Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: A "hand rifle" for an SRO

Just my $.02. for my eyes, retirement physical health and typical local schools. Obviously your's may be different. Eyesight for specialty work often calls for special gear. RDS? Maybe. But not for me. I would personally go with work bifocals with the readers up top at about 12-14mm tall.

I figure I could gain/keep more of my skill if I concentrated on just one platform. For me that would be a pistol and not a pistol/rifle. See below.

I could run to my rifle in the car and then run to the problem. But I figure I would just run to my problem, skipping the rifle in the car. Less people shot.

While there are certainly some long shots to be had at schools. Classrooms, dark hallways, looked at with old eyes and all those kids, teachers, etc I figure the job will require running to the problem more than shooting it from afar.

So for me (just maybe for you?) I figure a new set of glasses that have mid height vs top attach ear stems. Squeeze in the top bifocals. I figure starting and continuing to work more distance into the weekly shooting working up to 50 yards in the first 6mos/year. I figure adding/staying/getting into shape to run. Adding in running and shooting to the weekly training.

For me that would be the easiest, keep it simple routine.

ETA: If you've been shooting Glock for so long, concentrating on that would also probably gain you a faster improvement in distance shooting. Or at least that is where I would start. You can always change that later. But again I'm of the opinion that distance is important but not the most important.
    Last edited by JustOneGun; 09-22-2018 at 07:14 PM.
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

HCM: fantastic shooting. I've watched this concept since you debuted it on P&S. A red dot is very prominent in my thinking for this piece.

RevolverRob: yeah, I've been shooting the crap out of the Test all year. A B8 and Langdon's targets are my goto.

JustOneGun: I got fitted for new peeps yesterday. I emphasized the focal point for shooting.

Bill Nesbitt: Sure, I almost always Shoot 100. The lowest score I ever shot was an 82. Ever.Once.

But, it's just the old minimum standards course, 25 yards and in. So nothing to brag on. Our training is non-existent. Just Qual and a couple of combat courses and a Sim drill twice a year.

Balisong: Precisely.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    Sage Dynamics should be another good RDS specific training option. He seems to run a lot of classes in FL/GA/AL region.
    Agreed.

I second the recommendation of a G19X milled for a red dot. You can get an RMR 2 right now or wait a little bit for the Aimpoint ACRO. You get a platform you’re already very comfortable and experienced with, the inherent accuracy of the Gen 5 guns, the best trigger Glock ever released consistently and the advantages of a red dot for fast precision shots.

Have you considered an AR pistol with a LAW Tactical folding adapter kept in a backpack? If you’re willing to wear the backpack whenever you’re not in your office, you’ll always have a rifle with you.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    I’d have to work from low ready - now compatible with my various holsters.
    Works with any light bearing holster. If the OP doesn’t have one already a basic ALS light bearing holster like a 7TS is like $50.

They are great for solo work and remedial because you can do both dry practice and live fire and compare the two.

If using it to coach someone else you need to stay close to them and keep light of sight or the blue tooth signal will be blocked by the shooters body.

A lot of folks, including me, have posted about Glock accuracy in this thread: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....evisited/page4

Post #37 stands out in my mind.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    HCM: fantastic shooting. I've watched this concept since you debuted it on P&S. A red dot is very prominent in my thinking for this piece.

RevolverRob: yeah, I've been shooting the crap out of the Test all year. A B8 and Langdon's targets are my goto.

JustOneGun: I got fitted for new peeps yesterday. I emphasized the focal point for shooting.

Bill Nesbitt: Sure, I almost always Shoot 100. The lowest score I ever shot was an 82. Ever.Once.

But, it's just the old minimum standards course, 25 yards and in. So nothing to brag on. Our training is non-existent. Just Qual and a couple of combat courses and a Sim drill twice a year.

Balisong: Precisely.
    That video is NOT me . That is Scott Jedlinski of Modern Samurai. As I noted earlier he is on here as AsianJedi.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Fisher
    Let me give you the rds short version

You quick zero at 10 confirm at 25 Yards. All windage and elevation
    On a no shit zero
    Target

Rds is slow it’s slow because you presentation sucks and your grip and you focus on the dot the target

The dot moves too much. So does your front sight you just don’t see it as much since it’s not projected

I can’t find the dot
    Again your presentation sucks and grip and turtled Head position
    And locked arms

But when i shoot one handed moving. Left or right
    No kidding use the wings of the Rmr

No dot shoot the window

Ugh window is broken or fouled

Shoot the notch on top of the sight housing

And or paint it to pick it up for close range shooting

Stop the gun sooner on the presentation stop locking out elbows

You Pick up up the dot faster and shoot it sooner that way

Focus on target lift or scoop pistol to eyes while looking at target
    Poof look a dot in th window right were you are looking

Wait amazing the same exact shit as the bunpy things on top your slide now

That will be 500 dollars please
    Source: https://www.facebook.com/groups/PSPr...22R%2310%22%7D

I personally remain unconvinced that an RDS specific class is needed, though the caveat to that is that I've never taken one, either. This is not to say that the RDS-specific classes are bad, I'm sure you can learn much from most of the instructors that offer such classes, I just don't think that RDSes are necessarily different enough from irons to warrant a class specific to them, rather than just taking any reputable instructor's pistol course.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 09-23-2018 at 01:37 AM.

HCM:Oops!

Okie John: That was an extremely useful post.

Site Supporter
    Suarez' blog has lots of articles on active shooter stuff, and info on accurizing glocks to the task. Everything from Suarez stamped Roland Special types to PDWs with an arm brace, to match grade barrels and FCGs. I am partial to his flat trigger, milled striker, and NP3 finished internals. He will also sell you everything you want to put in or hang off your pistol. I don't agree with everything he says, but my duty piece is a gen 4 MOS with RMR, with Suarez internals. Thinking seriously about a match grade barrel and slide. For the fun of it in the next couple of years I will be building a Roland Special. Chuck wouldn't know me from Adam, but we have exchanged emails and board post on lightfighter and others for the last 18 years or so, and I kinda want, moreso since I found out that he and Jon were involved in hatching it.

pat

User Tag List