Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: “Starter” AIWB rig?

“Starter” AIWB rig?

I’ve always been a little leery of AIWB for two reasons - junk preservation while reholstering and body shape. I’m 6’1” and 280. I’ve been carrying IWB at 3:00 for years, but I like the greater concealability AIWB seems to offer.

Gadgets for my carry Glocks have resolved the first concern, and experimenting with my existing holsters worn up front makes me think the second isn’t such a big deal after all.

What are some recommended “starter” rigs for the gravitationally challenged newb? I’ll probably try this with my 43 and a spare mag, and if it works out I’ll try it for my 26/33 and maybe even my 41 and 34.

Most quality AIWB rigs are priced accordingly, and I’d prefer not adding to the big box of unused holsters if possible.

“Starter” AIWB rig?

I’d give a Tenicor VELO a try if I were you. I haven’t had one of their holsters, but if I hadn’t just bought an appendix rig from Mike at Last Line of Defense to test out, I would be trying one. They look very well designed and are reasonably priced. I think they also have a pretty great return policy if it doesn’t work out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by leathermaneod; 09-22-2018 at 08:25 PM.

I've used a Blackhawk ARC for a J frame for a couple of years now with total satisfaction.

It's even ambi which came in handy recently when I got a banged up hip.

Twenty-ish on Amazon.

Site Supporter
    I'd get a DSG Orion or a JMCK 2.5.

A well known holster may be more pricey, but will be easy to flip. I purchased a JMCK to try AIWB, figuring I could easily sell it if I didn’t like it... turns out I loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    I've used a Blackhawk ARC for a J frame for a couple of years now with total satisfaction.

It's even ambi which came in handy recently when I got a banged up hip.

Twenty-ish on Amazon.
    Interesting - I didn’t see that one coming. It might be a cheap way of seeing if I can tolerate AIWB.

I carry a G19 in a Bladetech KLIPT. The ride height is perfect for sitting comfortably. I started with a cheaper holster just to try carrying AIWB. Three years later and I’m still using it everyday. I love the belt clip. It’s the easiest rig to “mount up” That I have used.

Be careful of thinking "starter" AIWB. The problem is to be comfortable with AIWB you need to get a holster properly designed and executed for AIWB which means a holster from one of the custom makers specializing in AIWB. Otherwise you are just wasting your money and you will never be able to answer whether or not AIWB is good for you. I will tell you that I am 6'4" and 300 lbs and I comfortably carry AIWB using a JM 2.5 AIWB. The trick is for us larger guys you will need a longer holster. I use a holster for glock 34 to carry my glock 19. The shorter holsters poke and prod where the shouldn't. The longer holsters clear "the bumps" and set flat and our very comfortable. The other addition I added was a larger wedge made out of a yoga block. The JM wedge just isn't firm enough or big enough. There is a YouTube video from "The Modern Samari" and he covers this topic. His findings are the same as mine. Good luck in your search.

p.s. I learned the yoga mat wedge trick from that video.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Here is the link to the video I mentioned above.

https://youtu.be/E4HD4J37u6I

Quote Originally Posted by jamautry View Post
    Be careful of thinking "starter" AIWB. The problem is to be comfortable with AIWB you need to get a holster properly designed and executed for AIWB which means a holster from one of the custom makers specializing in AIWB. Otherwise you are just wasting your money and you will never be able to answer whether or not AIWB is good for you. I will tell you that I am 6'4" and 300 lbs and I comfortably carry AIWB using a JM 2.5 AIWB. The trick is for us larger guys you will need a longer holster. I use a holster for glock 34 to carry my glock 19. The shorter holsters poke and prod where the shouldn't. The longer holsters clear "the bumps" and set flat and our very comfortable. The other addition I added was a larger wedge made out of a yoga block. The JM wedge just isn't firm enough or big enough. There is a YouTube video from "The Modern Samari" and he covers this topic. His findings are the same as mine. Good luck in your search.

p.s. I learned the yoga mat wedge trick from that video.

I was looking at the JM “long” holsters for the 43 before I posted this. I’m having a heck of a time figuring out the difference between the 2.0 and 2.5 models, though.

User Tag List