Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: A "hand rifle" for an SRO

While optimizing your handgun seems like a great idea, optimizing the storage location of your rifle seems like an even better idea.

How big is the school?
    My comments have not been approved by my employer and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer. These are my comments, not my employer's.

I’m guessing you are going to get the most bang for your buck (time and $) working on the software problem.

I have some other suggestions - care kit for tomorrow below.

Also, I’ll suggest a class with Ben Stoeger - I’m hosting him in AL 11/3-4, and 11/5-6: https://tinyurl.com/StoegerBGTC2018
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    To each their own, but I’ve always found most incarnations of the Roland Special to be gimmicky.
    The real anaswer for SRO duties is an M4 with an optic but this isn’t Israel and carrying an M4 at all times ain’t gonna happen. Handguns are it.

The OP will need a handgun which is both accurate and precise. They aren’t the same thing.

Name:  A0F22215-34A4-4584-9FDE-218290DED624.jpeg
Views: 606
Size:  46.1 KB

The Roland’s have two primary niches -

1) quicker shots with a high degree of accuracy and precision
    2) use under night vision.

If those don’t apply to you - then no need for a Roland special . But there is a thought process behind them.

2) isn’t a factor here but 1) certainly is.

Like a lot of things The Roland came out of guys messing around with various enhancements to meet their own requirements.

First step was KKM match barrels - These gave accuracy but they usually change POI. That lead to Dawson adjustable sights. These were best known as the “Tigerswan” Guns.

The RDS followed as a replacement for the Dawson’s. That lead to the “Comp.” Though 9mm recoil isn’t significant the Comp knocks muzzle rise down enough to aid in tracking the dot.

I put Comp in quotes because most of the so called Glock comps, including the KKM are actually muzzle-breaks.

Call it a gimmick all you want but the timer and target don’t lie. They aren’t a replacement for skill but they are an enhancement.

The essential elements of a RS are:

RDS
    Match barrel with “Comp”

Nice to have are:

Front cocking serrations (due to the RDS)
    Grip enhancements

Most anything else is fluff.

If the balloon goes up, the OP’s duties may include:

1) high accuracy requirements due to multiple innocents.
    2) the need for rapid follow up shots due to either multiple attackers, attackers with body armor or simply the fact that realistically, the OP will have to solve his problem with a pistol.
    3) the likleyhood shots greater than 25 yards with a pistol. The average supermarket aisle in America is 27.5 yards long - you could easily have a 50 yard or greater shot in or around a school.

Given those requirements two things make an RDS a logical choice:

1) no one’s eyes are getting younger
    2) even with good eyesight RDS makes shooting at pistols at longer distances easier.
    Last edited by HCM; 09-22-2018 at 05:34 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    I’m guessing you are going to get the most bang for your buck (time and $) working on the software problem.

I have some other suggestions - care kit for tomorrow below.

Also, I’ll suggest a class with Ben Stoeger - I’m hosting him in AL 11/3-4, and 11/5-6: https://tinyurl.com/StoegerBGTC2018
    Speaking of software weve seen good results with the Mantis X.

https://www.gtdist.com/mantis-x-training-system.html
    Last edited by HCM; 09-22-2018 at 05:36 PM.

Where we see the red dot fail is at super fast, super close shots. Which - is what the green laser is for. To aid dot acquisition at speed (or as a backup if the sight dies). Placed in this scenario - I would focus on high speed, high accuracy with the most mechanically precise gun you can get your hands on. Period.

I’d probably stop shooting at anything larger than a B8 or an obscured B8. Or a 3x5” note card cut to 1.5”x5” (occular window stand in).

And I’d practice until I couldn’t miss from 5” to 50-yards.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Where we see the red dot fail is at super fast, super close shots.
    Not exactly. There is a learning curve but it can be overcome.

feudist, Is your Glock holding you back? Can you clean your department qualification course? Could you clean it with all head shots or at half the time? You might be required to make precise shots at speed. Have you shot other pistols already and what do you like best? Can you see your sights OK?

Given your requirements, likely usage scenario, and history with Glocks, it seems to me it's a no brainer to go with a 19x milled for your RDS of choice. The new aimpoint seems like a good choice for non-concealed needs like yours, but of course I don't think it's out just yet. And as others have stated, practice practice practice. You'll be dealing with much higher stakes on a daily basis than most of us see.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    To take advantage of the RDS you should invest in some RDS specific training. Scott Jedlinski “Asian Jedi” here on PF comes to mind but there are others.

https://modern-samurai-project.myshopify.com

Failing that some additional training with your RDS pistol. Chase Jenkins of Talon Defense and Frank Proctor are both based in AL.
    Sage Dynamics should be another good RDS specific training option. He seems to run a lot of classes in FL/GA/AL region.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Speaking of software weve seen good results with the Mantis X.

https://www.gtdist.com/mantis-x-training-system.html
    I’d have to work from low ready - now compatible with my various holsters.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

User Tag List