you can do, alas.

Site Supporter
    When at a retailer selling reading glasses, experiment with 1 and the next fractional power. You may discover that this new difference permits
    seeing the sights more clearly. Finding an optomerist willing to spend time with you will be easier than using an opthalmologist whose interest is surgery. Internet research can reveal more about can be done. If you hit a snag in your research, pm me. I'll be 71 in Jan and can still see handgun sights--but only because of optical assistance.

I'm dealing with much the same situation. Going to try the HiViz H3 tritium/lightpipes. For the work gun it's either those or the factory Glock night sights and the front sight on the factory sights is pretty much worthless at this point.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

I just went with green lasers for both of my primary carry guns, the Sig P365 and the Beretta Px4.

I’m 64 years young and have been having difficulty seeing the front sight clearly. I bought a new G23 and put Trijicon HD’s in it with an orange front sight. Than added a Crimson Trace green laser grip. It helps. But I still will have to get glasses again. Had LASIK in 2000 but my eyes are aging.

RDS in conjunction with BIS and a green laser is likely the way to go for aging eyes....
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Will be 66 in a few Months.
    Started taking Chlorella ….. Hawthorn Berries and L-arginine.
    Chlorella rich in Lutein, a powerful antioxidant known to be highly beneficial for the eyes.*
    Lifted weights for almost 40 years ..I feel great my strength levels are better than most 30 year old males.

25 yards indoors ….. very bad lighting.
    Pistol Stock HK45c
    First Round DA 8" Center Target...... Second round SA 4" top Target

Did it 3 Times
    Name:  20180912_164203.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  46.3 KB

10 Rounds slow fire 25 Yards same Pistol

Name:  20180820_161303.jpg
Size:  27.6 KB Name:  0820181330.jpg
Size:  57.2 KB
    Last edited by Robert Mitchum; 09-23-2018 at 05:41 PM.

Just turned 56, and still trying to come to terms with no longer having 20/15 vision. One way I’ve adapted is by going with a very prominent front and a plain rear. The Ameriglo Hacks work well for me at this point for smaller defensive guns, I can let the front blur out but still pick it up due to the bright orange.

For target, I’ve found the longer sight radius of the G34 and G41 are easier to shoot for accuracy. I suspect that will change as my eyes continue to go to shit.

User Tag List