Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: A "hand rifle" for an SRO

A "hand rifle" for an SRO

Starting an SRO job inside an elementary school as my retirement job. The gig was created specifically as a response to the vile school shooter craze.

Every since I first heard about it I wondered: what pistol/configuration would be the best? I have carte blanche as to make/model/caliber/load.

I'll have a rifle-in my car. The threat profile is mostly a single assailant, moving fast and bent on murder-suicide.

The circumstances are quite different than Patrol,eg, the extreme downrange and uprange hazard, possibly scores of no-shoots all around, and a substantial increase in engagement ranges. Just look down a modern school hallway sometime.

This inclines me towards an extremely precise, perhaps optically sighted pistol.

I currently carry a G19 that's essentially stock, with typical night sights. I practice weekly(sometimes weakly) and am not a prodigy. I shot my way into "B" class once,by a fraction. Back in 2000-nought-1.Especially at ranges past 10 yards I am suffering from failing eyesight and never really focusing on training at that range. In my career on the screet, contact to 7-10 yards was far and away most likely.

And the damned no-shoots just weren't so little.

I've been watching the RMR movement with great interest. I have a S&W MP22C with a FF# on it and can see the benefits. So installing a RMR onto my newest Glock 19FS is a definite possibility.

I thought about a G34 for the longer sight radius and started a thread about it, but the consensus was muddled.

I have carried some sort of Glock as my duty/off duty piece since 1994-but if there's a better mousetrap in these specific circumstances ...I'll drop it like a bad habit.

Hell, I thought about thumb cocking a 6" .357 if that's what getting a quick decisive hit takes.

I’d look for an SAO Sig or Beretta with an RDS. Find an accurate load hit the range. This is mostly a software issue.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    If accuracy is a huge factor, you're in luck. Glocks Gen 5 guns are good.

I've started testing a Smith and Wesson M&P with a gunsmith fit Apex barrel and it's a very accurate setup. If I was looking for a gun that can print a 1" group at 25 yards then that's the one I'd choose.

I've shot and been extremely impressed with the HK VP9 and have heard a Walther PPQ is similarly accurate. It will likely boil down to your ability to control the trigger

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

So, you barely made it into B class nearly 18 years ago? What's your current training regimen like or what is your plan to improve on this moving forward?

Nearly every service pistol on the market today will meet the accuracy requirement of your job. You have the most experience shooting Glocks. Do you feel like you're being hampered by your current platform in some way? Would time spent learning a new platform be better time spent furthering your development with what you're already familiar with?

What other handguns do you have experience with and what did you think of them? Do you have a preference for Striker over DA/SA? For you, would the time spent learning a new trigger system be better than time spent improving with your current gear? This talk about hand rifles and thumb-cocking revolvers has me wondering if you should restructure your priorities a bit, here.

I honestly do not contemplate optimizing for longer shots with my carry weapons, as a civ I would have a hard time justifying distance shots in just about any circumstance I could encounter.

That said, I think if I were put in this position I would definitely be looking at a RDS equipped gun - if Glock probably a 19 or 19X. I personally shoot irons on longer slides better (see your other thread), but I can see where a RDS would trump iron sight precision at longer distances.

Seems like something that the ALG 6 Second Mount would be a good choice for, short of something with an actual stock, such as the B&T USW or perhaps the B&T MP9. Those are still small enough to fit into a holster.

I would think that any modern service pistol would be able to meet the mechanical accuracy aspect.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 09-22-2018 at 03:39 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    Starting an SRO job inside an elementary school as my retirement job. The gig was created specifically as a response to the vile school shooter craze.

Every since I first heard about it I wondered: what pistol/configuration would be the best? I have carte blanche as to make/model/caliber/load.

I'll have a rifle-in my car. The threat profile is mostly a single assailant, moving fast and bent on murder-suicide.

The circumstances are quite different than Patrol,eg, the extreme downrange and uprange hazard, possibly scores of no-shoots all around, and a substantial increase in engagement ranges. Just look down a modern school hallway sometime.

This inclines me towards an extremely precise, perhaps optically sighted pistol.

I currently carry a G19 that's essentially stock, with typical night sights. I practice weekly(sometimes weakly) and am not a prodigy. I shot my way into "B" class once,by a fraction. Back in 2000-nought-1.Especially at ranges past 10 yards I am suffering from failing eyesight and never really focusing on training at that range. In my career on the screet, contact to 7-10 yards was far and away most likely.

And the damned no-shoots just weren't so little.

I've been watching the RMR movement with great interest. I have a S&W MP22C with a FF# on it and can see the benefits. So installing a RMR onto my newest Glock 19FS is a definite possibility.

I thought about a G34 for the longer sight radius and started a thread about it, but the consensus was muddled.

I have carried some sort of Glock as my duty/off duty piece since 1994-but if there's a better mousetrap in these specific circumstances ...I'll drop it like a bad habit.

Hell, I thought about thumb cocking a 6" .357 if that's what getting a quick decisive hit takes.
    RDS Pistol is the answer here.

Given you are likely “it” for the most critical time the capacity / reload negatives of a revolver outweigh the positive. Plus you have a lot of time on Glocks.

If you want to stick with you 19FS the question is do you want a direct mill for an RMR or have L&M precision cut the slide for the Atom System in case you want to switch optics.

Personally I think I would go with an RDS 19x for the longer grip and more rounds but some people do better with the G19 grip and some do better with the G17 grip.

Glock has a factory Gen 5 17 MOS with FCS coming out which seems like it or an equivalent G19 would fit the bill perfectly.

A SIG P226 SAO can also be cut for an RDS.

Name:  946F5D94-F277-4215-9A8C-1BF67B714613.jpg
Views: 1212
Size:  23.4 KB
    Last edited by HCM; 09-22-2018 at 03:53 PM.

As stated it’s the shooter more than the weapon. Train often and do the dry fire practice 99% of LEO’s refuse to do. End each range session with Paul Howe’s hostage target.

I’d wait for the ACRO to see if it’s as good as many of us expect it to be.

Maybe then a G19X with a KKM comp? Same OAL as a G34 so it fits a duty holster and gives you the full grip.

Site Supporter
    To take advantage of the RDS you should invest in some RDS specific training. Scott Jedlinski “Asian Jedi” here on PF comes to mind but there are others.

https://modern-samurai-project.myshopify.com

Failing that some additional training with your RDS pistol. Chase Jenkins of Talon Defense and Frank Proctor are both based in AL.
    Last edited by HCM; 09-22-2018 at 04:04 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    As stated it’s the shooter more than the weapon. Train often and do the dry fire practice 99% of LEO’s refuse to do. End each range session with Paul Howe’s hostage target.

I’d wait for the ACRO to see if it’s as good as many of us expect it to be.

Maybe then a G19X with a KKM comp? Same OAL as a G34 so it fits a duty holster and gives you the full grip.
    High percentage “no fail” shots are one of the niches for the “Roland Special.”

User Tag List