Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: “Starter” AIWB rig?

I would suggest if you are serious about aiwb you start out with a purpose built holster. It will cost more but yield better results, more comfort, better concealment etc. If you want a clip model I would highly suggest the clip Dark Star Gear offers. I messed around with that clip the first day I got it by not wearing a belt and just clipping it on my jeans. Not only did it not pop off after multiple draws but I actually had to undo my jeans to get it off the first time lol. I've either broken or had plastic clips pop off of my belt. I don't find the wide fomi style clips to be comfortable either. Short barrels don't work well for me either so I would go with a long holster for sure.

JM Custom Kydex or Dark Star Gear would be the two makers I would suggest first. With pistols longer usually stabilizes better than shorter. With revolvers I haven’t noticed the same issue. That’s probably a weight distribution thing with the wheelgun. Speaking of which a snubby is probably the easiest intro to AIWB.

JMCK & DSG are both fabulous to work with. Both have done specialty rigs for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

I’m 5’6” and 205# ish. Maybe a bit more. Definitely rotund. I keep coming back to the RCS Eidilon as my go to. Works with my G19+RMR and my 19X. Below 200# the JMC 2.5 works well too. For me a stiff belt with the belly no workie. When I was down around 185# the stiffer belts worked well. Not now.

Great info, everyone!

I will echo the others. Dark Star Gear, JM, Tennicor, CCC all make excellent high quality kydex AIWB holsters. Everyone has a preference of what works best for them.

Also don’t forget JRC leather for excellent high quality leather AIWB

I just ordered a JMCK 2.5 long with fixed soft loops for my 43. Let’s see how this goes!

I would think a big guy like you, with a quality belt and holster could easily carry something bigger than a 43.

Starting simple with the one that I carry most of the time. I have some body shape oddities.

Hi Risk Customer Services
    I see you share my Ogre like qualities. I am 6' 3" tall and 275 Lbs. and yes my brother, AIWB is possible.

I have found that foam wedges and tuck wings are often not necessary even with a full size gripped gun, for larger framed individuals. I have tried multiple variations of AIWB holsters from all of the manufacturers mentioned here. My go-to that I seem to always fall back upon is an original JMCK (Version 1) AIWB holster with full size sweat guard, extra tuck, and your preference of belt loop. I use this holster with a Glock 17, 19, 19X and can conceal any of these pistols easily with no special garment requirements. I have always liked 1.75" soft loops because they allow a little bit of flexibility so you can slightly reverse cant the pistol while on the waistband. A foam pad helps with all day comfort. This holster is also reasonably priced and available as a Quick Ship item.

I recently got a Glock 34 length Rigel from Dark Star Gear. This holster is intended for a full size Glock with a Surefire X300U attached. This holster conceals comfortably for me as well without a wedge, mainly due to its long and wide footprint, but I will likely add a flat sponge pad to it.

I have yet to find an application where I really benefit from a holster with a large foam wedge. I have experimented with these type of holsters on Glock 17's, CZ P-09's, and Beretta 92's and always end up going back to a non-wedged holster.

Keepers Concealment rigs work well for big guys(Spencer is a pretty decent sized dude), and are very comfortable.

Spencer is kind of an AIWB guru...

Gabe White made USPSA Limited Minor Master using his.

User Tag List