Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: A "hand rifle" for an SRO

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    High percentage “no fail” shots are one of the niches for the “Roland Special.”
    Exactly. Except on duty in uniform I’d want a full frame grip. My dream retirement job is SRO. Hang out in the A/C all day waiting for some schmuck to try killing kids and then burn him down.

ETA: to be completely honest I would prefer a suppressor as my “comp” but that would be a pain to carry and scare all the snowflakes.
    Last edited by El Cid; 09-22-2018 at 04:06 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Exactly. Except on duty in uniform I’d want a full frame grip. My dream retirement job is SRO. Hang out in the A/C all day waiting for some schmuck to try killing kids and then burn him down.
    I would prefer a 19x version myself.

Of course some people like carnival freaks and POTUS have small hands so YMMV.

Drop me a line - I just got back from solo training at BGTC and was running USPSA shoot-on-the-move drills with USPSA Production gear, then swapping to concealment and shooting the Gabe White Standards (goal: Turbo Pin times), FAST drill (goal < 5.0s clean), 10 yard (goal < 3.0s) and 25 yard 6x8” plate racks.

Fair warning - I’m a high-volume shooter. I’ll probably head out there again tomorrow.

I’m not sure we are calibrated the same way practice-wise, but I’d be happy to give you a hand if you are available and interested.
    Last edited by GuanoLoco; 09-22-2018 at 04:34 PM.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

RDS on a G34/35 or 1911.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    High percentage “no fail” shots are one of the niches for the “Roland Special.”
    To each their own, but I’ve always found most incarnations of the Roland Special to be gimmicky.

Gen 5 17 or 19 + ATOM Unity mount + RMR Type 2 + Streamlight TLR-2 (Green dot) + Federal HST + Safariland Holster

And 10,000 rounds of Lawman or American Eagle in whatever bullet weight for pick for HST and then 2-3 MRDS specific classes. Shoot carry optics from duty gear every week.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    To each their own, but I’ve always found most incarnations of the Roland Special to be gimmicky.
    Can you elaborate? I ask because some of our nations finest use them to shoot evil people quite successfully.
    Last edited by El Cid; 09-22-2018 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by opmike View Post
    So, you barely made it into B class nearly 18 years ago? What's your current training regimen like or what is your plan to improve on this moving forward?

Nearly every service pistol on the market today will meet the accuracy requirement of your job. You have the most experience shooting Glocks. Do you feel like you're being hampered by your current platform in some way? Would time spent learning a new platform be better time spent furthering your development with what you're already familiar with?

What other handguns do you have experience with and what did you think of them? Do you have a preference for Striker over DA/SA? For you, would the time spent learning a new trigger system be better than time spent improving with your current gear? This talk about hand rifles and thumb-cocking revolvers has me wondering if you should restructure your priorities a bit, here.
    The revolver thing was a bit of a joke-"ideas out of the box"-if you will.

I shoot around 150 rounds a week consistently. Absolutely I need higher quality practice, and now with weekends off(finally) I'll be hitting some local matches.

I've fired a lot of different guns, but I've concentrated on the Glock because I adopted it early and(frankly) it was inexpensive when I was a younger, poorer officer.

I'm no fanboy, though. I like the ease of service, the durable finish and reliability.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Can you elaborate? I ask because some of our nations first use them to shoot evil people quite successfully.
    As I said, most incarnations - many people mod the hell out of the gun. I see strength in the basic concept, but then people start gaming them up with cosmetic slide mods, what I consider to be excessive polymer alterations, what I consider to be questionable FCG changes - stuff like that. Keep it basic, and it makes sense to me unless the goal is building a gaming gun.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    As I said, most incarnations - many people mod the hell out of the gun. I see strength in the basic concept, but then people start gaming them up with cosmetic slide mods, what I consider to be excessive polymer alterations, what I consider to be questionable FCG changes - stuff like that. Keep it basic, and it makes sense to me unless the goal is building a gaming gun.
    Gotcha. Those are mods I dislike and distrust on any Glock. I don’t view them as RS specific but maybe that’s just me.

User Tag List