Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: A "hand rifle" for an SRO

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Where we see the red dot fail is at super fast, super close shots. Which - is what the green laser is for.
    Why a green laser? Has green been shown to be a better choice than red?

My laser experience is limited to making cats chase them (when we had cats) and a couple of mags through a friends pistol so I'm more clueless than usual on this...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Where we see the red dot fail is at super fast, super close shots. Which - is what the green laser is for. To aid dot acquisition at speed (or as a backup if the sight dies). Placed in this scenario - I would focus on high speed, high accuracy with the most mechanically precise gun you can get your hands on. Period.

I’d probably stop shooting at anything larger than a B8 or an obscured B8. Or a 3x5” note card cut to 1.5”x5” (occular window stand in).

And I’d practice until I couldn’t miss from 5” to 50-yards.
    I’m not disputing you, but to me it’s counterituitive to mentally switch between sighting systems on the fly like that. Then again, I have a hard time breathing and thinking at the same time...

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    Suarez' blog has lots of articles on active shooter stuff, and info on accurizing glocks to the task. Everything from Suarez stamped Roland Special types to PDWs with an arm brace, to match grade barrels and FCGs. I am partial to his flat trigger, milled striker, and NP3 finished internals. He will also sell you everything you want to put in or hang off your pistol. I don't agree with everything he says, but my duty piece is a gen 4 MOS with RMR, with Suarez internals. Thinking seriously about a match grade barrel and slide. For the fun of it in the next couple of years I will be building a Roland Special. Chuck wouldn't know me from Adam, but we have exchanged emails and board post on lightfighter and others for the last 18 years or so, and I kinda want, moreso since I found out that he and Jon were involved in hatching it.

pat
    His parts aren’t anything special. They’re just rebranded parts made by someone else.

Saurez also disgraced his badge and is a felon.

There's plenty of good Americans to give our money to.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Why a green laser? Has green been shown to be a better choice than red?

My laser experience is limited to making cats chase them (when we had cats) and a couple of mags through a friends pistol so I'm more clueless than usual on this...
    It’s typically brighter and easier to see. If it’s a backup to a red dot it’s easoer to tell which one you’re looking at.

Two suggestions:

1. Try a Glock 34 and see if you (a) like it and (b) shoot better/faster with it.
    If yes and you want a red dot sight, get a standard G34 and have it milled by one of the companies doing it who knows what they are doing - Glock MOS cut is less than ideal.

Obviously not a pistol...
    2. SBR AR with a Law Tactical Folding Stock Adapter in a dedicated weapon bag.
    Discreet or obvious weapon bag depending on the "political climate" of the department/school.
    The backpack type weapon bags (made specifically for a compact rifle with a folded stock) are not going to draw attention as you carry it in/out of the school and/or around the school if necessary - the more you are seen with the bag, the less anyone will notice it.
    A small safe or secure .mil grade locker bolted to the wall or floor on your SRO office (assuming you have an office) for storage during the day and never leave the rifle overnight.

Law Tactical - link
    https://www.lawtactical.com/ar_foldi..._m_p/99312.htm

tp
    Last edited by tango-papa; 09-23-2018 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    If it’s a backup to a red dot it’s easoer to tell which one you’re looking at.
    That's an excellent point I've never considered. Thanks!
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    I am not law enforcement in any way or no history of it. Actually never been in a fight so I don’t know anything.

I would address the concerns with daily dry practice, weekly live fire, and a program of regular cardio and strength training. Add some shooting competition if you can have more to give your goals.

Try that for six months and then address any hardware improvements.

If I knew a fight was coming I would think I couldn’t do too many pushups or too many good dry presses. I wish I was better at that.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I’m not disputing you, but to me it’s counterituitive to mentally switch between sighting systems on the fly like that. Then again, I have a hard time breathing and thinking at the same time...
    It is something you need to practice, but it's not particularly difficult, IME. You would have to do the same for any time you use a laser, anyway, to be able to switch sighting systems on the fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    I personally remain unconvinced that an RDS specific class is needed, though the caveat to that is that I've never taken one, either. This is not to say that the RDS-specific classes are bad, I'm sure you can learn much from most of the instructors that offer such classes, I just don't think that RDSes are necessarily different enough from irons to warrant a class specific to them, rather than just taking any reputable instructor's pistol course.
    Seems you could say the same thing about DA/SA trigger, for instance. If you’re running those systems, it makes a lot of sense to take some training from guys that truly understand and appreciate those systems. Pannone, Ops Spec, HiTS, and Langdon come immediately to mind. Do you have to? Of course not.

Having taken Jedi’s 2 day class, I think a 1-day class, or attending the first day of a 2 day class, would get you 90% of the RDS specific training benefits. That said, Scott is a good shooter and a damn fine shooting instructor. His training pedigree is solid. He’s a solid option if you’re looking to shoot better.

I was the only one in the class with no pistol mounted RDS experience. I borrowed a gun for the class and still don’t have a RDS equipped gun. During introductions, everyone in the class said they had given the RDS a fair shake and struggled with it. Everyone in the class demonstrated marked improvement by the end of second day. I would bet if you polled them now, 6 months later, they would all agree that taking the class shaved off at least $400 in time and ammo going it alone.

FWIW, Scott is teaching his RDS class in ATL in Nov.
    David S.

User Tag List