Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AIWB mag changes???

A video of Gabe White reloading from AIWB

Slow Mo

I tried to mimic Gabes technique when figuring out how to do AIWB reloads. It helped me alot. Basically it helps me to grab the cover garment and pull it up, then go straight to the mag. I dont try to pin the garment with my thumb or anything like that. If i just go from the lifted garment straight to the mag with my hand still in contact with or close to my body then it helps keep it out of the way. If i try to float my hand out and to the mag i sometimes foul.

Im no Gabe White, but here is a few failed 1 second par reloads. 3 with a 1911, 3 with a Glock 17. Notice I go from pulling the garmwnt up straight to the magazine index, and that makes me naturally keep my garment clear if I dont float my hand away from the body.

Hope this makes sense or helps.

-Cory

EDIT: Im on my phone. Apologies for spelling errors or grammar or whatever I may have missed
    Last edited by Cory; 09-23-2018 at 11:43 AM.

It's interesting that he seems to "meet in the middle" with the gun and mag, not keeping the gun up close to eye level like I've been instructed to in training. For the life of me I can't seem to train myself to do it the way I've been trained and always seem to do it similar to Mr. White only I do it at sloth speed.
    Last edited by Spartan1980; 09-23-2018 at 11:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    It's interesting that he seems to "meet in the middle" with the gun and mag, not keeping the gun up close to eye level like I've been instructed to in training. For the life of me I can't seem to train myself to do it the way I've been trained and always seem to do it similar to Mr. White only I do it at sloth speed.
    Vogel brings his gun in too.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    Nothing makes a reload harder/slower than trying to hold the gun out at the target and insert the mag like you're doing some sort of babyshark dance alligator chomp motion. Index that elbow on your ribcage and angle the magwell towards where the new mag is coming from to "enable it to willingly receive its bounty"
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by DAVE_M View Post
    Vogel brings his gun in too.

I took it to mean that he's bringing the gun down to the middle?
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

Thank you all for the replies and input!

I am running a JMCK AIWB mag pouch. I also have a higher-ride JMCK pouch on order.

Like others have mentioned, I have tended to have better and more consistent reloads when I bring the pistol in closer (triceps close to ribcage) and probably lower (upper ab/lower pec) than some trainers would recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by JustOneGun View Post
    I took it to mean that he's bringing the gun down to the middle?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uVa2iNUYvI

This is how I do it

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    Nothing makes a reload harder/slower than trying to hold the gun out at the target and insert the mag like you're doing some sort of babyshark dance alligator chomp motion. Index that elbow on your ribcage and angle the magwell towards where the new mag is coming from to "enable it to willingly receive its bounty"

I was taught that as a 'palm up' manipulation and it carries over nicely to/from the carbine too.

Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post
    A video of Gabe White reloading from AIWB

Slow Mo

I tried to mimic Gabes technique when figuring out how to do AIWB reloads. It helped me alot. Basically it helps me to grab the cover garment and pull it up, then go straight to the mag. I dont try to pin the garment with my thumb or anything like that. If i just go from the lifted garment straight to the mag with my hand still in contact with or close to my body then it helps keep it out of the way. If i try to float my hand out and to the mag i sometimes foul.

Im no Gabe White, but here is a few failed 1 second par reloads. 3 with a 1911, 3 with a Glock 17. Notice I go from pulling the garmwnt up straight to the magazine index, and that makes me naturally keep my garment clear if I dont float my hand away from the body.

Hope this makes sense or helps.

-Cory

EDIT: Im on my phone. Apologies for spelling errors or grammar or whatever I may have missed
    Thanks Cory, I was just on my way to post those vids in answer to the question.

Nothing has changed for me technique-wise for an AIWB reload since I made that video. Though because concealment concerns are lightening up for me at present, I just switched back to support side OWB pouches - this time around, JMCK instead of Blade Tech. These JMCKs are great!

For me from AIWB pouches, it is really key to drive the support hand fingers to the leg almost at the crotch to reliably clear the shirt, and have the magazine ride height optimized so I can get the deepest grip on the magazine that I can. Those two things minimize the errors for me.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

User Tag List