Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: A "hand rifle" for an SRO

I'd say that is a pretty high bar.

Movers at distance, eh? I guess I should have broken out the 8" steel swinger with 8" steel activator that I had in the back of my SUV. I usually set it up with a barrel stack in front of the mechanism, for example blocking the middle-left for this picture and only allowing intermittent exposures on the right. We could have shot that from 10 out to 30 yards easily.

I have the trainer version where the plate is fixed, allowing you to re-engage it repeatedly as opposed to the plate falling off after the first hit.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    I'd say that is a pretty high bar.

Movers at distance, eh? I guess I should have broken out the 8" steel swinger with 8" steel activator that I had in the back of my SUV. I usually set it up with a barrel stack in front of the mechanism, for example blocking the middle-left for this picture and only allowing intermittent exposures on the right. We could have shot that from 10 out to 30 yards easily.

I have the trainer version where the plate is fixed, allowing you to re-engage it repeatedly as opposed to the plate falling off after the first hit.
    Nice. You wore me out as it was!

Yes. It is a high bar. Like, rifle high.

Does the HandRifle(all rights reserved) exist? It is similar in concept to SOCOM's "Offensive Handgun"

Does combination of stability, trigger, sights(optics or sight radius) and reliability exist?
    Last edited by feudist; 09-24-2018 at 12:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    Nice. You wore me out as it was!

Yes. It is a high bar. Like, rifle high.

Does the HandRifle(all rights reserved) exist? It is similar in concept to SOCOM's "Offensive Handgun"

Does combination of stability, trigger, sights(optics or sight radius) and reliability exist?
    Agreed it’s a very high bar. That list says whatever your version of a Roland Special is to me. I might wait 6 months and see how the Aimpoint Acro shakes out.

Good luck and thanks for doing what you’re doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    A zone hits at on a moving target at distances up to 50 yards while sorting the no shoots(also moving) that are both downrange and uprange of the target.

The fastest possible engagement time since every half second delay equals another killed or crippled child.

The range required could even be higher, as I've seen 75 yard hallways in schools, and the target could well be a head if the shooter has a vest(I'm not aware of any

who had them, though)

Followup shots to burn him down.

Doing this after a 50 yard sprint.

Multiple mass casualty bags pre-staged.

?

Clearly, whatever I go with, I need to double my practice regime and start shooting matches. Shooting on the clock with you watching me reminded me of the

valuable pressure that provides.
    You've described marksmanship problems that would challenge world champion shooters when using a pistol. The shooting problem becomes a lot less difficult with a rifle. I know I'd hate to be walking around all day wearing a backpack with a folded AR pistol or SBR in it but I'd be pretty glad to have one if faced with a 50y head shot on a moving target surrounded by no-shoots. Would something like that be practical for your position? I've never seen an SRO who kept a small AR on their person at all times but is that because of impracticality or just because of policies, societal expectations, etc? @Dagga Boy has spoken about police responses being something along the lines of driving 100mph to get into a rifle fight with a pistol. As an SRO responsible for a single school, you have the opportunity to bring a rifle to the rifle fight if you're willing to wear a backpack whenever outside of your office (assuming they give you an office).
    Last edited by WobblyPossum; 09-24-2018 at 12:20 PM.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    You've described marksmanship problems that would challenge world champion shooters when using a pistol. The shooting problem becomes a lot less difficult with a rifle. I know I'd hate to be walking around all day wearing a backpack with a folded AR pistol or SBR in it but I'd be pretty glad to have one if faced with a 50y head shot on a moving target surrounded by no-shoots. Would something like that be practical for your position? I've never seen an SRO who kept a small AR on their person at all times but is that because of impracticality or just because of policies, societal expectations, etc? @Dagga Boy has spoken about police responses being something along the lines of driving 100mph to get into a rifle fight with a pistol. As an SRO responsible for a single school, you have the opportunity to bring a rifle to the rifle fight if you're willing to wear a backpack whenever outside of your office (assuming they give you an office).
    I'll have a rifle available, but probably locked in my car. I don't yet know exactly which school I'm assigned to yet(there are close to 35 possibilities. I think

best case I could secure it in an office, possibly.

Yeah the problem is world class, and I sure ain't. That's why I'd like every possible advantage in a Special Purpose pistol.

An 8.5” 300BO shooting 110gr supersonics with a Law folder, an Aimpoint, and 20rd mag would fit in a pretty small bag

https://dawsonprecision.com/warren-t...r-long-slides/

Name:  528-052__24364.1430919764.60.60.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  1.5 KB

I have these sights on several Glock 17's. With the .245 tall sight they hit behind the dot. With my old guy vision I can see the sights pretty well and it is fast and easy to put the big dot where you want the bullet to go. It's very instinctive for me.

I would suggest a Glock 17, that you would already be familiar with, and these sights and a lot of practice hitting smaller targets on demand. Sound like you are already ahead of most who are in your position. Having a Glock, that is nothing special to the general public, seems like a positive.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    Some thread drift here and I apologize.

I’ve taken a few of Saurez’s Pistol classes in AZ as disclosure going on 8 to 10 years ago. Not a supporter or detractor. He is what he is.

I get it. Saurez is definitely chasing the cash and his history of choices is not so good.

But he has seen/touched/heard that elephant we all talk about here. I would suggest that there is value in what he has written or taught and be careful not to dismiss the lessons because of the flaws.
    Yeager has said a lot of things I agree with. Doesn't mean I'll go searching his opinion out.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    Frankly, I dismiss him because he's historically been a contrarian for the sake of selling something different while simultaneously elitist about his methods and choices. Put simply, "Pick and do what I pick and do, because I pick and do it". Last time I was on warriortalk, some many years ago, he also referred to himself as Tribal Warlord or something asinine like that. None of that is my style.
    He was balls deep into AK's when nobody but him, me, @Hizzie, and like 4 other people were shooting them. Once they started gaining popularity what once was "excellence" was no longer "excellence".

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post

And Suarez is what he is, his site is full of him contradicting himself when the dollar gets in the way. Yes I believe he is simply rebranding parts others make, and warriortalk is full of fanboys, but there are diamonds in the rough there. A customized glock delivering more accuracy is is better. I don't have to swallow the koolaide to recognize good ideas, Some of those good ideas are his. I support him with my dollars not because I belive him to be a prince, but he can usually provide what I want now. Quite frankly, I have found his business practices...less than ideal. But the market is there and his niche is there and I want what i want. My interactions have been good as a whole, despite some hiccups, and thus I have no problem using and recommending some of his products.

You do with your dollars what you think you should. I will use mine as I see fit.

pat
    I'm sure there is good info there, but if I have to wear waders up past my nipples to sort through the bullshit I'll spend my time researching elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Who is “we”? Where is your data showing a reduction in speed at close range due to the use of the dot? What defines “super close”? How much time/how many rounds have you spent using an RDS-equipped pistol?
    We - a generic term to describe a group. A number of folks have reported - at least initially - slower shots at distances of > 7 yards, because of dot hunting.

My data are from my own shot timers, where I was consistently two-tenths slower on first shot with a dot at > 7 yards. And anecdotally the discussion other folks (primarily here) discuss.

Not as much time as I probably should have. I've done about 5,000 rounds and probably triple that in dry-fire work. I think part of my issue was I was working a different platform at the time as well.

___

The impression that I get is, the 'shorter distance speed problem' is a software problem to a degree. The dot is sometimes simply not there when you press-out, if you hunt for it, you slow down. If you can accept "just roll with it" when you press-out speed seems to go up significantly. In other words, trusting the dot will be there. I, personally, couldn't get over the mental hump and kept searching for the dot. I think you just have to train out of it.

___

With regards to vision. I've got 20/45 vision in my dominant eye and 20/50 in my non-dominant eye. I'm also extremely myopic and have a high degree of astigmatism. I am not able to make out the front sight on any handgun with my glasses off, unless it is supremely large and distinct from the rear sight (which kind of defeats the purpose of aligning sights). But I can make out out a red-dot quite easily (I only suffer minor 'dot bloom'). A laser also helps tremendously when used like I described before (where it halos the front sight, it acts as a beacon for the front sight for me).

If I were in a scenario (like being a police officer/SRO) where I had to wear corrective lenses and may have to take long distance shots. Either contacts or - sports goggles, would be my eye wear choices. The goggles look goofy as shit, but offer considerable eye protection and stay on your head much better than glasses. I'd seriously consider a laser-MRDS equipped platform too. Anything that shadows the front sight (like a WML) also helps me see it so I can reliably take shots at longer distances. Sports goggles also work great for shooting sports when you wear muffs, the muffs easily go over the rubber strap holding them on and seal quite well (unlike with the arms of glasses). Goggles also work well, if you live someplace cold in the winter, because they seal around the eye sockets, cutting down on fogging and also cold getting in (sucks so hard to feel your eyeballs freeze).

There's a lot of support for the RDS and I've been watching the RDS threads over the last few years as reported in this forum and others.

I am definitely considering doing this to one of my Glocks. It seems to be the only "Arrow, not the Indian " solution that provides Order of Magnitude performance increase.

I train, and I'll even train more- but I want to buy all the points that I can.

User Tag List